d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Best Routines For Building Strength
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 50.10
Jul 30 2018 01:54pm
I'm all for calling rippetoe a monkey, but starting strength was explicitly made for compliance with narps, not to be used as a program for a strength athlete, and has limited expressed use for a handful of months.
Gold: 361.00
Jul 30 2018 06:48pm
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Jul 30 2018 10:10am)
People fail because of their shit poor programming. Following Starting Strength programming of 5x5 with linear growth will ensure failure soon after starting.. I've done the math, and if you started January 1st with 185/285/315, according to the programming you should have a 2000 total by December. Suck my ass Mark Rippetoe.

I feel like it should be broken into two caveats of lifters..

Beginners: Focus on building a solid foundation, hypertrophy work and lots of time learning movements
Advanced: Focus on building strength for the rep scheme you want, if you're a power lifter, you should be doing strength blocks lifting 85%+.. If you just want to get stronger, do a 8-10 rep scheme.. You'll get stronger.

Just pick heavy shit up and learn how to do it properly, you'll get stronger.

the point of SS is you start with an empty bar

that said i dont recommend it
Gold: 11.58
Jul 31 2018 06:35am
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Jul 30 2018 02:10pm)
People fail because of their shit poor programming. Following Starting Strength programming of 5x5 with linear growth will ensure failure soon after starting.. I've done the math, and if you started January 1st with 185/285/315, according to the programming you should have a 2000 total by December. Suck my ass Mark Rippetoe.

I feel like it should be broken into two caveats of lifters..

Beginners: Focus on building a solid foundation, hypertrophy work and lots of time learning movements
Advanced: Focus on building strength for the rep scheme you want, if you're a power lifter, you should be doing strength blocks lifting 85%+.. If you just want to get stronger, do a 8-10 rep scheme.. You'll get stronger.

Just pick heavy shit up and learn how to do it properly, you'll get stronger.

we dont even understand what makes programming good/shit so that cant be the answer. people who currently design programs are just guessing at what combination of intensity and work at which pace will give the best results and when they find something that works (hint, many things work) they come up with some dumb fuck pseudoscience explanation for why. the JTS "textbook" is so hugely inaccurate and based on old science its alarming that they actually make money on it.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 31 2018 06:48am
Quote (cloudkicker @ Jul 31 2018 12:35pm)
we dont even understand what makes programming good/shit so that cant be the answer. people who currently design programs are just guessing at what combination of intensity and work at which pace will give the best results and when they find something that works (hint, many things work) they come up with some dumb fuck pseudoscience explanation for why. the JTS "textbook" is so hugely inaccurate and based on old science its alarming that they actually make money on it.

I’m interested in an example of what’s wrong in any of CWS books. I’ve read Starting Strength and I read A Thoughtful Pursuit to Strength, and they’re both great books but the JTS programming is infinitely better than SS.
Gold: 361.00
Jul 31 2018 07:23pm
Quote (cloudkicker @ Jul 31 2018 04:35am)

Many things work because they are essentially the same thing - stress the muscle, recover, --> supercompensate

Things like Smolov squatting 4 x week works fast, its stressing the muscle (a lot)

Things like 5/3/1 squatting 1 x week work slow, its stressing the muscle (a little)

Chad WS looks like a clown

edit: I liked his Principles of Strength Training book though

This post was edited by Excusemem8 on Jul 31 2018 07:24pm
Gold: 11.58
Aug 1 2018 05:57am
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Jul 31 2018 09:23pm)
Many things work because they are essentially the same thing - stress the muscle, recover, --> supercompensate

Things like Smolov squatting 4 x week works fast, its stressing the muscle (a lot)

Things like 5/3/1 squatting 1 x week work slow, its stressing the muscle (a little)

Chad WS looks like a clown

edit: I liked his Principles of Strength Training book though

we dont even truly understand causative mechanisms in adaptation. its all assumptions and dogma up to this point. there are some who think muscle damage is secondary and unecessary for growth, more of an immune response induced by tension of the exercise itself.

Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Jul 31 2018 08:48am)
I’m interested in an example of what’s wrong in any of CWS books. I’ve read Starting Strength and I read A Thoughtful Pursuit to Strength, and they’re both great books but the JTS programming is infinitely better than SS.

all of the muscle physiology ive read is bunk. most of the training "science" they talk about is theory and not mechanistic, but described as if it is mechanistic.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 1 2018 10:13pm
candito is good one. shud check it out
Gold: 450.51
Aug 2 2018 01:55am
Quote (cloudkicker @ Jul 30 2018 06:07pm)
if my vet thing doesnt work out im going to just do a PhD on this topic, collect 4 years worth of data and ill publish it to you motherfuckers first before a journal.

Wow, the anger! :D

I you apply the same brutality in the gym, you'd be a beast!
Gold: 5,000.77
Aug 2 2018 07:47am
what cloudkicker is getting at, is that progression is individualistic at the level of

the autonomic constant,
the t(odd) peaking in neural response & optimal TUT,
%ppo transition between sets/exercises/routines,
hypertrophic responses to shifting vol > freq > int > R+ ,
RM predictors and RM tables,
caloric and TEF formulations,

variance is too large to make one or two programs fit them all
Gold: 6.66
Aug 4 2018 05:28pm
Quote (Lightman @ Aug 2 2018 03:47pm)
what cloudkicker is getting at, is that progression is individualistic at the level of

the autonomic constant,
the t(odd) peaking in neural response & optimal TUT,
%ppo transition between sets/exercises/routines,
hypertrophic responses to shifting vol > freq > int > R+ ,
RM predictors and RM tables,
caloric and TEF formulations,

variance is too large to make one or two programs fit them all

What if i factor in the ToF at a certain period of t in ambient T while maintaining an adequate SpO2 and RR with a LMK and a BBQ in the PoS-SoB ratio of F1 and UEFA vs. NFL/NBA correlation all while i SMH at the SDH i got from the sheer mind-blowing effect of abbreviations?

This post was edited by Neptunus on Aug 4 2018 05:30pm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll