d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Bernie Crew
Prev1121314151618Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 22 2020 02:35pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 22 Jan 2020 20:32)
Around 19 million Americans are millionaires. Those folks with a net worth between 1 and lets say 10 million dollars are typically professionals (doctors, lawyers, managers etc.) or successful businessmen. They represent the most well-off segment of "ordinary people". Also, often times, a large portion of their net worth is tied up in their house and property.

There is indeed a huge gap between this kind of "ordinary" millionaires on the one side and the billionaires or those with a net worth in the high triple digit millions on the other side. (The latter are typically hedge fund managers, owners and funders of large corporations, top-of-the-crop corporate lawyers, top 1% in their field actors and sports stars, etc.)

Pretty much anyone who's talented, works hard, makes the right decisions and perhaps get a little lucky here and there can become a millionaire in the 1-10m bracket, even while living an honest life and treating others fairly.
But it's virtually impossible to reach the 500m-100b bracket without exploiting your workers (e.g. Jeff Bezos), shitting on consumer rights (e.g. Mark Zuckerberg), engaging in predatory business conduct (e.g. Bill Gates) or making your money with morally questionable actions (most hedge fund managers and corporate lawyers).

Lol.

Pretty much anyone - as long as they're talented, able to work hard, makes the 'right' decisions and gets lucky.

But pretty much anyone.

Holy shit.
Gold: 18,534.02
Jan 22 2020 02:36pm
Quote (MxVivianWulf @ Jan 22 2020 02:30pm)
If Sanders delivers even a quarter of what he wants you'll all be much better off.

I doubt he'll get the nomination though tbh. I'm pretty doomer on politics right now ngl.

It really doesn't matter - he's got a 50 year track record of being woefully inept at producing results.

Besides - He, for some unknown reason, has the interest of HRC. He is dead in the water at this point. Comrade Barnie will complete his cycle of ineptitude once the DNC selects it's candidate not named Bernie.
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 22 2020 02:44pm
Quote (MxVivianWulf @ 22 Jan 2020 21:35)
Lol.

Pretty much anyone - as long as they're talented, able to work hard, makes the 'right' decisions and gets lucky.

But pretty much anyone.

Holy shit.

I said pretty much anyone with the right talent and work ethic has the possibility to reach this level of wealth without having to sell out, exploit his workers, pollute the earth or defend rich murderers in court. Therefore, most people in this 1-10m net worth bracket are still part of what I would call "ordinary people" and not necessarily evil. By contrast, as I said, it is more or less impossible to become a billionaire without exploiting someone or engaging in other forms of shitty behavior.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 22 2020 02:44pm
Jan 22 2020 02:47pm
I N FO W A R S . C O M
Gold: 285.00
Jan 22 2020 02:48pm
Quote (IgoSoHard @ Jan 22 2020 03:02pm)
Lol, boss move though.

- Let’s play Madden on Xbox

- I don’t have an Xbox.

*opens phone, swipes a few times

-You do know. What’s your address ?

One of my truly best friends was born into a very poor family in Indonesia, until a wealthy oil family from Texas came & adopted him & his 2 siblings. When I say wealthy I mean all the kids got like $2.5 million when they turned 18, & like $5 mil When they turned 25 or graduated from college. He thankfully never let it go to his head, & unless you knew the details, would never guess he’s pretty wealthy based upon how he acts & treats people. Genuinely 1 of the nicest people I’ve ever met. However, he does get taken advantage of, normally by girls, wayyyy too often. I’m constantly seeing him wine&dine these dime pieces that always end up friend-zoning him because he’s Asian & 5’2” but he’s balling so they keep coming around. I’m always like so who was that you took on what looked like a $300 dinner ? He’s like oh, she’s just a friend I help out with bills sometimes, I’m like bruhhhh

Quote (Bazi @ Jan 22 2020 03:15pm)
Send ur friend my number. I will treat king azn how he deserves

Lol all Hail King Azn
Gold: 633.87
Jan 22 2020 03:33pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 22 2020 03:44pm)
I said pretty much anyone with the right talent and work ethic has the possibility to reach this level of wealth without having to sell out, exploit his workers, pollute the earth or defend rich murderers in court. Therefore, most people in this 1-10m net worth bracket are still part of what I would call "ordinary people" and not necessarily evil. By contrast, as I said, it is more or less impossible to become a billionaire without exploiting someone or engaging in other forms of shitty behavior.

People with low 7 figure net worths are "normal" in the sense that they don't live extravagant lives. Their lifestyles are not that different from the middle and upper-middle class. Most of them are probably still residents of the upper-middle class.

Where I disagree though is with people like Bezos. He has literally done nothing wrong.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 22 2020 04:05pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 22 2020 02:32pm)
Around 19 million Americans are millionaires. Those folks with a net worth between 1 and lets say 10 million dollars are typically professionals (doctors, lawyers, managers etc.) or successful businessmen. They represent the most well-off segment of "ordinary people". Also, often times, a large portion of their net worth is tied up in their house and property.

There is indeed a huge gap between this kind of "ordinary" millionaires on the one side and the billionaires or those with a net worth in the high triple digit millions on the other side. (The latter are typically hedge fund managers, owners and funders of large corporations, top-of-the-crop corporate lawyers, top 1% in their field actors and sports stars, etc.)

Pretty much anyone who's talented, works hard, makes the right decisions and perhaps get a little lucky here and there can become a millionaire in the 1-10m bracket, even while living an honest life and treating others fairly.
But it's virtually impossible to reach the 500m-100b bracket without exploiting your workers (e.g. Jeff Bezos), shitting on consumer rights (e.g. Mark Zuckerberg), engaging in predatory business conduct (e.g. Bill Gates) or making your money in morally questionable fashion (most hedge fund managers and corporate lawyers).

Lol this is pretty delusional. No, not everyone can have a million dollars in assets at the current value. Not everybody can go to law school, medical school, or be a successful business owner because there arent enough customers, jobs, or school spots to do so.
and not everybody can invest steadily and make consistent gains. When people buy those "consistent investments" the price goes up relative to what it will gain based on value and you end up with an artificial bubble that crashes and loses most people money.

That there are "losers" is built into the foumdation of the system. We dont have to have a discussion of mental illness, systematic oppression, or any controversial topic. That not everybody can be successful is a feature, not a bug
Jan 22 2020 04:32pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 22 Jan 2020 20:44)

Extracting profit from your workers is exploitation.

You CAN reach it through relatively ethical means, especially in a service industry. But it's pretty difficult to do so.
Jan 22 2020 04:34pm
Quote (bogie160 @ 22 Jan 2020 21:33)
People with low 7 figure net worths are "normal" in the sense that they don't live extravagant lives. Their lifestyles are not that different from the middle and upper-middle class. Most of them are probably still residents of the upper-middle class.

Where I disagree though is with people like Bezos. He has literally done nothing wrong.

Working conditions at Amazon have been some of the most widely criticised in the West. The gig economy alone is worthy of criticism as it's essentially a way for employers to, well, employ people without having to give them the benefits employment is supposed to bring.

Yea Bezos is a dick.

This post was edited by MxVivianWulf on Jan 22 2020 04:34pm
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 22 2020 04:40pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 22 Jan 2020 23:05)
Lol this is pretty delusional. No, not everyone can have a million dollars in assets at the current value. Not everybody can go to law school, medical school, or be a successful business owner because there arent enough customers, jobs, or school spots to do so.
and not everybody can invest steadily and make consistent gains. When people buy those "consistent investments" the price goes up relative to what it will gain based on value and you end up with an artificial bubble that crashes and loses most people money.

That there are "losers" is built into the foumdation of the system. We dont have to have a discussion of mental illness, systematic oppression, or any controversial topic. That not everybody can be successful is a feature, not a bug

I never said that everyone could become a millionaire at once. But that's not necessary for my argument to hold. Note that I included "... with the right talent and work ethic" as a qualifier.

Quote (MxVivianWulf @ 22 Jan 2020 23:32)
Extracting profit from your workers is exploitation.

You CAN reach it through relatively ethical means, especially in a service industry. But it's pretty difficult to do so.

So, do I understand you correctly here: you think that any business running at a profit is exploiting its workers? That's a very antiquated, marxist take if you ask me.

I agree with you on Amazon though!
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1121314151618Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll