d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Cops Unload On Ups Driver Who Was Taken Hostage
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 7 2019 08:30am
Difficult situation for the police. You have a guy returning fire at you, and your job is to to end the threat.

A lot of potential collateral damage present.

Feel bad for the UPS guy and his family.
All around feel bad for everybody involved with that.

This post was edited by GLYC123 on Dec 7 2019 08:39am
Gold: 285.00
Dec 7 2019 08:40am
Quote (GLYC123 @ Dec 7 2019 09:30am)
"200 rounds" really isn't much, you have a criminal behind cover shooting at police. Their job is to end the threat at that point. Plus, individuals have even taken sometimes over 20 shots to fully go down without even having any kind of ballistic vest. The exception is if you're hit in the head, or heart. This idea of using the amount of rounds fired as an excessive use of force is a flawed argument. Additionally, under stressful situations, your accuracy suffers dramatically, despite what other training you may have received. It's difficult to replicate a real stress level in training that is equivalent to knowing that you may be killed any given moment.

It's also standard knowledge that police carry rifles and shotguns in their vehicles as well for these situations. You don't respond to an active shooter scenario with a handgun if you have other means available, the idea is to have a one-up on the threat. Though applause for knowing the G17/G19 is usually the standardized sidearm.

Were the police even aware of the hostage present? Do we know if the hostage was killed by the robber?

The amount of people that jump at any given chance to try to demean the police is sad. No wonder fewer and fewer people want to be a police officer. Little information made available and the lynch mob already grabs their pitchforks.

Police officers can earn wages in the teens, which is a major reason that nobody wishes to be one and the ones they get are often unprofessional. We are talking 30k salaries for a difficult job.

It is such a high stress job police officers should have a lot more support.

Not that job difficulty reflects value....But I for one value not having bricks thrown through windows.

This post was edited by Skinned on Dec 7 2019 08:40am
Gold: 2,617.52
Dec 7 2019 08:42am
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Dec 6 2019 10:25pm)
saying it was handled incredibly badly i don't have issues with. i'm still waiting for some info to judge, but that's me.

the topic title, is still a very long stretch.

Topic title makes it pretty obvious that OP wants to marginalize cops.
Dec 7 2019 08:47am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 7 2019 08:40am)
Police officers can earn wages in the teens, which is a major reason that nobody wishes to be one and the ones they get are often unprofessional. We are talking 30k salaries for a difficult job.

It is such a high stress job police officers should have a lot more support.

Not that job difficulty reflects value.

A lot of police don't do it for the current pay, they do do it because they want to help their community and want to make a difference. Policing is supposed to be about community policing, and that's what departments want. Building good rapport with the community is essential. The public is what helps identify crimes and criminals. Without public support, the police will suffer.

When you have people that don't believe in the police, more incidents occur as well. Which is why I have a huge problem with BLM. You're getting black people killed by portraying that all police do is want to kill black people. It creates a fear mongering culture. So now, those individuals are going to act differently when they are confronted by police, which in turn, causes assaults on police, resisting arrest, etc. Anyways, off topic.

But yes. Extremely high stress job, in some cases poor public support. Major political figures that demean the police. We have police officers that were getting buckets of water thrown over their head in New York. I find that sad and demeaning.

You are right about the wage amount though, they deserve far more.
There definitely are intelligent well-qualified people who will say, why would I do this job when I can make more doing something else? Not have the stress, the risk, difficult schedule, etc.

That does make it hard for departments to get more well-qualified individuals.

This post was edited by GLYC123 on Dec 7 2019 08:56am
Gold: 83.30
Dec 7 2019 08:56am
Quote (GLYC123 @ Dec 7 2019 03:47pm)
A lot of police don't do it for the current pay, they do do it because they want to help their community and want to make a difference.
Policing is supposed to be about community policing, and that's what departments want. Building good rapport with the community is essential. The public is what helps identify crimes and criminals. Without public support, the police will suffer.

When you have people that don't believe in the police, more incidents occur as well. Which is why I have a huge problem with BLM. You're getting black people killed by portraying that all police do is want to kill black people. It creates a fear mongering culture. So now, those individuals are going to act differently when they are confronted by police. Anyways, off topic.

But yes. Extremely high stress job, in some cases poor public support. Major political figures that demean the police. We have police officers that were getting buckets of water thrown over their head in New York. I find that sad and demeaning.

Some intelligent well-qualified people will definitely say, why would I do this job when I can make more doing something else? Not have the stress, the risk, difficult schedule, etc.

Not all of em do it for the community though. Plenty of wannabe warriors who are looking to be the biggest baddest cop in town, along with the actual genuine caring cops.

Interview with the father of the UPS driver:

Dec 7 2019 09:17am
Quote (balrog66 @ Dec 7 2019 08:56am)
Not all of em do it for the community though. Plenty of wannabe warriors who are looking to be the biggest baddest cop in town, along with the actual genuine caring cops.

Interview with the father of the UPS driver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6gJw9BwUP8

That is true, there are some bad officers out there. I like to think the far overwhelming amount are good, but when you have an officer that isn't in the right mindset for the job, bad things happen.

As an example the shooting in, I believe Nevada with the hotel and the drunk man that came crawling down the hall, I know one of the officers had a dust cover that said "you're fucked" or something along those lines written on it, extremely unprofessional and that makes me question him immediately. The whole case was bad and handled poorly.

But. Departments do a pretty extensive interview process, mental health evaluations and more however. At least in Minnesota. I can't say that will always guarantee that a mistake is never made.

Anyways. I watched the interview, and I did watch the actual shooting incident video basically right away after my first post prior to editing (should have watched it first oops).

But yes, based on what I've seen on that video. I will say, that at the specific time, the UPS driver came crawling out of the vehicle, there needed to be better placed shots. So much risk of collateral damage. I'm not sure what happened there, if people just started spraying when they saw both present, or what.

Regardless, the fact that a wall placed shot wasn't placed on the robber and that the UPS man, based on the video and what I'm seeing and speculating on that, I believe was shot by the police is tragic. In that moment where they both were exiting, that part was handled poorly.

Can't really comment on the rest of it, since I haven't seen it.

This post was edited by GLYC123 on Dec 7 2019 09:19am
Dec 7 2019 09:18am
Quote (GLYC123 @ Dec 7 2019 09:47am)
A lot of police don't do it for the current pay, they do do it because they want to help their community and want to make a difference. Policing is supposed to be about community policing, and that's what departments want. Building good rapport with the community is essential. The public is what helps identify crimes and criminals. Without public support, the police will suffer.

When you have people that don't believe in the police, more incidents occur as well. Which is why I have a huge problem with BLM. You're getting black people killed by portraying that all police do is want to kill black people. It creates a fear mongering culture. So now, those individuals are going to act differently when they are confronted by police, which in turn, causes assaults on police, resisting arrest, etc. Anyways, off topic.

There definitely are intelligent well-qualified people who will say, why would I do this job when I can make more doing something else? Not have the stress, the risk, difficult schedule, etc.

That does make it hard for departments to get more well-qualified individuals.

I think they should be better compensated and since they use their bodies for violent work on behalf of us al I feel like they should have more accessible healthcare than normal. I feel the same for trash collectors and the physical abuse they put themselves though on our behalf. Both are taking out the trash and are worse for the wear from doing it.

This post was edited by Skinned on Dec 7 2019 09:22am
Dec 7 2019 09:20am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 7 2019 09:18am)
You seem to be only blaming one side, presenting one perspective. There is a darkness in policing.

No, not really? See my latest post.
Dec 7 2019 09:22am
Quote (GLYC123 @ Dec 7 2019 10:20am)
No, not really? See my latest post.

I edited out my criticism.
Dec 7 2019 09:25am
I find UPS's public response to be a bit strange, given the circumstances (emphasis mine):

Quote (UPS Social Media)
We are deeply saddened to learn a UPS service provider was a victim of this senseless act of violence. We extend our condolences to the family and friends of our employee and the other innocent victims involved in the incident. We appreciate law enforcement's service and will cooperate with the authorities as they continue the investigation.

https://www.facebook.com/ups/photos/a.217043341643310/3056494374364845/?type=3&theater

Seems rather odd to me to "appreciate" the "service" which was the cause of the driver's demise.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll