d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > What Is The Scientific Validity Of Iq Test > Are They True?
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.20
Jun 3 2019 12:09am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 3 2019 03:37pm)
Interesting

Skimming through these there's a million and a half things I wouldn't have thought to control for, admittedly because I hadn't given the subject a lot of thought. In particular one paper had considered the relationship that mental illness can cause lower IQ, which seems pretty obvious lol. I'll have to look for good review papers on the subject when I have time.

yeah, that's part of why the idea always seemed dumb to me, even in garden variety depression things like brain atrophy (as seen on mris) and reports of "brain fog" are common, doesn't make much sense for it to be associated with higher intelligence when it itself hinders intelligence

higher intelligence during bursts of mania in bipolar patients does make sense tho, i imagine its something like going on an extended dexy binge, but better, and with a really shitty come down

This post was edited by Dominate2 on Jun 3 2019 12:13am
Gold: 260.11
Jun 3 2019 12:13am
Quote (Dominate2 @ Jun 3 2019 12:09am)
yeah, that's part of why the idea always seemed dumb to me, even in garden variety depression things like brain atrophy (as seen on mris) and reports of "brain fog" are common, doesn't make much sense for it to be associated with higher intelligence when it itself hinders intelligence

higher intelligence during bursts of mania in bipolar patients does make sense tho, i imagine its something like taking a bunch of dexies, but better, and with a really shitty come down

There's a lot of possibilities. It could be that having high and low IQ predispose you to mental illness, but mental illness then lowers your effective IQ resulting in an overall measured negative trend, or it could be that there's no relationship in itself but mental illness generally lowers your IQ resulting in a measured negative trend, and a ton of others.

Likely something we won't ever have a clear picture on.
Gold: 0.20
Jun 3 2019 12:56am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 3 2019 04:13pm)
There's a lot of possibilities. It could be that having high and low IQ predispose you to mental illness, but mental illness then lowers your effective IQ resulting in an overall measured negative trend, or it could be that there's no relationship in itself but mental illness generally lowers your IQ resulting in a measured negative trend, and a ton of others.

Likely something we won't ever have a clear picture on.

that's where longitudinal studies like the swedish one come in though, no? they should be able to tell u at least if it's the former or the latter

This post was edited by Dominate2 on Jun 3 2019 01:18am
Gold: 0.00
Jun 10 2019 01:44am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Mar 17 2019 08:21am)
Raw score doesnt matter. What matters is the percentile.

Generally iq scores are weighted such that 100 is 50th percentile, but thats not universally true.

Also its a predictor of success, but even the best predictors in psychology are mediocre so dont take any score as fate.

Wrong
100 is the average of any current society
Jun 10 2019 01:45am
LOL
Jun 10 2019 01:46am
Quote (inkanddagger @ May 31 2019 12:00pm)
IQ tests are all inherently flawed. They rely on specific cultural cues and are only a measure of education within a specific culture group and not of actual intelligence. They are also inherently racist, bigoted, and misogynistic.

Disgusting
Gold: 260.11
Jun 10 2019 01:47am
Quote (ValidationSenpai @ Jun 10 2019 01:44am)
Wrong
100 is the average of any current society

You should look up how percentiles work.

I know you're just a dumb multi, but I'm bored.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 10 2019 01:47am
Jun 10 2019 01:49am
Quote (Snyft2 @ May 31 2019 06:47pm)
well hes probably trolling, or might be something to do with the fact that different races do score differently on iq tests. and sure you could blame it on the culture, but when you notice that half the chess champions and nobel prize winners are of one race, while another race struggles to make a single functioning state in the 2nd largest continent on the planet, you might just admit that there is a good possibility that race affects iq :mellow:

noooo :cry: not to boast but im really good at reading people and am very emphatic :blush: ! as you can see by my posting in the poe section! my biggest flaws would be laziness, immaturity, anxiety and depression :wacko: i dont really try hard no matter how important something is :cry:

Do you think China will change their exam questions because too many Canadian or American students can't adapt to the structure of current test standards?
Jun 10 2019 01:52am
Quote (Snyft2 @ May 31 2019 06:47pm)
well hes probably trolling, or might be something to do with the fact that different races do score differently on iq tests. and sure you could blame it on the culture, but when you notice that half the chess champions and nobel prize winners are of one race, while another race struggles to make a single functioning state in the 2nd largest continent on the planet, you might just admit that there is a good possibility that race affects iq :mellow:

noooo :cry: not to boast but im really good at reading people and am very emphatic :blush: ! as you can see by my posting in the poe section! my biggest flaws would be laziness, immaturity, anxiety and depression :wacko: i dont really try hard no matter how important something is :cry:

Or a shithole country that advertises Canada as a product.in their medialeading to surges of localized emmigration
Gold: 397.00
Jun 12 2019 01:34pm
IQ is the best predictor of lifetime success, coming in at approximately 25% of the variance (as in 75% of what makes people successful, on average, is unrelated to IQ). The argument that IQ tests are racist is due to the ugly truth of test results, where asians and jews stack up at the top and other groups towards to bottom. They've done massive studies that have looked at this from every possible angle and the type and format of tests are irrelevant, people who score at the top of one test will score similarly in any and every other test that involves cognitive abstraction. IQ is the best predictor we have (which is not very good, but the best of our crappy tools), followed by conscientiousness/industriousness (~12%), and by now the Big-Five personality characteristics have been measured and tested over many decades and in most countries, to the tune of millions of people. There isn't a lack of data or even a discussion on the validity, the evidence is overwhelming and reliable and the matter was settled quite definitively, many years ago.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll