d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > What Is The Scientific Validity Of Iq Test > Are They True?
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Jun 2 2019 02:03pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 2 2019 09:44pm)
IQ predicts success if you are also industrious.

IQ is heavily biased against poorer areas (food insecurity, financial insecurity, stress, etc. drastically lower IQ) and areas without education (Try to sit down for an hour to take a test if you've never taken a test before).

Additionally you can influence IQ early in life with education, and even though the early advantage tends to go away in IQ scores by the time they are adults the bump in IQ early on is a huge advantage while you are attaining education and career prospects.

Overall, IQ is probably something that exists but we're far from perfect at measuring it or accounting for confounding variables. That's pretty much true of all of Psychology though.

well you dont really *influence* the iq with education, you kinda just mask the lack of it with experience :wacko: thats why twins from different families tend to even out as they age (providing they didnt have situations that would impair brain development such as extremely poor diet, infections, lead paint and shit like that)

basically influencing the iq through education is like that one girl who starts wearing makeup before all others in elementary school and is considered the prettiest, but once the other girls realize they can use makeup as well, you notice that the first girl wasnt that pretty to begin with :mellow:

also what bothers me is that iq appears to be self limiting much more than other "favorable" traits in evolution :wacko: for example if you are a bull and you are strong af, you will have an advantage over other bulls. your children will have the genetic advantage to begin with, and the strongest of them will be even more of a badass etc. but intelligence in people, if it gets too high, increases the chance of generalized anxiety, ocd, depression, you name it :wacko: no proof about this except from personal experience with psychiatric patients but there was enough of them to be significant i think :unsure: so i dont really value iq that much :(
Gold: 0.20
Jun 2 2019 06:27pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jun 3 2019 06:03am)
but intelligence in people, if it gets too high, increases the chance of generalized anxiety, ocd, depression, you name it :wacko: no proof about this except from personal experience with psychiatric patients but there was enough of them to be significant i think :unsure: so i dont really value iq that much :(

sure it does buddy, the reason you're a mentally ill mess is because you're just too damn smart
Jun 2 2019 06:45pm
Quote (Dominate2 @ Jun 3 2019 02:27am)
https://media.tenor.com/images/ba63bf7eb25955ab03c872b80b577b5b/tenor.gif

sure it does buddy, the reason you're a mentally ill mess is because you're just too damn smart

if you think i would base my conclusion upon just one person, the only one mentally ill is you :blush:
Jun 2 2019 07:02pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jun 3 2019 10:45am)
if you think i would base my conclusion upon just one person, the only one mentally ill is you :blush:

i think you're far from the first person to realise how fucked up they are and then try to rationalise it in this way with no real evidence

because there's nothing really wrong with you if your problem is just that you're too smart right?

lazy neuroses-laden deadbeat? "nope hehe just top percentile IQ" :angel:
Jun 2 2019 07:07pm
Quote (Dominate2 @ Jun 3 2019 03:02am)
i think you're far from the first person to realise how fucked up they are and then try to rationalise it in this way with no real evidence

because there's nothing really wrong with you if your problem is just that you're too smart right?

lazy neuroses-laden deadbeat? "nope hehe just top percentile IQ" :angel:

who is even talking about me? im not even that far from normal even :unsure:

but for a whole year on medicine we had psychiatry and when you notice that the majority of patients (than usual) with depression and anxiety have high iq, and a vast majority with ocd has high iq, you start to conclude things :wacko:

edit: ugh my grammar :cry:

This post was edited by Snyft2 on Jun 2 2019 07:11pm
Jun 2 2019 07:31pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jun 3 2019 11:07am)
who is even talking about me? im not even that far from normal even :unsure:

but for a whole year on medicine we had psychiatry and when you notice that the majority of patients (than usual) with depression and anxiety have high iq, and a vast majority with ocd has high iq, you start to conclude things :wacko:

edit: ugh my grammar :cry:

do you think that the sample you were exposed to was maybe just a little bit small and a little bit biased?
Jun 2 2019 07:39pm
Quote (Dominate2 @ Jun 3 2019 03:31am)
do you think that the sample you were exposed to was maybe just a little bit small and a little bit biased?

small no, biased...maybe :cry: ?
Gold: 260.11
Jun 2 2019 09:57pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jun 2 2019 02:03pm)
well you dont really *influence* the iq with education, you kinda just mask the lack of it with experience :wacko: thats why twins from different families tend to even out as they age (providing they didnt have situations that would impair brain development such as extremely poor diet, infections, lead paint and shit like that)

basically influencing the iq through education is like that one girl who starts wearing makeup before all others in elementary school and is considered the prettiest, but once the other girls realize they can use makeup as well, you notice that the first girl wasnt that pretty to begin with :mellow:

also what bothers me is that iq appears to be self limiting much more than other "favorable" traits in evolution :wacko: for example if you are a bull and you are strong af, you will have an advantage over other bulls. your children will have the genetic advantage to begin with, and the strongest of them will be even more of a badass etc. but intelligence in people, if it gets too high, increases the chance of generalized anxiety, ocd, depression, you name it :wacko: no proof about this except from personal experience with psychiatric patients but there was enough of them to be significant i think :unsure: so i dont really value iq that much :(

It's hard to say if you truly change the IQ during early development. It tends to even out as they get older, but how do you say if the early IQ wasn't actually affected just to return to the baseline with age?

High intelligence requires having an "abnormal" brain to some extent, so it's not surprising that most changes that increase IQ would also increase the tendencies towards illness. A random change to an ordered system is far more likely to produce a less ordered system after all.

Still, I'm not aware of research correlating IQ with mental illness.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 2 2019 09:57pm
Jun 2 2019 11:32pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 3 2019 01:57pm)
It's hard to say if you truly change the IQ during early development. It tends to even out as they get older, but how do you say if the early IQ wasn't actually affected just to return to the baseline with age?

High intelligence requires having an "abnormal" brain to some extent, so it's not surprising that most changes that increase IQ would also increase the tendencies towards illness. A random change to an ordered system is far more likely to produce a less ordered system after all.

Still, I'm not aware of research correlating IQ with mental illness.

because when it is researched there's almost always no association or a negative association

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4170757/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5014225/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20933370
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16260814
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2705657/

though one exception i found was this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705611/
Gold: 260.11
Jun 2 2019 11:37pm
Quote (Dominate2 @ Jun 2 2019 11:32pm)

Interesting

Skimming through these there's a million and a half things I wouldn't have thought to control for, admittedly because I hadn't given the subject a lot of thought. In particular one paper had considered the relationship that mental illness can cause lower IQ, which seems pretty obvious lol. I'll have to look for good review papers on the subject when I have time.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 2 2019 11:37pm
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll