d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > European Union News > What's Up In The Eu.
Prev1460461462463464646Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.33
Apr 3 2020 06:47am
Jeremy Corbyn has now officially stepped down as leader of the Labour party from today. Can't believe it took him about 4 months to go, tbh.

Worst leader of the Labour party in British history.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 3 2020 06:51am
Quote (dro94 @ Apr 3 2020 08:47am)
Jeremy Corbyn has now officially stepped down as leader of the Labour party from today. Can't believe it took him about 4 months to go, tbh.

Have you guys even brexited?
Gold: 4,400.67
Apr 3 2020 06:55am
Quote (dro94 @ 3 Apr 2020 14:47)

With a different, more traditional Labour leader who'd have been more palatable to LibDems and Tory Remainers, the anti-Brexit forces would imho have prevailed in the end. Johnson was only able to secure his majority because too many potential swing voters considered the alternative of a PM Corbyn to be even worse.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Apr 3 2020 06:55am
Gold: 260.11
Apr 3 2020 10:09am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 3 2020 07:51am)

They have technically brexited, but they're in the "transition period" where if they can't secure trade deals by the end of the year they start getting bent over a table and rammed hard.
Apr 3 2020 11:28am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 3 2020 01:51pm)

Pretty much what Thor said. The transition period will HAVE to be extended with all the coronavirus stuff going on, but our government are currently saying we're not going to. If we don't, it's suicide.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 3 2020 01:55pm)
With a different, more traditional Labour leader who'd have been more palatable to LibDems and Tory Remainers, the anti-Brexit forces would imho have prevailed in the end. Johnson was only able to secure his majority because too many potential swing voters considered the alternative of a PM Corbyn to be even worse.

It's all conjecture now, but you may be right.

You could say Corbyn's pro-leave plan has been executed to perfection and he was actually an undercover genius.
Apr 4 2020 04:09am
Keir Starmer is the new leader of the Labour party, which is good news. Wanted a different deputy leader than Angela Rayner but you can't get everything. I might actually vote Labour next time instead of voting for a fringe party or simply not going to vote.
Apr 4 2020 04:23am
Quote (dro94 @ 4 Apr 2020 12:09)
Keir Starmer is the new leader of the Labour party, which is good news. Wanted a different deputy leader than Angela Rayner but you can't get everything. I might actually vote Labour next time instead of voting for a fringe party or simply not going to vote.

Starmer was the least "corbynistic" of the candidates, right?
Apr 4 2020 04:37am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 4 2020 11:23am)
Starmer was the least "corbynistic" of the candidates, right?

Lisa Nandy was actually. She actively opposed him at certain points, most notably when many MPs tried to get Corbyn out in 2016, whereas Starmer was part of Corbyn's shadow cabinet and worked with him more closely.

I can understand why Starmer did that, despite having different views to Corbyn, but I wouldn't have minded Nandy being leader either.

I'm just glad there's an intelligent and respectable politician as leader now. Corbyn had far left views that the country didn't like, but a similarly important (and less discussed) point is that he has no intellect whatsoever. He got 2 E's at A levels (our 16-18 y/o exams before uni)...for a comparison I got ABB, was fucking about, and I wouldn't dream of being intelligent enough to lead a country.
Apr 4 2020 04:44am
Quote (dro94 @ 4 Apr 2020 12:37)
Lisa Nandy was actually. She actively opposed him at certain points, most notably when many MPs tried to get Corbyn out in 2016, whereas Starmer was part of Corbyn's shadow cabinet and worked with him more closely.

I can understand why Starmer did that, despite having different views to Corbyn, but I wouldn't have minded Nandy being leader either.

I'm just glad there's an intelligent and respectable politician as leader now. Corbyn had far left views that the country didn't like, but a similarly important (and less discussed) point is that he has no intellect whatsoever. He got 2 E's at A levels (our 16-18 y/o exams before uni)...for a comparison I got ABB, was fucking about, and I wouldn't dream of being intelligent enough to lead a country.

Aaand there's also the anti-semitism which flourished under his leadership...

I'm glad he's gone too, but at least from the pov of Labour and left-leaning voters, it's too late. Johnson has achieved everything he wanted, and now he has almost 5 years with a solid majority. With Brexit and coronavirus, he's got his work cut out for him and will provide plenty of opportunity for Labour to distinguish themselves, but it will still be a long long 4.5 years in opposition.

In Germany, there's a saying which roughly translates as "the opposition bench is hard and cold".

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Apr 4 2020 04:46am
Apr 4 2020 05:59am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 4 2020 11:44am)
Aaand there's also the anti-semitism which flourished under his leadership...

I'm glad he's gone too, but at least from the pov of Labour and left-leaning voters, it's too late. Johnson has achieved everything he wanted, and now he has almost 5 years with a solid majority. With Brexit and coronavirus, he's got his work cut out for him and will provide plenty of opportunity for Labour to distinguish themselves, but it will still be a long long 4.5 years in opposition.

In Germany, there's a saying which roughly translates as "the opposition bench is hard and cold".

Johnson has achieved everything he wanted for now, but hasn't that involved a large amount of kicking the can down the road (an English saying :D) ?

What happens at the end of the year when no FTA has been agreed with the EU or anyone else? The EU are open to extending the transition period due to there being no chance of getting a good deal in time, but even the Coronavirus hasn't made our government open to an extension.

I just think the government are overplaying their hand and their heavy-handedness will result in chaos. On top of that, the government's handling of the Coronavirus pandemic has been verging on national scandal. There will certainly be an independent enquiry into it after it's done and if the government are heavily criticised it could lead to a motion of no confidence and force a general election.

Simply put, there's a decent chance that there will be a general election before 2024.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1460461462463464646Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll