d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Ron Desantis Presidential Debut
Prev1234568Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
May 25 2023 02:05pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ May 25 2023 03:00pm)
I disagree with your loaded framing, but you actually have a point: DeSantis has been really good at maximizing "conservative wins" with aggressive strategies which used all the leverage he had at his disposal in Florida, which is structurally medium-red in local and state level politics. So his selling point in contrast to Trump ("I am actually good at governing and producing results") is a question mark when it comes to the federal level. Would he be as effective as he has been in Florida if he didn't get to operate from a position of power and leverage, say if he presided over a divided Congress with a -5 net approval rating?

You should look into DeSantis actual actions. He's actively ousted unfavorable elected and appointed politicians at every level and his attacks on Disney are blatantly unconstitutional. You don't get to tailor laws to only impact one company as retribution for political speech.

You are the one using loaded framing because you're using neutral language to describe what are blatantly corrupt and unconstitutional actions as "maximizing conservative wins with aggressive strategies".

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on May 25 2023 02:06pm
Gold: 16,514.00
Warn: 10%
May 25 2023 02:09pm
Quote (YeeHaw @ May 25 2023 12:54pm)
Because there are gullible (insert synonym for morons that wouldn’t get me in trouble here) such as yourself that foam at the mouth constantly waiting for the next nazi accusation and the like.

Here this one is for you buddy https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=91539596&f=119

lol I love how hard you cope. for complaining so much about woke libtard snowflakes, you sure do play a strong victim card
Gold: 2,489.69
May 25 2023 02:12pm
Quote (YeeHaw @ May 25 2023 02:51pm)
Unfortunately. This is going to be an exciting primary to say the least. There is no way you can put trump and Desantis on a debate stage without trump looking like a fucking loser and Desantis coming out on top on every issue. There are just so many stupid people it will be much closer than it should be.

The democrat primary is looking to be a laughing stock so far, but that is for another thread.

zero chance dems call a primary if biden is truly running.

cant fucking wait for the GOP primary.
Gold: 4,400.67
May 25 2023 02:13pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 25 May 2023 21:43)
correct, that's my point. his "advantage" would be that's he's less brash, and therefore could in theory draw more bipartisan support. but these days bipartisan support doesnt exist, so he has no advantage over trump in a primary.

I think there's two logical flaws with this.

1. You are assuming that the GOP primary electorate is making an informed and strategic choice to pick the candidate which they think has the higher chance of winning the general election. I disagree with both points. A big chunk, probably the majority, of Trump's die-hard supporters are deluded about his actual electability and genuinely believe that he's more electable than DeSantis. And a big chunk of the entire primary electorate will imho vote for the candidate they personally like more, rather than the candidate they think the rest of the country will like more.

2. There is almost no more bipartisanship, true. What there still is, however, are persuadable swing voters. We saw that in both 2020 and 2022. In 2020, Trump's base showed up in full force, but Biden still won because a critical mass of voters, particularly in the suburbs, abandoned Trump and switched over to him. And they did that because Biden was inoffensive enough. Had Bernie won the Dem nomination, I think Trump pulls it off and wins reelection for this exact reason. And in 2022, we saw a notable underperformance of pretty much every single GOP candidate who was perceived as an election denier or extremist. Likewise, there were a few races in which ideologically extreme Dem candidates unexpectedly lost re-election. 2022 was a really bad cycle for all sorts of wackos and crazies.

So in this sense, DeSantis presenting himself as a sane, drama-free Trump-clone should benefit him. Definitely in the general election, should he make it that far, but probably also in the primary. He's still the underdog for the primary though since Trump starts with such a high floor that DeSantis needs to consolidate almost everyone else.
Gold: 4,400.67
May 25 2023 02:18pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 25 May 2023 22:05)
You should look into DeSantis actual actions. He's actively ousted unfavorable elected and appointed politicians at every level and his attacks on Disney are blatantly unconstitutional. You don't get to tailor laws to only impact one company as retribution for political speech.

You are the one using loaded framing because you're using neutral language to describe what are blatantly corrupt and unconstitutional actions as "maximizing conservative wins with aggressive strategies".

It's the other way round: Disney had a law tailor made for itself. Claiming that a democratically elected state government has no right to revoke such a corporate privilege is absurd.
Gold: 2,489.69
May 25 2023 02:25pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ May 25 2023 03:13pm)
I think there's two logical flaws with this.

1. You are assuming that the GOP primary electorate is making an informed and strategic choice to pick the candidate which they think has the higher chance of winning the general election. I disagree with both points. A big chunk, probably the majority, of Trump's die-hard supporters are deluded about his actual electability and genuinely believe that he's more electable than DeSantis. And a big chunk of the entire primary electorate will imho vote for the candidate they personally like more, rather than the candidate they think the rest of the country will like more.

2. There is almost no more bipartisanship, true. What there still is, however, are persuadable swing voters. We saw that in both 2020 and 2022. In 2020, Trump's base showed up in full force, but Biden still won because a critical mass of voters, particularly in the suburbs, abandoned Trump and switched over to him. And they did that because Biden was inoffensive enough. Had Bernie won the Dem nomination, I think Trump pulls it off and wins reelection for this exact reason. And in 2022, we saw a notable underperformance of pretty much every single GOP candidate who was perceived as an election denier or extremist. Likewise, there were a few races in which ideologically extreme Dem candidates unexpectedly lost re-election. 2022 was a really bad cycle for all sorts of wackos and crazies.

So in this sense, DeSantis presenting himself as a sane, drama-free Trump-clone should benefit him. Definitely in the general election, should he make it that far, but probably also in the primary. He's still the underdog for the primary though since Trump starts with such a high floor that DeSantis needs to consolidate almost everyone else.

i think you misunderstood me. to parse it out.

in primary: lack of personality is a disadvantage, trump wins on crowd appeal as they have the same policies

in general: lack of personality is an advantage, he can calmly beat biden in debate, trump will get carried away and it will be a shit show

in office: lack of personality SHOULD be an advantage to get bipartisan support. but he'll show up day 1 already too demonized to get any support and be stuck ruling through EOs.
Gold: 0.00
May 25 2023 02:32pm
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL cant wait for this shit show of an election LMAO
Gold: 633.87
May 25 2023 02:35pm
Quote (gnarjay @ May 25 2023 03:47pm)
why do you think that is? try to answer without blaming anyone on the left

The overwhelming majority of journalists are left-wing. You are asking a very simple question and there's a very simple answer.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ May 25 2023 10:01am)
He is not. He is great in the roles of chief executive and policy leader, but his skills at retail politics, interviews and PR leave a ton to be desired. He is socially awkward and devoid of charisma. I still believe he has a chance to pull it off, and he would be by far my preferred president over Trump, Biden, Harris or all the other shmucks from the GOP primary field. But anyone who thinks DeSantis would be an electoral juggernaut, or a sure thing in the general against Biden, are delusional. DeSantis has the potential to be a consistent 52% guy while Trump is a consistent 47% guy, and it makes all the difference in the world, but that's just about the ceiling DeSantis would have as a national candidate. He will never become the next Reagan or win a general election by 8+ percent or anything like that.

Yes, he's a bit stiff, but there can't be a "next Reagan" in this political environment. The United States is a far more polarized place.

Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 25 2023 04:05pm)

What other company in Florida acts as its own political entity? Political retribution against political actors is absolutely legal and has been since the country's founding.

This post was edited by bogie160 on May 25 2023 02:37pm
Gold: 0.00
May 25 2023 02:39pm
Quote (bogie160 @ May 25 2023 04:35pm)
The overwhelming majority of journalists are left-wing. You are asking a very simple question and there's a very simple answer.

Yes, he's a bit stiff, but there can't be a "next Reagan" in this political environment. The United States is a far more polarized place.

What other company in Florida acts as its own political entity? Political retribution against political actors is absolutely legal and has been since the country's founding.

lolololol when the side you like more does it its ok, when the side you dont like does it, you rage. and wonders why the US is polarized.
Gold: 633.87
May 25 2023 02:40pm
Quote (Budgeting @ May 25 2023 04:39pm)
lolololol when the side you like more does it its ok, when the side you dont like does it, you rage. and wonders why the US is polarized.

Can you name an equivalent situation?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234568Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll