d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > The Witcher
Prev123412Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 63,142.89
Dec 21 2019 06:53am
ok thanks, i got it now

the only thing that makes me mad about this story is that Cintra and Nilfgaard should have had their names reversed

cuz then it would be easy to make jokes about Nilfgaard aka Milfgaard cuz that Lioness chick = yummy wife material
Gold: 2,647.74
Dec 21 2019 12:59pm
I thought the ending was fine, if you're aware of the novels there's still a ton of shit to cover. A good 3 more seasons worth without touching the games or any other extra material.

Adaptation-wise not many things bother me... there was lots of rah-rah about black elves but they fit into the picture inconspicuously. Though Fringilla being black does bother me because she's supposed to be related to Queen Henrietta, which makes me wonder whether the casting was a based red pill commentary on France becoming majority non-white eventually.

And why is Triss a brunette? wth just have the actress dye her hair lolz, she even has the freckles. They nailed the looks for Geralt/Yen/Ciri so why not do it with Triss too...

If bringing up race and hair is the best I can do then there isn't really a lot to complain about the product... much better done than I expected. I'll up my rating to a B+ but keep it from an A because it does sound like a bore if you aren't already immersed in the Witcher universe. I don't think this is like early season Game of Thrones good, the acting is nothing special and the plot will gradually be more convoluted than intriguing.

This post was edited by Hizkuntza on Dec 21 2019 01:00pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Dec 21 2019 02:16pm
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Dec 20 2019 09:30pm)
The pacing needed work and the time jumps were jarring at first but they eventually made sense, it's definitely something you need to binge to get the whole picture.
While the games have some of the lore, you'll still be quite confused if you haven't read at least The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny which is what the first season was based on.
Henry fucking nailed it.

And for those that were confused about the bard's name Jaskier, that is his polish name, which when translated would mean buttercup in english. Which is a bit much. So they went with dandelion.

The time jumps definitely felt poorly handled, but everything slips into place eventually.
Gold: 22,720.48
Dec 21 2019 09:18pm
Gold: 0.00
Dec 22 2019 02:18am
I didnt read the novel or play the game. Understood everything pretty easily.

I watched "the boys" backwards from episode 8 to 1 because the illegal stream listed the episodes in the opposite chronological order.

So this type of time jump didnt confuse me compared to that.

Overall better than g.o.t seasons 4 to 8

This post was edited by ButOniiChanILoveYou on Dec 22 2019 02:19am
Dec 22 2019 06:42am
I don't agree with criticisms about the time jumps.

It's true that I didn't understand the setting of every scene as it was unfolding. My brain was having to scan the dialogue for clues. That increased my enjoyment of the viewing experience. It helped the story appear to have more depth than it may have if it had been presented with explicit title cards for each scene. By the end, all the big stuff made sense. Even at the end, there were some details that I didn't understand, but all it means is that I have a reason to feel hooked into watching S2.

For example, in Ep1 when dream-Renfri told Geralt about 'the girl in the woods' I had no idea what that meant. In the finale, I was told what it meant, but am still left wondering how Geralt's dream-visions work. If future seasons fail to explain that, then the show will be due some criticism. But so far, the mysterious time jumps enhanced the audience experience rather than detracting from it.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Dec 22 2019 07:01am
Dec 22 2019 07:02pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Dec 22 2019 05:42am)
I don't agree with criticisms about the time jumps.

It's true that I didn't understand the setting of every scene as it was unfolding. My brain was having to scan the dialogue for clues. That increased my enjoyment of the viewing experience. It helped the story appear to have more depth than it may have if it had been presented with explicit title cards for each scene. By the end, all the big stuff made sense. Even at the end, there were some details that I didn't understand, but all it means is that I have a reason to feel hooked into watching S2.

For example, in Ep1 when dream-Renfri told Geralt about 'the girl in the woods' I had no idea what that meant. In the finale, I was told what it meant, but am still left wondering how Geralt's dream-visions work. If future seasons fail to explain that, then the show will be due some criticism. But so far, the mysterious time jumps enhanced the audience experience rather than detracting from it.

I mean you open up saying you don't agree with the criticisms, but then write entire paragraphs explaining that you actually do agree...
Dec 22 2019 07:44pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Dec 22 2019 08:02pm)
I mean you open up saying you don't agree with the criticisms, but then write entire paragraphs explaining that you actually do agree...

lack of understanding of the plot points =/= a negative viewing experience

mystery is good. leaving things unexplained in order to keep me watching S2 is good.
Dec 22 2019 07:45pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Dec 22 2019 06:44pm)
lack of understanding of the plot points =/= a negative viewing experience

mystery is good. leaving things unexplained in order to keep me watching S2 is good.

The criticism was that the time jumps were confusing at first, not that it was good or bad.
Dec 22 2019 07:49pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Dec 22 2019 08:45pm)
The criticism was that the time jumps were confusing at first, not that it was good or bad.

kinda splitting hairs on semantics here but ok I'll try to use match the language more closely:

Quote (Blah58 @ Dec 21 2019 03:16pm)
The time jumps definitely felt poorly handled, but everything slips into place eventually.

The time jumps felt well handled to me. The element of mystery improved the viewing experience.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123412Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll