d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Best Routines For Building Strength
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 95.50
Jul 27 2018 01:11pm
not worried about size, just looking to build strength all the way around.

currently my routine is
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

just a simple 4 day split I've been using to get back into weightlifting (two years off due to leaving the military with injuries and bum body parts)

its like first workout is 3-5 reps and the rest is 6-12. last workout of each group is a burn set.
its like that for every muscle group.

I used to do the layne norton hypertrophy workout which was amazing but I honestly just got pretty big off that. strength was there but yeah.

I know high weight low reps is typically the key. I'm open to any links or videos.

thanks again

This post was edited by Bayonet on Jul 27 2018 01:12pm
Gold: 15,461.01
Jul 27 2018 01:59pm
Gold: 0.00
Jul 27 2018 03:09pm
Do a 20 rep scheme x3 a week starting at 50% of your 1rm and adding 5-10 lbs a week.

You’ll get stronger
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Jul 27 2018 04:06pm
If you really feel like following something already made, Candito has a few free ones that most people vouch for.
Jul 27 2018 04:31pm
Quote (SBD @ Jul 27 2018 10:06pm)
If you really feel like following something already made, Candito has a few free ones that most people vouch for.

Candito, JTS, Muscle Massochist
Gold: 165.00
Jul 28 2018 05:00pm
PM me
Gold: 11.58
Jul 30 2018 11:07am
size and strength are inherently related, dont let anyone ever tell you otherwise. muscle requires mass to generate force. "high weight, low reps" is a grand oversimplification just like how low fat diets, low carb diets, low calorie diets are disgusting generalizations of how you should optimally eat so that the general public can attempt to follow along.

you build muscle mass by generating muscle tension in workouts. muscle tension applied over time is called impulse. greater muscle impulse per workout probably correlates highly with muscle mass growth and subsequently peak muscle force, or "strength". if my vet thing doesnt work out im going to just do a PhD on this topic, collect 4 years worth of data and ill publish it to you motherfuckers first before a journal.
Jul 30 2018 11:13am
Quote (cloudkicker @ Jul 30 2018 05:07pm)
size and strength are inherently related, dont let anyone ever tell you otherwise. muscle requires mass to generate force. "high weight, low reps" is a grand oversimplification just like how low fat diets, low carb diets, low calorie diets are disgusting generalizations of how you should optimally eat so that the general public can attempt to follow along.

you build muscle mass by generating muscle tension in workouts. muscle tension applied over time is called impulse. greater muscle impulse per workout probably correlates highly with muscle mass growth and subsequently peak muscle force, or "strength". if my vet thing doesnt work out im going to just do a PhD on this topic, collect 4 years worth of data and ill publish it to you motherfuckers first before a journal.

I actually don’t disagree 👍
Gold: 11.58
Jul 30 2018 11:24am
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Jul 30 2018 01:13pm)
I actually don’t disagree 👍

the real reason people struggle with progress these days is that they focus only on number of reps completed and pushing the intensity per set. tempo and eccentric control go out the window, when eccentric reps are where you get by far the most bang for your buck for tension/energy. people just crush as many concentric reps as they can at high weights while basically dropping barbells for the eccentric deadlift or dive bombing squats. this is not only a complete waste of time but a great way to promote injury. drop the intensity and work on control, slow eccentric tempo. muscle will grow and peak force will increase, then you spend some higher intensity/speed days each week practicing technique to fine tune your movements and actually hone the STRENGTH that you have developed through all of the extra physical work that youve done.
Jul 30 2018 12:10pm
Quote (cloudkicker @ Jul 30 2018 05:24pm)
the real reason people struggle with progress these days is that they focus only on number of reps completed and pushing the intensity per set. tempo and eccentric control go out the window, when eccentric reps are where you get by far the most bang for your buck for tension/energy. people just crush as many concentric reps as they can at high weights while basically dropping barbells for the eccentric deadlift or dive bombing squats. this is not only a complete waste of time but a great way to promote injury. drop the intensity and work on control, slow eccentric tempo. muscle will grow and peak force will increase, then you spend some higher intensity/speed days each week practicing technique to fine tune your movements and actually hone the STRENGTH that you have developed through all of the extra physical work that youve done.

People fail because of their shit poor programming. Following Starting Strength programming of 5x5 with linear growth will ensure failure soon after starting.. I've done the math, and if you started January 1st with 185/285/315, according to the programming you should have a 2000 total by December. Suck my ass Mark Rippetoe.

I feel like it should be broken into two caveats of lifters..

Beginners: Focus on building a solid foundation, hypertrophy work and lots of time learning movements
Advanced: Focus on building strength for the rep scheme you want, if you're a power lifter, you should be doing strength blocks lifting 85%+.. If you just want to get stronger, do a 8-10 rep scheme.. You'll get stronger.

Just pick heavy shit up and learn how to do it properly, you'll get stronger.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll