d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Cops Shooting Kids > Here We Go Again
Prev1234518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,383.11
Jun 20 2018 02:05pm
Quote (Brian_D @ 20 Jun 2018 22:01)
Cops are paid to do a job, that job comes with danger. When someone is running away from you, you dont shoot them. You chase them. There are many variables to this given the prior circumstances of the stop but that doesnt allow them to kill someone when the person is 1. running away and 2. They dont know if he is armed or not so imo they have to chase the person until they know for sure they are armed and if that is the case and the person attempt to shoot at them, I am 100% okay with them killing the shit out of that person.

they already had their hands full with the other guy and do you seriously expect them to wait until reported gunmen take a shot at them?
Gold: Locked
Jun 20 2018 02:06pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 20 2018 12:53pm)
allegedly, the car matches the description, had bullet holes in the window, and 2 handguns were found inside the car. allegedly.

but since this isn't 8th grade biology there isn't a binary between fight and flight. if he had a handgun on him he could have easily reached back and popped off a few rounds. he was, afterall, clearly involved in a drive by shooting or in a car with people who were.

it's a shame he died, it's a shame he wasn't tasered as he tried to exit the car (once he's moving away that's no longer an option), and its REALLY a shame no body cams were there on the officers.

but in cases like this the kid should be nothing but a number to criminal justice reform advocates, elevating cases where the person was involved in incredibly violent crimes does a disservice to the movement. this kid's either a gang banger or runs with them. didnt deserve to die, as he was unarmed, but doesn't deserve martyrdom either. there has to be a middle ground. in this case let's do some training on running away potentially violent suspects.

but let me make my position VERY clear. if i was training officers, and they were on this scene, and that kid (running away) even half looked back, i'd suggest my officer put 1-2 rounds in him immediately. even the slightest turn back, which could easily be confused for checking if he's being chased. even one slight head turn and i'd justify killing him, tragedy that it is. no leg shots, no we'll get him next time, boom, 1-2 center mass. now if he just straight up runs 50-100 ft away without a glance back? hold onto his buddy and he'll squeel like a pig in the holding cell, you'll get him later that night once u get his home address from his homie.

shooting someone with a bullet =/= capital punishment.

although the line becomes blurred when officers are instructed to aim center mass.

At least half the clip, unless you're sure nobody else is in the car. If he's alone, shoot until he stops moving.

This is, of course, specific to this instance, where it was KNOWN that there were firearms present and KNOWN this vehicle was involved in the shooting. I'm all for due process, but you have to protect your own life so you can continue to protect the lives of those around you who depend on you.

Quote (balrog66 @ Jun 20 2018 12:50pm)
Afaik capital punishment requires due process but I'm just a Eurofag.

Christ how did so many people not get that this is a joke...

This post was edited by BardOfXiix on Jun 20 2018 02:07pm
Gold: 18,534.02
Jun 20 2018 02:07pm
Probably shouldn't be shooting at people fleeing a traffic stop........

Probably shouldn't be participating in drive by shootings, either.

Gold: 475.46
Jun 20 2018 02:08pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Jun 20 2018 01:06pm)
At least half the clip, unless you're sure nobody else is in the car. If he's alone, shoot until he stops moving.

This is, of course, specific to this instance, where it was KNOWN that there were firearms present and KNOWN this vehicle was involved in the shooting. I'm all for due process, but you have to protect your own life so you can continue to protect the lives of those around you who depend on you.

But he knew his life was in danger? Assumption of danger is enough to kill?
Jun 20 2018 02:09pm
Quote (Brian_D @ Jun 20 2018 01:08pm)

Yes. Especially in a situation where it is this strongly implied.
Gold: 2,489.69
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Jun 20 2018 02:06pm)

3 rounds is half ur clip if you're Dirty Harry!

this case brings up a wierd contrast.

This kid: involved in an actual shooting, didnt have the gun on him or visible, ran from police

Tamir Rice: scared a bystander, had a real looking gun with tip removed, just stood there.

so is running important? is a visible gun? is being involved in an actual shooting?

Quote (Brian_D @ Jun 20 2018 02:08pm)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 20 2018 02:10pm
Gold: 22,189.49
Quote (Brian_D @ Jun 20 2018 02:08pm)

yes
the whole US legal system, and most of those coherent ones around the world, are predicated upon the word "reasonable"

This post was edited by Goomshill on Jun 20 2018 02:10pm
Gold: 4,383.11
Jun 20 2018 02:11pm
Quote (Brian_D @ 20 Jun 2018 22:08)

depends on the case and as i said before the flow of information
Jun 20 2018 02:15pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 20 2018 01:09pm)
3 rounds is half ur clip if you're Dirty Harry!

this case brings up a wierd contrast.

This kid: involved in an actual shooting, didnt have the gun on him or visible, ran from police

Tamir Rice: scared a bystander, had a real looking gun with tip removed, just stood there.

so is running important? is a visible gun? is being involved in an actual shooting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner

Tamir Rice was a tragedy. I don't recall all the specifics of how the officer handled the situation, but if you've taken the tip off of a fake gun (which is there in bright orange for YOUR OWN SAFETY), you pose a threat. At that point there is no way for the police to tell the difference between a toy and an active gunman situation, and with how many shootings there have been recently on school property (or was he at a park? Again, details hazy) involving children gunmen, you really can't blame the police too stringently for being on high alert and a short fuse.

I think fleeing is important. If you are compliant, the police should have no reason to harm you unduly--not always the case, especially for black suspects, but I've never claimed the police to be flawless. Any action other than compliance and civil conversation is a risk.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 20 2018 02:15pm
Parts of the general public just can't comprehend what it's like to work in that field.

One thing, it doesn't take long for someone to pull a gun and shoot.
That's why officers are always so assertive about wanting to see hands and having them away from the body.

Action is always faster than reaction, typically.

Unfortunately cops aren't mind readers, allowing someone the opportunity to take that shot on you, is just you placing their life at more value than your own.

Not saying there shouldn't be proper methods laid out, etc. Still reading the other comments here.

This post was edited by GLYC123 on Jun 20 2018 02:19pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll