d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > D C A State ??
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,169.82
Apr 22 2021 01:14pm
Quote (Santara @ Apr 22 2021 09:13pm)
This town has a city council and a mayor, like pretty much every other city in the country.

Every city is also part of a state, though.

Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 22 2021 09:14pm)
When constitution says no, no means no.

To be entirely honest, a constitution should have no business defining rules for specific subdivisions of the country, but that's just my opinion.

This post was edited by Leevee on Apr 22 2021 01:15pm
Gold: 8,933.00
Apr 22 2021 01:17pm
Quote (Leevee @ Apr 22 2021 02:14pm)

Correct, but one of the reasons for the federal district was to prevent a state from interfering with the conduct of governing the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Mutiny_of_1783
Gold: 2,489.69
Apr 22 2021 01:22pm
Quote (Leevee @ Apr 22 2021 02:14pm)

To be entirely honest, a constitution should have no business defining rules for specific subdivisions of the country, but that's just my opinion.

most non US citizens think half of what's in there isn't something that should be set in stone. but it is and thats really all there is to it. not because it's right, because its law, and because of the crazy hard process required to make it unlaw.
Gold: 5,169.82
Apr 22 2021 01:26pm
Quote (Santara @ Apr 22 2021 09:17pm)
Correct, but one of the reasons for the federal district was to prevent a state from interfering with the conduct of governing the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Mutiny_of_1783

That's interesting. A mutiny like that certainly would strengthen the sentiment that a state could cause more harm than good. It's an emotional argument rather than a rational one, but that's how politics often go.

Thanks for enlightening me about that.

Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 22 2021 09:22pm)
most non US citizens think half of what's in there isn't something that should be set in stone. but it is and thats really all there is to it. not because it's right, because its law, and because of the crazy hard process required to make it unlaw.

I swear, you guys understood the separation of religion and state, and then went ahead and gave your state a bible of its own.
Gold: 12,730.67
Apr 22 2021 01:27pm
Statehood admission has always been highly charged and political so we have to keep that in mind. To me, the amount of land area shouldn't really matter for whether something is a state or not. We have city-state countries (Singapore, Vatican, and Monaco) and some incredibly small countries as well. When it comes to representation, the primary aspect is the number of people. Suppose DC had the population of Tokyo. Would we really accept millions of people being taxed without representation? Of course not. They already get 3 electoral votes (which is the same as some of the smaller states) and I think we're all in agreement that they should at least have voting rights in the House so it really comes down to representation in the Senate.

- Washington DC's population would be on the lower end and is on par with North Dakota and Vermont. It'd be in the bottom 5 for sure.
- Their GDP is greater than Arkansas and is the HIGHEST GDP/capita in the country by a substantial margin.

What are your thoughts on exempting all DC residents from federal taxes?

Apr 22 2021 01:28pm
Quote (Leevee @ Apr 22 2021 02:26pm)
That's interesting. A mutiny like that certainly would strengthen the sentiment that a state could cause more harm than good. It's an emotional argument rather than a rational one, but that's how politics often go.

Thanks for enlightening me about that.

I swear, you guys understood the separation of religion and state, and then went ahead and gave your state a bible of its own.

the founding fathers feared power, mostly because they couldn't agree on how much to give themselves or what they should do with it.

Quote (thundercock @ Apr 22 2021 02:27pm)
Statehood admission has always been highly charged and political so we have to keep that in mind. To me, the amount of land area shouldn't really matter for whether something is a state or not. We have city-state countries (Singapore, Vatican, and Monaco) and some incredibly small countries as well. When it comes to representation, the primary aspect is the number of people. Suppose DC had the population of Tokyo. Would we really accept millions of people being taxed without representation? Of course not. They already get 3 electoral votes (which is the same as some of the smaller states) and I think we're all in agreement that they should at least have voting rights in the House so it really comes down to representation in the Senate.

- Washington DC's population would be on the lower end and is on par with North Dakota and Vermont. It'd be in the bottom 5 for sure.
- Their GDP is greater than Arkansas and is the HIGHEST GDP/capita in the country by a substantial margin.

a resounding fuck no.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 22 2021 01:31pm
Apr 22 2021 01:32pm
This post is a violation of the site rules and appropriate action was taken.

Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 22 2021 12:28pm)

a resounding fuck no.

Oh, so you're okay with taxation without representation? Why don't you suck on Prince Phillip's dead dick you Red Coat loving FAGGOT.
Apr 22 2021 01:34pm
Quote (thundercock @ Apr 22 2021 02:32pm)
Oh, so you're okay with taxation without representation? Why don't you suck on Prince Phillip's dead dick you Red Coat loving FAGGOT.

its Tea flavored btw

poor plebs in DC ghetto do lack representation, and their rich lobbying counterparts have too much representation.

cancels out.
Gold: 633.87
Apr 22 2021 01:35pm
Quote (thundercock @ Apr 22 2021 03:27pm)

That wealth is derived from the federal government, and the federal government represents them. I would say that their representation already far outstrips what is reasonably required.
Apr 22 2021 01:36pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Apr 22 2021 12:35pm)
That wealth is derived from the federal government, and the federal government represents them. I would say that their representation already far outstrips what is reasonably required.

Aren't you from Massachusetts? John Adams would shit in your mouth for saying those words. Sam Adams would do far worse.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll