d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Antiperspirant Deodorants, Shampoo And Toothpaste > Danger Or Myth?
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 578.20
Jan 16 2019 06:23am
Hey there
So I felt the need to stop and reflect upon some of the care products we use in our daily lives such as antiperspirant deodorants, shampoo and toothpaste.
There's obviously articles and studies pointing in two different directions and to someone like me it's a bit of a jungle to really be certain who has truth on their side.

Going into this, there's the concern for lobbying, politics and big companies, lying, money etc. that will screw up the credibility. There's also wishful thinking, "anti-science" gut feelings (as we see with vaccines etc).
I must say I'm confused as to whether these studies are factual or pseudo-science.

Question:

- The opponents to antiperspirants will express the concern that especially the aluminum will stop your armpits from sweating. So is it bad to stop you body from sweating in that area, and does the absorption of aluminum to your body have toxic impacts?
So I've read from a few articles that sweating from your armpits has more of a cooling effect than getting rid of toxicities. Also that the aluminum crystals is a non toxic form in these small quantities. Can anyone with knowledge confirm this?

- For Shampoo it's the concern for preservative chemicals such as parabens. Will the body absorb high enough quantities that it has an harmful influence? Does it wash away useful bacteria?

- In toothpaste it's the concern of fluoride. The short amount of time it's in your mouth, will it be absorbed to have harmful effects? Does it kill useful bacteria etc?

Finally, would you guys recommend any alternatives that work, or are these our most comfortable and useful remedies? Is natural products just a hopeful fantasy to some people?

Thank you.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 16 2019 08:49am
Id advise you do your own research. Fluoride is kids time to debunk the conspiracies so if you can't even do that yourself Id seriously consider getting a physician's opinion on you having a learning disability
Gold: 578.20
Jan 16 2019 08:49am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 16 Jan 2019 15:49)
Id advise you do your own research. Fluoride is kids time to debunk the conspiracies so if you can't even do that yourself Id seriously consider getting a physician's opinion on you having a learning disability

Fair enough, I appreciate your concerns.

But how do you trust a study, making sure there is no involvement from third-parties? Also my concern involves mostly the two others. And as it seems you don't suffer from any learning disability as I might, your insight is surely welcome

This post was edited by LazyDazy on Jan 16 2019 09:13am
Gold: 1,532.01
Jan 16 2019 10:46am
Quote (LazyDazy @ Jan 16 2019 03:49pm)
Fair enough, I appreciate your concerns.

But how do you trust a study, making sure there is no involvement from third-parties? Also my concern involves mostly the two others. And as it seems you don't suffer from any learning disability as I might, your insight is surely welcome

Peer reviews my dude

Find a paper, read it, then read papers that have cited the first
Gold: 63.45
Warn: 30%
Jan 16 2019 11:00am
You can use 100% naturals and home made products to replace everything you use in your house,
such as teethpast (i use siwak roots pouder with menthol for taste)
washmashine pouder
shampoo exists too, but i need a specific one so it can be homemade
house cleaning etc.

really cheap and effective, mostly made with easy products that you will find everywhere.

you are right to consider parabens and other chemicals products harmful, even tho it's not a big issue unless you have some allergies or skin problems.
check also essentials oils, they have a large variety of benefits with moderate use

This post was edited by Melatonina on Jan 16 2019 11:01am
Gold: 2,489.69
Jan 16 2019 12:26pm
there are natural products but i would not entirely forgo flouride.

if you live on city water dont sweat it, you're already drinking some. but make sure to rinse or drink with tap water.

as to the rest there are natural varieties, with varying effectiveness. i for one cant use anything but antiperspirant, even the plain liquid deodorant does nothing to contain my manly smells.
Jan 16 2019 01:05pm
Quote (Melatonina @ Jan 16 2019 11:00am)

check also essentials oils, they have a large variety of benefits with moderate use

If you want a good afternoon look into the cult-like kentality required from essential oils sales associates
Jan 16 2019 01:12pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 16 2019 08:05pm)
If you want a good afternoon look into the cult-like kentality required from essential oils sales associates

the only cult i know is from people without deep medecine knowledge blindly believing in the chemical medecine.
I dont blame it at all, but bashing on things like this, or homeopathy, is a sign of closed-minded and dogmatic spirit, far away from actual science
not saying ofc they arent scams into thoses business, but the biggest one is still on bigpharma's hands

This post was edited by Melatonina on Jan 16 2019 01:13pm
Jan 16 2019 01:14pm
Quote (Melatonina @ Jan 16 2019 01:12pm)
the only cult i know is from people without deep medecine knowledge blindly believing in the chemical medecine.
I dont blame it at all, but bashing on things like this, or homeopathy, is a sign of closed-minded and dogmatic spirit, far away from actual science

Uhhh, I didn't mention anything about the efficacy of essential oils. I said the sales atmosphere is cult-like, and it undeniably is.

Also you have no chemical or medical knowledge if you think homeopathy is anything but bullshit. Like, there's definitely grey areas in science and homeopathy is as far away from that as you could possibly get. You might as well be telling me to accept the four humors model or I'm closed minded.
Jan 16 2019 01:16pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 16 2019 08:14pm)
Uhhh, I didn't mention anything about the efficacy of essential oils. I said the sales atmosphere is cult-like, and it undeniably is.

Also you have no chemical or medical knowledge if you think homeopathy is anything but bullshit. Like, there's definitely grey areas in science and homeopathy is as far away from that as you could possibly get. You might as well be telling me to accept the four humors model or I'm closed minded.

Idiot. You're the one without any credibility here. Still a student. Cant even read my work but still spit his worthless opinion on every subject.
My own father, who is veterinary and not a stupid young student, uses homeopathy, on animals. and it works lol. closed mind cant understand cuz its only placebo. who cares ?
Seriously kid, just nobody cares about your opinion lol. you are wrong on pretty much everything, I guess you're also a climato sceptist ?

This post was edited by Melatonina on Jan 16 2019 01:17pm
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll