d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > Official Vancouver Canucks Fan Thread > We're All Canucks
Prev1641642643644645879Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,801.00
Mar 1 2020 08:49pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Mar 1 2020 06:44pm)
If Benning doesn't have the balls to fire Green after tonight he has to go too. Still NHL-caliber coaches sitting on the sidelines. Even if Gallant isn't on board this squad is simply incapable of playing cohesively for a full game. Anyone with a brain who can hold players accountable and have something that resembles a system works at least until the end of the season.

Complete coaching and leadership failure. team was playing fine vs a clearly inferior squad then decides to take some shifts off. Horvat skating in quicksand, Roussel and Sutter with absolutely terrible penalties, PK just watching and hoping they'll be puck magnets. I feel terrible for Domingue, bad stats continue but no fault of his own on any of the goals. Props to the Jackets for fighting back but we handed the game on a platter.

Washington, Pittsburgh, and now Columbus.

6 points squandered on what should have been sure wins. That pk was painful. Let the d-man with 20 goals tee them up at his leisure. What could go wrong...

I want to see Green fired as well. How can he not keep a basic system in place to close out a game. It is so simple.
Gold: 34.33
Mar 1 2020 08:50pm
disappointed but not surprised.

True canucks fashion
Gold: 2,647.74
Mar 1 2020 08:57pm
Quote (Killingyouall @ Mar 1 2020 06:49pm)
Washington, Pittsburgh, and now Columbus.

6 points squandered on what should have been sure wins. That pk was painful. Let the d-man with 20 goals tee them up at his leisure. What could go wrong...

I want to see Green fired as well. How can he not keep a basic system in place to close out a game. It is so simple.

People used to meme about AV's "protect the 0-0 lead" but a huge part of our success during the Sedins era was because we'd go up 1-2 goals then grind teams out by just playing boring-ass chip-and-chase then cycling as long as possible, easily killing a ton of time off the clock before the other team could muster a quality chance. It's basic probability - the onus is on the other team to create chances because when no one has a good look it obviously favors the team with a lead.

Even when we have a comfortable lead this squad keeps running up the ice and wanting to make big plays so the other team keeps getting breaks when they don't work out. And I guess our anchor veterans also can't play disciplined for shit and just take terrible penalties. Roussel destroying his water bottle when his penalty led to the GWG sums up what's wrong with him and most of the older players. We can't even have the expectation that they won't do something fucking stupid like Sutter wanting to be the superintendent of the danglebus when the game is 3-1 with 6 minutes to go then taking a panic penalty when it doesn't work out.

This post was edited by Hizkuntza on Mar 1 2020 08:58pm
Gold: 8,732.50
Mar 1 2020 09:02pm
Losing Beagle hurt our PK pretty hard, but I saw this coming when Green loves to play "passive" when we hold a 1 goal lead. It's been proven many times, the other teams eventually comes back to win it. I don't know why he doesn't just continue doing YOLO strat. If they're gonna lose like this, might as well lose trying to score even more goals than trying to play defensively when the team is pure shit at it, and eventually allow them to tie it up and win the game :rofl:

Mar 1 2020 09:05pm
Quote (Secksii @ Mar 1 2020 07:02pm)
Losing Beagle hurt our PK pretty hard, but I saw this coming when Green loves to play "passive" when we hold a 1 goal lead. It's been proven many times, the other teams eventually comes back to win it. I don't know why he doesn't just continue doing YOLO strat. If they're gonna lose like this, might as well lose trying to score even more goals than trying to play defensively when the team is pure shit at it, and eventually allow them to tie it up and win the game :rofl:

It's not even that Beagle is particularly good defensively (because he's slow as fuck despite his hustle), he just is really strong on the draw which leads to the team not having to do as much penalty killing in the first place.
Gold: 17,801.00
Mar 1 2020 09:08pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Mar 1 2020 06:57pm)
People used to meme about AV's "protect the 0-0 lead" but a huge part of our success during the Sedins era was because we'd go up 1-2 goals then grind teams out by just playing boring-ass chip-and-chase then cycling as long as possible, easily killing a ton of time off the clock before the other team could muster a quality chance. It's basic probability - the onus is on the other team to create chances because when no one has a good look it obviously favors the team with a lead.

Even when we have a comfortable lead this squad keeps running up the ice and wanting to make big plays so the other team keeps getting breaks when they don't work out. And I guess our anchor veterans also can't play disciplined for shit and just take terrible penalties. Roussel destroying his water bottle when his penalty led to the GWG sums up what's wrong with him and most of the older players. We can't even have the expectation that they won't do something fucking stupid like Sutter wanting to be the superintendent of the danglebus when the game is 3-1 with 6 minutes to go then taking a panic penalty when it doesn't work out.

I think that is what makes it hurt even more. These plays came from veteran guys who are supposed to be a calming presence, not 20 year old rookies lacking experience and tact.

If these veterans who don't contribute much offensively can not be relied to close out what should be a simple win then what are they good for?

This is a team that fired 40 shots and the net tonight and looked like they were in control from the very start. When the coach and the veterans players can not settle down a game and play a very simple style it will be the coach who is going to go first.

The thing is I can't even get mad at the players. Management should know who these players are before they sign/trade for them. At this point in their careers it is pretty well set in stone who these players are.

If Green could not put a lid on it after two disastrous losses to Washington and Pittsburgh he has to go.
Mar 1 2020 09:08pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Mar 1 2020 07:57pm)

I'm not sure what Canuck games you've been watching, but definitely not the same as I.

Anytime this team gets a lead they sit on their asses and pray time runs out before the other team scores.

Even if the game is tied you see Green and his squad of overpaid bottom 6 players trying to play to get to overtime. Outside of the top line, when they do see ice time, doesn't look like its ever playing to win, only to try and hold their head above water.
Gold: 8,732.50
Mar 1 2020 09:11pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ 1 Mar 2020 19:05)
It's not even that Beagle is particularly good defensively (because he's slow as fuck despite his hustle), he just is really strong on the draw which leads to the team not having to do as much penalty killing in the first place.

He's slow but damn effective like the sedins were. He just knows what it takes to win a game, there's a reason he's the only player that is a champ in all the leagues he played in.
So many times he wins crucial faceoffs and goes to the bench or at least play keep away long enough to kill penalties. Rather have him for another 5 years as long as he's healthy than Roussel and Sutter combined.

Quote (Farine @ 1 Mar 2020 19:08)
I'm not sure what Canuck games you've been watching, but definitely not the same as I.

Anytime this team gets a lead they sit on their asses and pray time runs out before the other team scores.

Even if the game is tied you see Green and his squad of overpaid bottom 6 players trying to play to get to overtime. Outside of the top line, when they do see ice time, doesn't look like its ever playing to win, only to try and hold their head above water.

completely agree with you, exactly what im trying to say about Green trying to get his players to suddenly change their playstyle to 180 degrees and expect them to protect the lead. I think he needs to just stick with his playstyle and go all in, even if it means a bad breakaway and the other team coming back to tie/win. At least the team won't look confused af and like they turn off.

This post was edited by Secksii on Mar 1 2020 09:13pm
Mar 1 2020 09:12pm
Canucks have 5 wins in the last 13 games and 2 in their last 7.
Mar 1 2020 09:15pm
Quote (Farine @ Mar 1 2020 07:08pm)

What I mentioned is what leads to our team being stuck puck-watching when the play goes the other way. Opposing team often gets in the zone in numbers so the defenders are forced to collapse, then by the time everyone is defending the other team is in complete control and the players are probably tired - either from having to battle outnumbered at first or because they ran up the ice then had to go back to defend. It's not necessarily that the players decide "well guess I will just hang back and leave it to the goalie" but they systematically end up playing like that because of the choices they've made earlier in the play.
Go Back To Hockey Topic List
Prev1641642643644645879Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll