d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > True Detective S4
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,355.04
Jan 16 2024 03:19pm
Just premiered on HBO

I have mixed feelings on the first episode. I think the setting of permanently dark Alaska is awesome and the crime itself is quite intriguing, but in a show where every season has been defined by phenomenal characters the leads in this season (after 1 episode) are pretty terrible. I like Jodie foster as much as the next guy but her entire character is just based around her being an asshole. And kali reis’ character is the same exact thing except she’s an asshole AND she cares about an old case

It’s possible that they both have great character arcs but I’m not optimistic. The supernatural elements seem out of place in what has otherwise been a very grounded show also

I know it’s a bit unfair to hold anything up to the precedent set by the first season but it’s still sad that we won’t be getting anything close to as good anytime soon
Jr Admin
Gold: 248,966.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 17 2024 12:26pm
It seems like they are going back to their Lovecraftian cosimc horror roots. This one already feels very akin to "At the Mountains of Madness", or even "The Thing" (which is largely based on the aforementioned novella).
The fact that they start the show off, with a quote from a fictional character from one of the short stories found in "The King in Yellow", probably means they are going all in on those themes this season.

My biggest concern is the season turning into Lovecraft schlock. Season 1 was amazing AND it had deep cosmic horror themes, for those who looked closer. It was all implied, hinted at, and in the background.
If they decide to make it the focus this season, I have a feeling it's going to fall short.

As for characters acting like "assholes", I feel this is a bit early to label, when we've only got a pilot episode to judge from.
Gold: 435.50
Jan 24 2024 04:51pm
i completely agree here
i was surprised theyre hinting at a supernatural or possessed being in this season when past seasons have been very much reality
Gold: 6.00
Jan 25 2024 07:27pm
Quote (ZeFakk @ Jan 24 2024 05:51pm)
i completely agree here
i was surprised theyre hinting at a supernatural or possessed being in this season when past seasons have been very much reality

Consider this, season 1 was heavily rooted in a religious state and serial killings/ brutal tortures were influenced by that dark history.

Most of us would agree here that these supernatural influences were not reality and Cole helped the audience as well as the narrative to be brought back to brutal reality of humanity.

Fast forwarding to S4, there are supernatural undertones of the spiritual beliefs of the arctic culture that is also slowly unraveling.
Cheif Danvers is similarly not influenced by these non-realities and I imagine will guide us through it, the woman who "followed her dead husband" ,who turns out to be Travis Cole, has developed as being drug user.. seen only smoking weed but culturally speaking they are known to use different methods of having induced hallucinating visions.

So I don't so far believe that there is anything actually supernatural going on, just a story being told by different angles at the moment.

Awesome season so far

A lot going on, but I'm absolutely hooked.

They packed a lot into s4E1... a little too much possibly, were thrown in the middle of two cases immediately one seemingly inactive/ unsolved and the current .. which there will be a lot of back tracking and explanations..

S1is some of the best TV in the history of TV series even beyond the genre. I would never expect anything better or hang my interest on this season comparatively

This post was edited by zNick on Jan 25 2024 07:33pm
Jan 28 2024 09:01pm
Ugh.. 3 episodes of loosely combing through 10 different people's past trauma is a little much. Hope it picks up next week.
Jan 28 2024 09:21pm
Quote (zNick @ Jan 28 2024 10:01pm)
Ugh.. 3 episodes of loosely combing through 10 different people's past trauma is a little much. Hope it picks up next week.

Agreed. Not overly impressed so far. It’s especially sad that the crime itself is pretty compelling but they’re dropping the ball on everything else

Also I’m so tired of the constant flirting with supernatural elements to the point where it’s going to suck regardless of if they reveal they’re all fake or not. Just seems like they needed an excuse to make their show more spooky at this point
Jr Admin
Gold: 248,966.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 29 2024 06:30am
So far, this season ranks on par with S3, imo. Sadly, it feels like they are going overboard with the cosmic/eldritch horror, instead of just keeping it implied and in the background.
While this isn't entirely unexpected, with the references to The Thing, and Robert W. Chambers' works, etc., hopefully it doesn't turn into schlock.

-[spoilers]-
Did you pick up on Travis (the ghost/vision dancing and pointing in the snow), is Travis Cohle. Rust from S1's father.
In S1, Rust mentions he was raised in Alaska.
Jan 29 2024 09:08am
Quote (lz4 @ Jan 29 2024 07:30am)
So far, this season ranks on par with S3, imo. Sadly, it feels like they are going overboard with the cosmic/eldritch horror, instead of just keeping it implied and in the background.
While this isn't entirely unexpected, with the references to The Thing, and Robert W. Chambers' works, etc., hopefully it doesn't turn into schlock.

-[spoilers]-
Did you pick up on Travis (the ghost/vision dancing and pointing in the snow), is Travis Cohle. Rust from S1's father.
In S1, Rust mentions he was raised in Alaska.

Yes it's him. He died from leukemia as per Rust and info in season 4
Gold: 435.50
Jan 31 2024 03:46pm
Quote (zNick @ Jan 25 2024 07:27pm)
Consider this, season 1 was heavily rooted in a religious state and serial killings/ brutal tortures were influenced by that dark history.

Most of us would agree here that these supernatural influences were not reality and Cole helped the audience as well as the narrative to be brought back to brutal reality of humanity.

Fast forwarding to S4, there are supernatural undertones of the spiritual beliefs of the arctic culture that is also slowly unraveling.
Cheif Danvers is similarly not influenced by these non-realities and I imagine will guide us through it, the woman who "followed her dead husband" ,who turns out to be Travis Cole, has developed as being drug user.. seen only smoking weed but culturally speaking they are known to use different methods of having induced hallucinating visions.

So I don't so far believe that there is anything actually supernatural going on, just a story being told by different angles at the moment.

Awesome season so far

A lot going on, but I'm absolutely hooked.

They packed a lot into s4E1... a little too much possibly, were thrown in the middle of two cases immediately one seemingly inactive/ unsolved and the current .. which there will be a lot of back tracking and explanations..

S1is some of the best TV in the history of TV series even beyond the genre. I would never expect anything better or hang my interest on this season comparatively

season 1 was the best for sure but i dont like season 4 and the acting is bad, my opinion
i hope the season closes out with a bang because i think its already halkfway through
Feb 1 2024 08:24am
Quote (ZeFakk @ Jan 31 2024 04:46pm)
season 1 was the best for sure but i dont like season 4 and the acting is bad, my opinion
i hope the season closes out with a bang because i think its already halkfway through

Idk if the acting is bad I think the characters that they have to work with just suck ass. There is absolutely no way Jodie foster is directed to do anything but be a bitch to everyone all the time. Not much you can do with that
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll