d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1887888889890891910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,384.69
Jan 24 2021 08:04am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 24 Jan 2021 13:27)
That's interesting, but the more important question is how much asymptomatic cases contribute to the spread of the disease, as opposed to presymptomatic patients.

Enough to create clusters which are, in non-pandemic times, tracked and neutralized, and not even a problem if many people are vaccinated.
Doesn't change much now, since this plague will haunt us for very long time, like classic flu maybe... Doing some back and forth
with poorer countries. People will take simple habit to wear a mask when they are feeling a bit sick or when taking subway, like in Japan or SK.

/e this is where i hope strong (aka hardly corruptible) nations will be able to nationalize vaccines, especially since they are not really hard to create and produce.
Or to force their own labs to sell with low profit.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Jan 24 2021 08:15am
Gold: 83.30
Jan 24 2021 09:13am
Welp riots in my city. Part Pegida, part hooligan, part anti-Covid measures. Lots of rock throwing and illegal fireworks.

https://twitter.com/SamHvNL/status/1353341944437624833

Several test locations have been set on fire too in different cities.

Gold: 4.23
Jan 24 2021 09:21am
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/opinion-lockdowns-and-curfews-hurt-not-help-1.5274479?cid=sm:trueanthem:ctvmontreal:post&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:%20Trending%20Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3re9Mug5aJ0v2DqxS4DqBbwOxeXXwvg-W-DDKHWkBIkWT7CiuWbW8QUY0

According to a study in the Lancet on Aug.18, 2020 looking at the mortality rate in 50 countries ranked by the highest number of cases: “Full lockdowns, border closures, and high rate of COVID-19 testing were not associated with reduced number of critical cases or overall mortality.” Longer lockdowns led to higher death rates. Conversely, the longer the delays in implementing lockdowns led to lower mortality rates. The factors associated with the highest mortality included unemployment, obesity, and age.

A World Health Organization (WHO) Writing Group, concluded that “forced isolation and quarantine are ineffective and impractical.” In October 2020 the World Health Organization’s special envoy on COVID-19 urged world leaders to stop “using lockdowns as your primary control method.” Small gatherings could be allowed with the usual precautions.

In a study published by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in October 2020, there was an increase not only in COVID deaths compared to the previous year but also about 100,000 non-COVID deaths. In the 25-44 year-old group, which has an extremely high chance of recovery of COVID, there was a 26.5 per cent increase in deaths in this group. Many of these deaths can be attributable to “deaths of despair.”

In addition, people who need vital healthcare services have seen their right to life and security violated. A survey released on July 14, 2020 by the Canadian Cancer Survivor Network (CCSN) reveals that “the disruption of cancer care due to COVID-19 has triggered another public health crisis. In fact, more than half (54 per cent) of Canadian cancer patients, caregivers and those awaiting confirmation of a cancer diagnosis report having had appointments, tests and treatment postponed and cancelled.” According to the same survey, “most affected by the disruption in cancer care during the pandemic are those awaiting confirmation of a diagnosis and recently diagnosed patients (74 per cent and 73 per cent respectively), who are at a critical time in their cancer journey.”

No scientific evidence supports that the recently imposed curfew will help decrease the rate of infections. In fact, “Quebec’s Public Health Director, Horacio Arruda, admitted he couldn’t provide data to show that a curfew can reduce COVID-19 infections, but he said that it sends a signal.” (The Globe and Mail Jan. 7). Premier Legault called this “shock treatment”. Is it wise to administer a “shock treatment” to a population already mentally fragile after 10 months of deprivations?

What a shit hole im living in

This post was edited by THCHunter on Jan 24 2021 09:24am
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 24 2021 09:39am
Quote (THCHunter @ 24 Jan 2021 16:21)
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/opinion-lockdowns-and-curfews-hurt-not-help-1.5274479?cid=sm:trueanthem:ctvmontreal:post&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:%20Trending%20Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3re9Mug5aJ0v2DqxS4DqBbwOxeXXwvg-W-DDKHWkBIkWT7CiuWbW8QUY0

According to a study in the Lancet on Aug.18, 2020 looking at the mortality rate in 50 countries ranked by the highest number of cases: “Full lockdowns, border closures, and high rate of COVID-19 testing were not associated with reduced number of critical cases or overall mortality.” Longer lockdowns led to higher death rates. Conversely, the longer the delays in implementing lockdowns led to lower mortality rates. The factors associated with the highest mortality included unemployment, obesity, and age.

A World Health Organization (WHO) Writing Group, concluded that “forced isolation and quarantine are ineffective and impractical.” In October 2020 the World Health Organization’s special envoy on COVID-19 urged world leaders to stop “using lockdowns as your primary control method.” Small gatherings could be allowed with the usual precautions.

In a study published by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in October 2020, there was an increase not only in COVID deaths compared to the previous year but also about 100,000 non-COVID deaths. In the 25-44 year-old group, which has an extremely high chance of recovery of COVID, there was a 26.5 per cent increase in deaths in this group. Many of these deaths can be attributable to “deaths of despair.”

In addition, people who need vital healthcare services have seen their right to life and security violated. A survey released on July 14, 2020 by the Canadian Cancer Survivor Network (CCSN) reveals that “the disruption of cancer care due to COVID-19 has triggered another public health crisis. In fact, more than half (54 per cent) of Canadian cancer patients, caregivers and those awaiting confirmation of a cancer diagnosis report having had appointments, tests and treatment postponed and cancelled.” According to the same survey, “most affected by the disruption in cancer care during the pandemic are those awaiting confirmation of a diagnosis and recently diagnosed patients (74 per cent and 73 per cent respectively), who are at a critical time in their cancer journey.”

No scientific evidence supports that the recently imposed curfew will help decrease the rate of infections. In fact, “Quebec’s Public Health Director, Horacio Arruda, admitted he couldn’t provide data to show that a curfew can reduce COVID-19 infections, but he said that it sends a signal.” (The Globe and Mail Jan. 7). Premier Legault called this “shock treatment”. Is it wise to administer a “shock treatment” to a population already mentally fragile after 10 months of deprivations?

What a shit hole im living in

I generally agree that curfews and lockdowns are less effective than the mainstream opinion thinks they are, and largely oppose them, but still... concluding that "longer lockdowns are associated with higher death rates " based on a comparison of different countries with a myriad of differing conditions is just gross statistical malpractice. Even first semester students could tell you that that's a prime example of "correlation does not imply causation". If there is any causation here, it will definitely go the other way: worse affected countries with higher death rates will tend to keep up their lockdowns for a longer period of time.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 24 2021 09:41am
Gold: 6.66
Jan 25 2021 08:24pm
Just got the call that I tested positive. Nice.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 25 2021 08:34pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 24 2021 07:39am)
I generally agree that curfews and lockdowns are less effective than the mainstream opinion thinks they are, and largely oppose them, but still... concluding that "longer lockdowns are associated with higher death rates " based on a comparison of different countries with a myriad of differing conditions is just gross statistical malpractice. Even first semester students could tell you that that's a prime example of "correlation does not imply causation". If there is any causation here, it will definitely go the other way: worse affected countries with higher death rates will tend to keep up their lockdowns for a longer period of time.

This is right on the money. You only need lockdowns if you're already experiencing high death rates. Lockdowns are supposed to be a last resort sort of measure.
Gold: 0.88
Jan 25 2021 08:36pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 25 2021 09:24pm)
Just got the call that I tested positive. Nice.

keep us updated??? also best of luck :)
Gold: 6.66
Jan 25 2021 08:38pm
Quote (GarryGarry @ Jan 25 2021 06:36pm)
keep us updated??? also best of luck :)

Thanks, friend! I'm doing well. I originally thought I had the flu as I felt the body aches and fatigue, but then I ate some peanut butter and couldn't taste it. Got tested that same day and the rest is history.
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 25 2021 09:06pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 26 Jan 2021 03:38)
Thanks, friend! I'm doing well. I originally thought I had the flu as I felt the body aches and fatigue, but then I ate some peanut butter and couldn't taste it. Got tested that same day and the rest is history.

Stay safe and get well soon!
Gold: 17,384.69
Jan 25 2021 10:14pm
France could start lockdown in 5 days
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1887888889890891910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll