d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > The Rise Of Skywalker
Prev1282930313233Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,505.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 30 2019 05:23am
Quote (A1RES @ Dec 30 2019 04:23am)
But his acting was way better than the previous. It indeed has depth and his acting portray in his emotions and vice versa

I was REALLY hoping the ending would've been different. I was hoping, no dreaming, of somehow Vader returning in some form or another and empowering Kylo or outright challenging him. I mean shit, Palpatine was thrown down a damn tunnel and literally explodes and somehow is alive. Vader could've maybe discovered a way to transcend the force. These writers really dropped the ball on these movies and especially the way they chose to end it. Brutalizing Luke, never giving Rey a meaningful challenge, never testing boundaries. I feel like the writers were trapped in a box that they manifested out of thin air.
Gold: 3,051.00
Dec 30 2019 10:22am
Quote (ZeroOath @ Dec 30 2019 06:23am)
I was REALLY hoping the ending would've been different. I was hoping, no dreaming, of somehow Vader returning in some form or another and empowering Kylo or outright challenging him. I mean shit, Palpatine was thrown down a damn tunnel and literally explodes and somehow is alive. Vader could've maybe discovered a way to transcend the force. These writers really dropped the ball on these movies and especially the way they chose to end it. Brutalizing Luke, never giving Rey a meaningful challenge, never testing boundaries. I feel like the writers were trapped in a box that they manifested out of thin air.

Can you honestly blame them for a shitty movie when the prior movie fucked so much more up? I felt like it woulda been better if it didnt have a shitbomb like last jedi hanging iver its head to make up for. That horrible slapstick fuckin turd movie. Im still shocked critics managed to cuck as many people into liking it as they did
Gold: 39,837.69
Dec 30 2019 06:05pm
Finally saw it.

Eh better than 8, but I still think 7 is better. Just sad they shit the bed on the trilogy as a whole
Gold: 10,025.00
Dec 30 2019 11:28pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Dec 29 2019 11:28pm)
As soon it happened, I just thought "Whelp, that's going to piss off all the dumb people."

Is what it is. The last movie was a downright terrible movie regardless, but people started raging over sjw propaganda, with one of their main *examples* of this inexcusable agenda being that a female character had short hair. Since then, I've given up on attempting to understand the asinine reasons people decide to be outraged.

I was just genuinely surprised it wasn't an awful movie.

I mean JJ turned one of the main (female) characters in TLJ into nothing but a faceless background character in RoS. Then invented a completely random new person just to take her place... I can only imagine this decision was made purely to appease all the haters. He is such a fucking pussy. Every decision he made about 9 was very obvious half baked idea to try and make the fanfic that everyone said they wanted. Should have been pretty obvious to a real movie maker that, that would never turn out well. You may or may not like Rian, but at least he has a fucking backbone.

All that said, 7-9 are still significantly better than 1-3 in almost every way imaginable. Almost.

I still can't comprehend how people actually like 1-3 tbh. I'm pretty convinced that it's a lie and everyone is just acting like they are in on the joke.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Dec 30 2019 11:29pm
Gold: 0.00
Dec 31 2019 12:09am
Dec 31 2019 01:18am
Quote (Booyaka @ Dec 30 2019 11:09pm)

I guessed going in that this guy is an idiot, and nothing I've watched has disproven that. He is a pretty fucking annoying dude.

1) not a plot hole. I disliked this element of the movie, but canon has established that you can cheat death in star wars, multiple different ways.

2) Again, not a plot hole. The entire point of Lukes arc in the previous movie was him regaining his hope. That is why Rey gets trained. That movie literally slaps you in the face with Lukes arc, how could you miss it?

3) Is Palpatines son not force sensitive? I don't remember if the movie actually said that. I remember the movie saying they "chose to be no one". That could mean he was force sensitive and decided to let go of it. Or he could have cut himself off from the force and lost his force sensitivity(previously established in canon), or it could have "skipped a generation". There is literally nothing in the lore that says force sensitivity guarantees passed down. So again, not a plot hole.

4) I have said before this part of the movie was dumb, but literally all you have to say is "new technology" and now it works. Bad writing for a"cool" scene, but not a plot hole.

This guy literally has no idea what fucking plot holes are, he is extremely annoying, so I'm not going to bother with more of the video.

Edit: bunch of auto correct nonsense.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Dec 31 2019 01:20am
Gold: 63,142.89
Dec 31 2019 01:29am
Quote (fuzzy159 @ Dec 30 2019 05:21am)
It is impossible to please all the fans of a franchise that has unreasonable expectations. Fans create theories in there heads that they wish to happen and when the movies go another direction they immediately think it is trash.

You act like it's impossible for Hollywood to ever put out content that is well received. I'm not saying that every movie should be held to the standards of the Dark Knight trilogy, but SW is one of the few that will be put up there.

When they wait 15 years between trilogies and have a budget near $300 million per movie, then they are inviting maximum scrutiny.

I am not demanding that the new SW trilogy be on par with the LotR trilogy ... but I think it should have at least been as good as the Hobbit trilogy. The Hobbit was lackluster, but fine. It wasn't really bad. The Force Awakens was kind of in that ballpark. If we had gotten 2 more movies like TFA, then I wouldn't be complaining. But the fact that they have literally every advantage in their favor and can't even manage to make TLJ/RotS be at least Hobbit-quality is a cause for criticism.

If theaters expect to be able to sell tickets for a movie just because it has the SW brand on it, then that brand better mean something. But now, SW has been knocked down a few notches to a mediocre brand. It's disappointing that I will now have to regard future SW movies in a similar vein as I looked at the 2016 Warcraft movie. Essentially "I hope it's an average movie".

This post was edited by Kayeto on Dec 31 2019 01:36am
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 31 2019 01:47am
Quote (Blah58 @ Dec 30 2019 09:28pm)
I mean JJ turned one of the main (female) characters in TLJ into nothing but a faceless background character in RoS. Then invented a completely random new person just to take her place... I can only imagine this decision was made purely to appease all the haters. He is such a fucking pussy. Every decision he made about 9 was very obvious half baked idea to try and make the fanfic that everyone said they wanted. Should have been pretty obvious to a real movie maker that, that would never turn out well. You may or may not like Rian, but at least he has a fucking backbone.

All that said, 7-9 are still significantly better than 1-3 in almost every way imaginable. Almost.

I still can't comprehend how people actually like 1-3 tbh. I'm pretty convinced that it's a lie and everyone is just acting like they are in on the joke.

I'll agree that he probably has more of a backbone, but TLJ was still a steaming pile of garbage. There's soooooo much wrong with it, that it's not even enjoyable as a laugh at it type of flick.

Bad but popular things are often elevated in people's minds with the passage of time. I agree that the latest three are superior to the prequels, but shit man, even the original trilogy isn't THAT good of a series. Outside of being something original (if you ignore it was all stolen), even the first series had shit acting, directing, and a laughable plot, but it's still put on this pedestal as the greatest thing ever. Don't get me wrong, I love the original series, but like each and every single Star Wars movie ever created, they have massive flaws throughout. I do personally believe TLJ was the worst of the entire nine-film saga, but that's just a matter of opinion. Most would probably go Episode 1, but nostalgia plays heavily on me there, since I saw that movie twice in the theaters when I was 9.

Quote (Kayeto @ Dec 30 2019 11:29pm)
You act like it's impossible for Hollywood to ever put out content that is well received. I'm not saying that every movie should be held to the standards of the Dark Knight trilogy, but SW is one of the few that will be put up there.

When they wait 15 years between trilogies and have a budget near $300 million per movie, then they are inviting maximum scrutiny.

I am not demanding that the new SW trilogy be on par with the LotR trilogy ... but I think it should have at least been as good as the Hobbit trilogy. The Hobbit was lackluster, but fine. It wasn't really bad. The Force Awakens was kind of in that ballpark. If we had gotten 2 more movies like TFA, then I wouldn't be complaining. But the fact that they have literally every advantage in their favor and can't even manage to make TLJ/RotS be at least Hobbit-quality is a cause for criticism.

If theaters expect to be able to sell tickets for a movie just because it has the SW brand on it, then that brand better mean something. But now, SW has been knocked down a few notches to a mediocre brand. It's disappointing that I will now have to regard future SW movies in a similar vein as I looked at the 2016 Warcraft movie. Essentially "I hope it's an average movie".

Outside the first 30 minutes of An Unexpected Journey*, the Hobbit Trilogy was a fucking disgrace and every film was exponentially worse than even TLJ. It was a fucking 8 hour long advertisement for movies Jackson had already done and anyone who says differently, didn't watch the movies.

Derp, I know we had three movies about the One Ring, but hear me out, what if we took a story not about the ring, and made it ALLLLLL about the ring? I know guys, I know, it's crazy, but check this out, we're going to throw in a love affair with races that are well documented as loathing one another and we're also going to turn a literal God into a bumbling fool that's scared of everything. You guys with me? Okay, not following, but you'll at least show Bilbo grow as a character, thus continuing the message that even the smallest person can be the biggest hero? Na, fuck that, I'm just going to make him obsessed with a ring the whole time and all of his actions will be based around him feartecting it. It's going to be great!

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Dec 31 2019 02:05am
Dec 31 2019 03:01am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Dec 31 2019 12:47am)
I'll agree that he probably has more of a backbone, but TLJ was still a steaming pile of garbage. There's soooooo much wrong with it, that it's not even enjoyable as a laugh at it type of flick.

Bad but popular things are often elevated in people's minds with the passage of time. I agree that the latest three are superior to the prequels, but shit man, even the original trilogy isn't THAT good of a series. Outside of being something original (if you ignore it was all stolen), even the first series had shit acting, directing, and a laughable plot, but it's still put on this pedestal as the greatest thing ever. Don't get me wrong, I love the original series, but like each and every single Star Wars movie ever created, they have massive flaws throughout. I do personally believe TLJ was the worst of the entire nine-film saga, but that's just a matter of opinion. Most would probably go Episode 1, but nostalgia plays heavily on me there, since I saw that movie twice in the theaters when I was 9.

Outside the first 30 minutes of An Unexpected Journey*, the Hobbit Trilogy was a fucking disgrace and every film was exponentially worse than even TLJ. It was a fucking 8 hour long advertisement for movies Jackson had already done and anyone who says differently, didn't watch the movies.

Derp, I know we had three movies about the One Ring, but hear me out, what if we took a story not about the ring, and made it ALLLLLL about the ring? I know guys, I know, it's crazy, but check this out, we're going to throw in a love affair with races that are well documented as loathing one another and we're also going to turn a literal God into a bumbling fool that's scared of everything. You guys with me? Okay, not following, but you'll at least show Bilbo grow as a character, thus continuing the message that even the smallest person can be the biggest hero? Na, fuck that, I'm just going to make him obsessed with a ring the whole time and all of his actions will be based around him feartecting it. It's going to be great!

Episode 2 is easily the worst, episode 1 was bad, but 99.9% of child actors suck anyways, and it has podracing which is the coolest shit ever. Episode 3 has some dope fighting scenes that aren't extremely cringy (like the yoda one in ep2), but they are pretty over the top.

I really liked the fight scenes in RoS, they did a really good job of combining the crazy stuff out the prequels with the more grounded fighting of the original trilogy.

TLJ snoke room fight scene, against snokes guards, is so bad, I have no idea how it was allowed to be the final shots for a giant blockbuster. Easily the worst part of the movie for me, legitimately the only reason I haven't rewatched it since the theater. Every time I want to rewatch it I remember that scene and I'm instantly out. You fucking see them editing out weapons and you see the stuntmen stall because the actors are too slow to hit their marks. It's so bad

But I'll eventually rewatch it, probably.

Really the only two movies I'd straight up refuse to re-watch are epi2 and solo.

Edit: the best thing about star wars is the music. Epi1-9 all have amazing scores. I'm pretty sure that's a big reason for the nostalgia, the music lasts.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Dec 31 2019 03:09am
Gold: 23.00
Dec 31 2019 05:32am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Dec 31 2019 08:47am)

I remember seeing The Phantom Menace like 7 times in theaters when I was a kid lol.

The Star Wars sequel trilogy is easily better than The Hobbit trilogy in my opinion. Jackson fucked up by going hard into cgi instead of using practical effects like in the LotR trilogy. I loved the book and was very disappointed with the movies. Especially since Jackson's LotR trilogy is the greatest trilogy of all time and I had such high hopes for the Hobbit.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1282930313233Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll