d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1878879880881882910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Jan 18 2021 10:26am
Quote (bogie160 @ Jan 18 2021 10:16am)
I think the first step is to treat China akin to what they are, and not what our more optimistic pacifists hope they can be.

There was a lot of criticism at the time alleging that China was misrepresenting the situation. It is not like the only information we had was coming from Chinese officials, but the WHO made the decision to promote Chinese disinformation. We can't pretend that all is good.

i think the idea that Chinese information isnt accurate is fairly widespread in the USA. i dont remember people at the start of the pandemic saying "well china and the WHO say its all fine". in fact i remember widespread panic, even as assurances came in. and i remember people dogging the WHO rightfully when they were against masks and then changed their tune a week or so later.

in short, china is a known scammer and the WHO isnt a real authority figure to almost anyone. they're an advisory board like the UN and taken not seriously at all.
Gold: 57.00
Jan 18 2021 11:06am
Quote (bogie160 @ 18 Jan 2021 11:16)
I think the first step is to treat China akin to what they are, and not what our more optimistic pacifists hope they can be.

There was a lot of criticism at the time alleging that China was misrepresenting the situation. It is not like the only information we had was coming from Chinese officials, but the WHO made the decision to promote Chinese disinformation. We can't pretend that all is good.

remember last Jan/Feb all those images and videos being ‘leaked’ of people just dropping dead in the streets of Wuhan?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/31/a-man-lies-dead-in-the-street-the-image-that-captures-the-wuhan-coronavirus-crisis
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7923981/amp/Coronavirus-Disturbing-videos-claim-people-collapsing-Wuhan.html

and of course the mysterious (hah) disappearing act of the initial people who were reporting in China on the virus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/business/wuhan-coronavirus-journalists.amp.html
Gold: 633.87
Jan 18 2021 11:57am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jan 18 2021 11:26am)
i think the idea that Chinese information isnt accurate is fairly widespread in the USA. i dont remember people at the start of the pandemic saying "well china and the WHO say its all fine". in fact i remember widespread panic, even as assurances came in. and i remember people dogging the WHO rightfully when they were against masks and then changed their tune a week or so later.

in short, china is a known scammer and the WHO isnt a real authority figure to almost anyone. they're an advisory board like the UN and taken not seriously at all.

Then why are we in such a hurry to rejoin this widely discredited international body with well-known ties to our geopolitical enemy? I honestly don't understand it. The very best that can be said is that the Democratic party are unwitting dupes of the Chinese Communist Party. The alternative is obviously more sinister.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 18 2021 12:07pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Jan 18 2021 11:57am)
Then why are we in such a hurry to rejoin this widely discredited international body with well-known ties to our geopolitical enemy? I honestly don't understand it. The very best that can be said is that the Democratic party are unwitting dupes of the Chinese Communist Party. The alternative is obviously more sinister.

The WHO is literally the only game in town in terms of acquiring and disseminating information about emerging infectious diseases. If you think we need a better system them make one, but for now there's literally not an alternative, and all leaving the WHO does is further allow China to influence it. You used to actually understand international policy, but since you turned into a Trump cultist it seems you've actively unlearned everything.

Quote (bogie160 @ Jan 18 2021 09:53am)
The WHO is either so incompetent as to uncritically fall for Chinese propaganda, or they were complicit. In either case, the right thing to do is to demand the resignations of key officials and never allow those individuals to hold positions of influence again. You screw up badly, you take accountability, and the WHO screwed up badly.

Man I love how you take this stance with the WHO but literally nobody else in any Republican administration.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jan 18 2021 12:07pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Jan 18 2021 12:08pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Jan 18 2021 11:57am)

idk, i mean why are we involved in dozens or worldwide shame organizations that are just ceremonial? the UN. the WHO. Paris climate accords. etc.

we do it because we're supposed to, because when some organization which is a worldwide arbiter of behavior, even if it's only ceremonial, pops up we are a defacto addition to it.

in reality whether its the UN, climate accords, or WHO we tend to say we base decisions on that bodies recommendation. but this is just an appeal to authority to give policy makers leeway if things go sideways. UN said to give food here, no way we could have known it would be siezed by rebels is the same as WHO said to put in 14 day quarantines and suggest mask wearing.
Jan 18 2021 12:10pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 18 2021 09:21am)
The bolded part is my key point: yes, the WHO didnt knowingly tweet lies, but they were all too willing to suspend any sense of disbelief or caution when handling info from a government which had given them, and the world, every reason to treat their infos with a huge grain of salt. It's really not a stretch to think that growing Chinese influence on the WHO factored into this decision to treat and spread their message so uncritically. Remember that the current WHO president Tedros only got into his current position, against unified opposition of Western countries who wanted someone else, because a China-led alliance of developing and emerging countries rallied behind him.

You are probably right on one point though: informing the rest of the world of the possibility of h2h transmission in mid-January would most likely have been too late to contain the virus inside China/Hubei.

The WHO has to play nice with EVERYBODY. It's the only way they keep access to the countries. So yeah, they played nice with China. That's how they have to operate. It's how they got into Pakistan to vaccinate for polio. It's how they get access to EVERYWHERE and is an integral part of their model.

However, you're also misunderstanding that "no evidence of h2h transmission" is categorically not the same as "we know it doesn't spread h2h".
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 18 2021 12:35pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 18 Jan 2021 19:10)
The WHO has to play nice with EVERYBODY. It's the only way they keep access to the countries. So yeah, they played nice with China. That's how they have to operate. It's how they got into Pakistan to vaccinate for polio. It's how they get access to EVERYWHERE and is an integral part of their model.

However, you're also misunderstanding that "no evidence of h2h transmission" is categorically not the same as "we know it doesn't spread h2h".

No, I'm not misunderstanding anything here. I'm well aware of this distinction. Simply put, a quibble like that was unnecessary unless the WHO specifically wanted to suck up to China. The WHO could have prefaced the tweet with the simple words "So far, it remains unsettled whether human to human transmission is possible. Preliminary studies by the Chinese found no clear evidence." This formulation would have shifted the emphasis of the statement away from the "no... evidence of h2h"-part toward "no clear evidence [either way]" and indicated some degree of independence and scepticism by the WHO.

In the context of the situation at the time, with everyone wondering if h2h transmission was possible, retweeting a CCP propaganda statement without adding any context or warning effectively did amount to taking a position, the Chinese position. You can formulate results the way it was done here and expect them to be interpreted correctly in scientific discourse, when experts write for other experts - but this way of phrasing or presenting findings is completely unsuited when tweeting out to a global community of scientifically untrained laymen and politicians...

Gold: 633.87
Jan 18 2021 01:04pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jan 18 2021 01:08pm)
idk, i mean why are we involved in dozens or worldwide shame organizations that are just ceremonial? the UN. the WHO. Paris climate accords. etc.

we do it because we're supposed to, because when some organization which is a worldwide arbiter of behavior, even if it's only ceremonial, pops up we are a defacto addition to it.

in reality whether its the UN, climate accords, or WHO we tend to say we base decisions on that bodies recommendation. but this is just an appeal to authority to give policy makers leeway if things go sideways. UN said to give food here, no way we could have known it would be siezed by rebels is the same as WHO said to put in 14 day quarantines and suggest mask wearing.

Yes, why indeed.

We belong to the United Nations because of the Security Council. That is it. There is really no benefit that we derive from the United Nations outside of the Security Council that we can't achieve more effectively via multi-lateral and bilateral negotiations with the countries involved. And to the extent that participation in the United Nations undermines those bilateral and multilateral relationships, we are actually doing ourselves a disservice. American foreign policy should be driven by a realistic understanding of world affairs, not idealistic dreams of global governance that the world is clearly not, and may never be, ready for.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 18 2021 01:07pm)
The WHO is literally the only game in town in terms of acquiring and disseminating information about emerging infectious diseases. If you think we need a better system them make one, but for now there's literally not an alternative, and all leaving the WHO does is further allow China to influence it. You used to actually understand international policy, but since you turned into a Trump cultist it seems you've actively unlearned everything.

The United States is not taking steps to mitigate China's influence. The individuals Biden is putting forth have a long history of doing the opposite. Biden himself has not, as far as I'm aware, even admitted that there is a problem.

By remaining in the WHO and taking zero concrete steps to mitigate China's involvement we legitimize China's influence. It will be said, after all, that the WHO is the international body on health and science. That's not an acceptable outcome.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 18 2021 01:07pm)

Man I love how you take this stance with the WHO but literally nobody else in any Republican administration.

The Democratic party is simply far more connected to China. Between Swalwell bedding a Chinese spy, Barbara Boxer working for Chinese surveillance firms, and top defense picks with long-standing ties to CCP controlled universities, the list is adding up.

https://freebeacon.com/national-security/china-ties-raise-questions-for-bidens-top-defense-post-pick/
Jan 18 2021 01:26pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 18 2021 12:35pm)
No, I'm not misunderstanding anything here. I'm well aware of this distinction. Simply put, a quibble like that was unnecessary unless the WHO specifically wanted to suck up to China. The WHO could have prefaced the tweet with the simple words "So far, it remains unsettled whether human to human transmission is possible. Preliminary studies by the Chinese found no clear evidence." This formulation would have shifted the emphasis of the statement away from the "no... evidence of h2h"-part toward "no clear evidence [either way]" and indicated some degree of independence and scepticism by the WHO.

In the context of the situation at the time, with everyone wondering if h2h transmission was possible, retweeting a CCP propaganda statement without adding any context or warning effectively did amount to taking a position, the Chinese position. You can formulate results the way it was done here and expect them to be interpreted correctly in scientific discourse, when experts write for other experts - but this way of phrasing or presenting findings is completely unsuited when tweeting out to a global community of scientifically untrained laymen and politicians...

Really just seems like you're reaching. H2H transmission was still up in the air, and everybody who was following the situation understood that as it was the primary issue to if this was going to be another SARS.
Gold: 8,933.00
Jan 18 2021 04:34pm
In Germany, quarantine violators will be sent to concentration refugee camps:

https://nypost.com/2021/01/18/german-quarantine-breakers-to-be-held-in-refugee-camps/

Cannot make this shit up.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1878879880881882910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll