d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Ready Player One Rant > The Other Topic Couldn't Be Replied To~
Prev1234514Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 12 2018 03:23pm
Everything about it was fucking terrible, and the entire movie functions on the fact that EVERYONE in the entire world of the film, is completely fucking retarded.

It's been five years, no one can beat this super hard race, it's like impossible. Everyone's scoured every piece of information and everything ever said by the creator, but it's an impossibly hard task. WHAT WILL WE EVER DO!!! Solution to the problem? Literally the guy who made the game telling you what to do (in a clip everyone and their mom would have watched), and it also being something that someone would have done the first fucking day for the fuck of it, because that's what you fucking do in games, you try to break them....

They fucked up EVERYTHING, and I don't give a shit that they changed everything, that's fine. You can change how the events went, how you get the keys etc w/e, but changing every single character, making everyone retarded, and talking down to the audience the entire fucking time (not to mention they changed the actual fucking moral of the entire fucking book), just made it too painful to enjoy. Shit movie was shit.

This was an even worse adaptation than the shit fest Hobbit trilogy.

Quote (Flameyes @ Aug 12 2018 06:14am)
How can you complain about them changing the pop culture references for 'no reason' when it makes absolute sense to change them to current references

If you keep only references from the 80s how many people under the age of 40 do you think would have been interested in the movie? Using current references draws a way bigger audience in

Makes zero sense, 80s nostalgia is at an all-time high recently....

Quote (stupidkid282 @ Aug 11 2018 08:17pm)
I never said that I don't pay attention....

You have extremely poor reading comprehension.

BTW the confession video was Nolan's recorded confession.......you must have missed that part.
The "high 5" was the group insinuated as the top 5 highest scoring players......you must have missed that part.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/ready-player-one/272148/ready-player-one-easter-eggs-references-movie-guide-complete

pop culture references......throughout many decades, and not nearly all just "current"....you must have missed that part.

That's exactly what you said, and you had to go to a website talking about fucking Easter Eggs to back your point up... if it's explained in the movie, it's not an Easter egg lol.

A lot of what was done in this was horribly executed. If you liked it because of the visuals that's fine, Blah already said that, but anyone who likes movies for substance, good writing, well done character development, and a sensible plot etc... is going to fucking loathe this movie, as it fails HARD on all that shit. People who are easily entertained like this type of mind-numbing bore fest, but it was bad and it was made exponentially worse if you read the book.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Aug 12 2018 03:31pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Aug 12 2018 03:52pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Aug 12 2018 02:23pm)
Everything about it was fucking terrible, and the entire movie functions on the fact that EVERYONE in the entire world of the film, is completely fucking retarded.

It's been five years, no one can beat this super hard race, it's like impossible. Everyone's scoured every piece of information and everything ever said by the creator, but it's an impossibly hard task. WHAT WILL WE EVER DO!!! Solution to the problem? Literally the guy who made the game telling you what to do (in a clip everyone and their mom would have watched), and it also being something that someone would have done the first fucking day for the fuck of it, because that's what you fucking do in games, you try to break them....l.

I mean the book makes sense because the first key isn't a fucking race that was known about for 5 years. It was something else and no one even figured out the first riddle for 5 years.

It amazes me that they changed the important part of the trial, aka WHAT it actually was, but kept the 5 year bit even though that literally doesn't make sense for the direction they went in.
Aug 12 2018 05:31pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Aug 12 2018 02:52pm)
I mean the book makes sense because the first key isn't a fucking race that was known about for 5 years. It was something else and no one even figured out the first riddle for 5 years.

It amazes me that they changed the important part of the trial, aka WHAT it actually was, but kept the 5 year bit even though that literally doesn't make sense for the direction they went in.

It would have been fine if they kept it as the race, but make HOW he finds a piece of information to win something crazy (like the book), vs it being something that any fucking idiot amateur gunter would have found the first week. That and then the added fact that going backwards is literally something some ass hat would have tried doing on the first fucking race. It's just so painful how stupid they made the entire world. Then the whole Sorrento thing. You've got a guy working for a company that practically owns the world, he's heading up the most important aspect of the companies financial future as the Oasis accounts for a HUGE amount of their market value, and they hire a fucking retard coffee boy because he says he knew Halliday? That's not how fucking shit works. Me serving Bill Gates coffee once, isn't going to get me a job running fucking Apple... Every concept they pushed was something where you had to first imagine that everyone in this entire world was functioning with about 70 IQ points or less for it to be even somewhat fucking feasible. Just fuck man, I'm still pissed whenever I think about how bad they shit the bed on this.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Aug 12 2018 05:31pm
Aug 12 2018 05:46pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Aug 12 2018 04:31pm)
It would have been fine if they kept it as the race, but make HOW he finds a piece of information to win something crazy (like the book), vs it being something that any fucking idiot amateur gunter would have found the first week. That and then the added fact that going backwards is literally something some ass hat would have tried doing on the first fucking race. It's just so painful how stupid they made the entire world. Then the whole Sorrento thing. You've got a guy working for a company that practically owns the world, he's heading up the most important aspect of the companies financial future as the Oasis accounts for a HUGE amount of their market value, and they hire a fucking retard coffee boy because he says he knew Halliday? That's not how fucking shit works. Me serving Bill Gates coffee once, isn't going to get me a job running fucking Apple... Every concept they pushed was something where you had to first imagine that everyone in this entire world was functioning with about 70 IQ points or less for it to be even somewhat fucking feasible. Just fuck man, I'm still pissed whenever I think about how bad they shit the bed on this.

I really don't think there was any reason to actually change the trials. The ones in the book would have worked well in a movie. Maybe not the war games things cuz.. Like.. copyright and shit. But everything else could have stayed the same imo.
Aug 12 2018 05:57pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Aug 12 2018 04:46pm)
I really don't think there was any reason to actually change the trials. The ones in the book would have worked well in a movie. Maybe not the war games things cuz.. Like.. copyright and shit. But everything else could have stayed the same imo.

Oh for sure, I would have preferred they kept with it, but changing them wouldn't have been a problem for me. The only thing I kinda liked was the Shining bit, but even that they ruined with the terrible fucking dancing bullshit and just bad acting/effects. I get wanting to pull out heavy DnD references, cause no matter how mainstream the nerd world gets, DnD is still not cool to the masses. War Games 100% had to be changed, and translating that scene into a movie might have been cool, but it also could have looked like ass, and switching that one up is a good idea.

I was just saying that I'm not mad about them changing main things like that, I could have lived with ti and still loved the movie, had the movie not sucked ass lol. Even after they took a steaming shit on top of it to make it *better* for the big screen, it somehow ended up a million times worse than I could have possibly imagined. I'm legit just pissed we'll never get a good Ready Player One movie now and I was SOOO fucking hyped when I first heard they were making one. I remember one of the first names attached to direct was Christopher Nolan and I was ecstatic, the second it turned out to be Spielberg, I lost all fucking hope and I was right to do so.
Aug 12 2018 06:26pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Aug 12 2018 04:57pm)
Oh for sure, I would have preferred they kept with it, but changing them wouldn't have been a problem for me. The only thing I kinda liked was the Shining bit, but even that they ruined with the terrible fucking dancing bullshit and just bad acting/effects. I get wanting to pull out heavy DnD references, cause no matter how mainstream the nerd world gets, DnD is still not cool to the masses. War Games 100% had to be changed, and translating that scene into a movie might have been cool, but it also could have looked like ass, and switching that one up is a good idea.

I was just saying that I'm not mad about them changing main things like that, I could have lived with ti and still loved the movie, had the movie not sucked ass lol. Even after they took a steaming shit on top of it to make it *better* for the big screen, it somehow ended up a million times worse than I could have possibly imagined. I'm legit just pissed we'll never get a good Ready Player One movie now and I was SOOO fucking hyped when I first heard they were making one. I remember one of the first names attached to direct was Christopher Nolan and I was ecstatic, the second it turned out to be Spielberg, I lost all fucking hope and I was right to do so.

Idk DnD is in a golden age right now I think. So many people getting into it.

The shining part was neat but they had butchered H's character for some reason. Like H is supposed to be just as knowledgable and shit about this stuff as Z and arty but the first interaction in that scene is "I've never seen this".

Fuck. Change things sure, but at least keep the characters consistent and try to put actual character development into the movie instead of shit like Z and Arty falling in love within 2 minutes of meeting.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Aug 12 2018 06:27pm
Gold: 150.00
Aug 12 2018 07:47pm
i havent read the book but i understand your feelings on it. i remember after seeing it i was pretty sure spielberg had nothing to do with it and just put his name on it because itd sell hard. or maybe hes aware of what people will pay to see and saw no reason to try harder. i guess hes more of a producer these days rather than a director.
that being said i still enjoyed it
it was just eye candy. no thinking needed. it was like a typical fotm copy and paste pop song
idk i can enjoy movies like taxi driver and dude wheres my car. or songs like bohemian rhapsody and the latest calvin harris song.

honestly these days i feel like movies follow the same formula. just needs a few laughs and a way to exploit nostalgia or even present day references. i miss movies like face/off. just an original absurd story thats entertaining as f

This post was edited by MutatedBeaveR on Aug 12 2018 07:48pm
Aug 12 2018 09:22pm
He directed the movie.... not sure how you can say he just slapped his name on it or w/e, it was his fucking movie, everything about it was him lol. It felt like a Spielberg movie, which is why it sucked. He goes for mass appeal generic bullshit, and while it may have worked earlier on his career and with some good casting choices, like Blah said, the guy hasn't done anything actually good in the better part of two decades.

You don't have to have read the book to understand bad plot points though. Seriously, it's a world where literally hundreds of millions if not billions of people are all playing the same game and after 5 years of people trying to complete a fucking race (where the prize is literally becoming the richest and most powerful person in the world) and not a single person thought of going backwards.....

Almost ANY route they could have gone with on Sorrento would have made more sense, but they decided to make the guy leading up the most important department for the second largest company in the entire world, a fucking idiot who has to write his password down on a piece of paper on his computer....

Again, iRock. I don't mind that they made this guy important vs his pointless as fuck character in the book, but it's again sloppy as fuck writing. For some reason, your able to procure items from this one random fucking guy who NEVER puts himself in a position to get killed and only makes a living by fucking others, but he somehow has an item that'd only be obtainable through an absolutely quest that you'd almost certainly die in, and even then, rather than putting it up for auction to make the most money possible, he sells it some back ally deal directly to the head of the sixers because he's dealing with random ass nobodies because...... bad writing.

There was no point to any of it, you felt nothing for any of the characters, the challenges were boring and poorly done and just fucking everything about it from start to finish was painful.
Gold: 150.00
Aug 12 2018 09:37pm
i mean yeah i know he really directed it. its just a hyperbolec(lol) way of saying anyone couldve done it or it was so bad i refused to believe it was him. itd have leaked he had nothing to do it with and thered be a big controversy. i even stated afterwards in a more serious way that yes he essentially just goes for mass appeal.
and yeah like i said its eye candy..no thinking needed.
they didnt try very hard to introduce a believable plot. its a kids movie. a world with hundreds of millions competing for the same thing and some kid prevails..i mean how did you feel about harry potter? lmao. you shouldnt take that part too seriously IMO in 100% of movies/stories. kind of how i meant by how i enjoy both taxi driver and dude wheres my car.

edit: maybe im reaching here but i feel the same way about this movie as i do with the recent starwars/superhero movies. just a mediocre storyline with some jokes and nostalgia. i hate that i come off as pretentious..i enjoy plenty of other mainstream/pop culture but a lot of this shit is just pure trash.

but that being said i actually did enjoy RPO and id watch it again. id never watch any of those SW reboots twice though. or any marvel movie besides the deadpool ones..or is that DC? whatever idc i just mean superhero movies. i havent truly enjoyed one since the nolan trilogy and iron man 1. but i also havent seen a lot of them. mainly because i dont have any interest after seeing some.

This post was edited by MutatedBeaveR on Aug 12 2018 09:42pm
Aug 12 2018 09:50pm
HP where one kid in particular has a literal piece of the adversaries soul inside him, a protection spell cast at the cost of his mother's life to help him stay alive, and guidance from the smartest and most powerful wizard of all time to help him accomplish his goal? Ya... totally the same thing as billions of people being too stupid to try going backwards once in five years.

DP is Marvel

Superhero movies are also mostly trash, but even those made this disaster look good. Same goes for SW and I've disliked all of the new installments. Well, TFA had moments for being a straight knock off of a New Hope, at least it did that well, the rest have all been meh to terrible.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Aug 12 2018 09:51pm
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1234514Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll