d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > November 2018 > Elections
Prev15556575859120Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Oct 22 2018 02:24pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Oct 22 2018 03:07pm)
Trump is coming to my city tonight to campaign for Lyin' Ted. I'm just glad the GOP is having to use more time and resources than expected on this race in a Republican stronghold.

Theres a win i can cheer for
Gold: 4,400.67
Oct 22 2018 02:43pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ 22 Oct 2018 21:07)
Trump is coming to my city tonight to campaign for Lyin' Ted. I'm just glad the GOP is having to use more time and resources than expected on this race in a Republican stronghold.

well, look at the absurd amount of money that is being funneled to this race on the democratic side.
https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary?cycle=2018&id=TXS2

generally speaking, a democrat outright doubling the fundraising of a republican incumbent(!) in texas(!!) is quite unheard of.

it's not a likely scenario right now, but just imagine that the Democrats fail to win the senate (likely) and also barely miss the house (not that likely atm, but still well within the realm of possibility). they would really have to ask themselves how many house races they could have tipped with the $26m by which Beto outspent Cruz.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 22 2018 02:43pm
Gold: 57.00
Oct 22 2018 02:55pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 22 Oct 2018 16:43)
well, look at the absurd amount of money that is being funneled to this race on the democratic side.

generally speaking, a democrat outright doubling the fundraising of a republican incumbent(!) in texas(!!) is quite unheard of.

it's not a likely scenario right now, but just imagine that the Democrats fail to win the senate (likely) and also barely miss the house (not that likely atm, but still well within the realm of possibility). they would really have to ask themselves how many house races they could have tipped with the $26m by which Beto outspent Cruz.

People donated to Beto Robert Francis O’Rourke - he took no PAC money per his campaign. Clearly his supporters wanted him to have the funds otherwise they woulda donated to the DNC or DSCC.

Other (D) candidates have no claim to Beto Robert Francis O’Rourke‘s funds and it would be poor form to give his supporters money to some candidate in NY or CA, even if the funds came from there in the first place
Oct 22 2018 03:01pm
Quote (excellence @ 22 Oct 2018 22:55)
People donated to Beto Robert Francis O’Rourke - he took no PAC money per his campaign. Clearly his supporters wanted him to have the funds otherwise they woulda donated to the DNC or DSCC.

Other (D) candidates have no claim to Beto Robert Francis O’Rourke‘s funds and it would be poor form to give his supporters money to some candidate in NY or CA, even if the funds came from there in the first place

i strongly suspect that he wants to save this money for his 2020 presidential bid.
Oct 22 2018 03:03pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 22 Oct 2018 17:01)
i strongly suspect that he wants to save this money for his 2020 presidential bid.

I fully expect that to occur. He will be funded and no matter how much he loses by (if he indeed does lose), the lefties/media will proclaim “he went head-to-head with Cruz in Texas the same Cruz that took on Drumpf he is ready for the big job”. That, coupled with the inevitable circus of candidates that will sprout up in late 2019 will make him look a viable candidate.

im still going with Avenatti in the primaries - he has my full backing there.

This post was edited by excellence on Oct 22 2018 03:04pm
Oct 22 2018 03:11pm
Quote (excellence @ 22 Oct 2018 23:03)
I fully expect that to occur. He will be funded and no matter how much he loses by (if he indeed does lose), the lefties/media will proclaim “he went head-to-head with Cruz in Texas he is ready for the big job”. That, coupled with the inevitable circus of candidates that will sprout up in late 2019 will make him look a viable candidate.

im still going with Avenatti in the primaries he has my full backing there

I think Avenatti has killed his chances with the Kavanaugh disaster.

Beto might really be a strong consensus candidate for the democrats in 2020. They will have a hard time finding a candidate who can get all factions and strains of the party behind his campaign. The party leadership secretly wants to go with a white dude to prevent the anti-feminist, anti-anti-white backlash that we saw in 2016 from repeating itself, but the energy within the party is clearly on its left, progressive wing who would want a woman of color, like Harris, because muh diversity.

The trick with Beto is that he's a white dude who's sucking up to latinos and spouting all the far left talking points the progressive base loves to hear. And he is so handsome and Kennedyesque that he would presumably do well with women too. Him being young would also presumably help with young voters, and create a strong contrast to Trump. A contrast that just wasnt there in the 2016 race.

If there is one candidate who can unite the Democratic coalition in 2020, I think it is Beto. But of course he has to win his race or lose it by a small enough margin. If he gets defeated by 12 percentage points after doubling his opponent's fundraising, he'd fall to the back of the line.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 22 2018 03:13pm
Oct 22 2018 03:23pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 22 Oct 2018 17:11)

Beto might really be a strong consensus candidate for the democrats in 2020. They will have a hard time finding a candidate who can get all factions and strains of the party behind his campaign. The party leadership secretly wants to go with a white dude to prevent the anti-feminist, anti-anti-white backlash that we saw in 2016 from repeating itself, but the energy within the party is clearly on its left, progressive wing who would want a woman of color, like Harris, because muh diversity.

The trick with Beto is that he's a white dude who's sucking up to latinos and spouting all the far left talking points the progressive base loves to hear. And he is so handsome and Kennedyesque that he would presumably do well with women too. Him being young would also presumably help with young voters, and create a strong contrast to Trump. A contrast that just wasnt there in the 2016 race.

If there is one candidate who can unite the Democratic coalition in 2020, I think it is Beto. But of course he has to win his race or lose it by a small enough margin. If he gets defeated by 12 percentage points after doubling his opponent's fundraising, he'd fall to the back of the line.

dont disagree at all (other than Avenatti who i will do my best to help win the primary in a landslide) great post my friend!

what I’m also finding funny is the media will undoubtedly after tonight’s Texas rally will ramp up the whole “Drumpf and Cruz were enemies during the primary now they’re buddies how fake is this blah blah”

completely ignoring the fact the media blatantly and purposefully ignored that Pres Obama and Se(c) Clinton (and their families) actually loathe each other, yet put that “aside” so Clinton could be SoS and then the (D) candidate in 2016.

This post was edited by excellence on Oct 22 2018 03:25pm
Gold: 2,620.00
Oct 22 2018 03:30pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 22 Oct 2018 15:43)

Well, people aren't spending their money and allocating resources in the optimal way for the Democratic party. If that was the case, they'd be putting their donations toward TX7, TX32, or the Arizona, Missouri, and Florida Senate races.

People are donating to O'Rourke's campaign in droves because they find him inspiring and exciting (and they dislike Cruz). 99.89% of his contributions are from individuals, and 44.6% of that is small contributions under $200.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ 22 Oct 2018 16:11)

If there is one candidate who can unite the Democratic coalition in 2020, I think it is Beto. But of course he has to win his race or lose it by a small enough margin. If he gets defeated by 12 percentage points after doubling his opponents fundraising, he'd fall to the back of the line.

O'Rourke does indeed offer the Democrats an intriguing option for 2020. I like his chances better than Kamala Harris' or Warren's. But I still think the health of the economy is the most important factor in the 2020 race by far, with the Democratic candidate choice probably second.

Also on Avenatti, as if he wasn't scummy enough: In a link he tweeted to help raise donations for Beto against Cruz in the Texas race, half of the donation would go to Avenatti's own PAC. So 50% to Beto and 50% to Avenatti if you read the fine print. Pretty scummy and deceiving. He has since deleted the tweet.
Oct 22 2018 04:01pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ 22 Oct 2018 23:30)
O'Rourke does indeed offer the Democrats an intriguing option for 2020. I like his chances better than Kamala Harris' or Warren's. But I still think the health of the economy is the most important factor in the 2020 race by far, with the Democratic candidate choice probably second.

Agreed and agreed. I'm pretty sure Harris would lose the midwest to Trump, and Warren would just get savaged all around.
And yes, the economy is of utmost importance, unless of course if Trump starts an unnecessary war.

Also on Avenatti, as if he wasn't scummy enough: In a link he tweeted to help raise donations for Beto against Cruz in the Texas race, half of the donation would go to Avenatti's own PAC. So 50% to Beto and 50% to Avenatti if you read the fine print. Pretty scummy and deceiving. He has since deleted the tweet.

roflmao!

Avenatti has been honest all along though: from the very beginning, he said that democrats should become dirty scumbacks and not shy away from the lowest of lows, and that he would lead the way in this regard.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 22 2018 04:01pm
Gold: 2,620.00
Oct 22 2018 10:21pm
Considering where Republicans were in the generic congressional ballot just a few months ago, can they really ask for a better set of circumstances leading into the midterms?

-Fantastic economic numbers
-Brett Kavanaugh enthusiasm surge
-Upward Trump approval rating trend
-Visible group of thousands of brown people trying to cross border
-Elizabeth Warren 1/1024 gaffe

Not sure if the last one really moves the needle at all but included it for the luls. But seriously, this has been a timely surge for the GOP. Democrats are falling behind in key Senate races and the House doesn't even look like as sure of a thing anymore. Even if Dems take the House, these last few weeks probably mean the margin will be thinner, which could matter on key votes.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev15556575859120Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll