d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Basketball > Best Projected Lineups 2019 > #1 Raptors
Prev1789101112Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 14 2018 10:56am
Quote (SlakeMoth @ Aug 14 2018 12:51pm)
It occured to me partway through that I completely forgot to add the "half-assed attempt to support claims with facts that I may or may not have fabricated" stage. Too lazy to put it in there 😕

At what point did I fabricate my facts?

Don't worry I'll wait
Gold: 1,400.23
Warn: 10%
Aug 14 2018 11:13am
Quote (Sixers @ 14 Aug 2018 19:56)
At what point did I fabricate my facts?

Don't worry I'll wait

It was just an assumption 🤤

I don't even know how many ppl are on a bball team

This post was edited by SlakeMoth on Aug 14 2018 11:14am
Aug 14 2018 11:28am
Quote (SlakeMoth @ Aug 14 2018 01:13pm)
It was just an assumption 🤤

I don't even know how many ppl are on a bball team

I think 52 or 53.
Gold: 1,579.01
Warn: 10%
Aug 14 2018 11:50am
Quote (Sixers @ Aug 14 2018 01:28pm)
I think 52 or 53.

58 before season starts, 73 go into preseason
Aug 14 2018 12:45pm
Quote (Adverb @ Aug 14 2018 01:50pm)
58 before season starts, 73 go into preseason

Wrong.

NBA rosters are 52 nerd.
Gold: 95.40
Warn: 30%
Aug 14 2018 12:48pm
Quote (Sixers @ Aug 14 2018 10:52am)
Nothing that i"m saying is that unreasonable, and it would be widely agreed with for anyone that actually watched Shaq and watches Embiid today.

Todays NBA game is very much different, we all know that. This is why it's difficult to compare players from different eras.

shaq was way better in his prime...and a prime shaq in todays game would be a guaranteed bucket or trip to the ft line...literally no one could guard him today
Aug 14 2018 01:03pm
Quote (VivaciousBamby @ Aug 14 2018 02:48pm)
shaq was way better in his prime...and a prime shaq in todays game would be a guaranteed bucket or trip to the ft line...literally no one could guard him today

Well Embiid isn't even in his prime, so that's a bit hard to judge at this point because we don't know quite how good he will eventually be (he has the ceiling to be an all-time great).

What we can say is that Embiid is a more versatile and well rounded player. Period. As I've said 47 times already, Shaq was a better low post scorer and he dominanted from that area and that was his bread and butter. Embiid is a game changer defensively already just two seasons in, able to not just be arguably the best rim protector in the league but a terrific defender against the perimeter or p&r plays. That's something that Shaq never was, ever. People like shine see the blocks per game from Shaq and think he was some godly defender, disregarding the fact that back then Shaq could get away with just just cementing his feet in the paint because opposing big men couldn't do what they can do today (face up, shoot 3's, take guys off the dribble, run the floor, etc). Spacing wasn't a big thing back then, teams could get away with anchoring the paint like the old school slow footed centers. Shaq was certainly a good 1 on 1 low post defender, but that's about it. If you asked Shaq to defend todays guards and the way teams play today he would get torched defensively, he can't guard the P&R for shit (never could).

Quote (VivaciousBamby @ Aug 14 2018 02:48pm)

Where he would probably build a brick house, because he was one of the worst free throw shooters in NBA history....right around that 50% mark his entire career :rofl: :wallbash:

I mean fuck, the NBA created a rule because of Hack-A-Shaq to help prevent teams from negating Shaq's production, that's how bad it was. Not only that, but the defensive three second rule was implemented so big men like Shaq had to actually move a bit on defense.

This post was edited by Sixers on Aug 14 2018 01:06pm
Gold: 95.40
Warn: 30%
Aug 14 2018 01:25pm
Quote (Sixers @ Aug 14 2018 03:03pm)
Well Embiid isn't even in his prime, so that's a bit hard to judge at this point because we don't know quite how good he will eventually be (he has the ceiling to be an all-time great).

What we can say is that Embiid is a more versatile and well rounded player. Period. As I've said 47 times already, Shaq was a better low post scorer and he dominanted from that area and that was his bread and butter. Embiid is a game changer defensively already just two seasons in, able to not just be arguably the best rim protector in the league but a terrific defender against the perimeter or p&r plays. That's something that Shaq never was, ever. People like shine see the blocks per game from Shaq and think he was some godly defender, disregarding the fact that back then Shaq could get away with just just cementing his feet in the paint because opposing big men couldn't do what they can do today (face up, shoot 3's, take guys off the dribble, run the floor, etc). Spacing wasn't a big thing back then, teams could get away with anchoring the paint like the old school slow footed centers. Shaq was certainly a good 1 on 1 low post defender, but that's about it. If you asked Shaq to defend todays guards and the way teams play today he would get torched defensively, he can't guard the P&R for shit (never could).

Where he would probably build a brick house, because he was one of the worst free throw shooters in NBA history....right around that 50% mark his entire career :rofl: :wallbash:

I mean fuck, the NBA created a rule because of Hack-A-Shaq to help prevent teams from negating Shaq's production, that's how bad it was. Not only that, but the defensive three second rule was implemented so big men like Shaq had to actually move a bit on defense.

shaq is miles ahead of lebron and you even admitting embid isnt in his prime means you are judging on something that hasnent even happened
also getting the other team in FT trouble is an extremely valuable quality to have

typicly you say things that are farfetched but on this one you are just plain wrong
Gold: 6,001.00
Aug 14 2018 01:25pm
Quote (Sixers @ Aug 14 2018 08:10am)
Lmao Shaq played in an era where big men stuck to the paint and generally couldn't shoot. While that worked then, that would never work now. You really want another ass whooping in this argument yet again?

Also, I've already explained why Embiid is a better fit for today's NBA. You have yet to even argue it with any valid points. While Shaq would still eat in the low post on offense (and brick every free throw in the process), Shaq would be a MASSIVE defensive liability in today's space and pace game, and he would never be able to defend today's guards much like he failed to do in the pick & roll game during his era even when guys played a slower pace game back then. He was not a great defender back then, he would be even worse now.

Today's NBA requires big men to do more than ever. Being big and physical as a low post score and a rim protector isn't enough to be great in today's game. This NBA demands a big man that can face up, space the floor, defend multiple positions, defend the pick and roll, and overall have a more versatile skillset than Shaq had. Today's NBA is faster, more athletic and has 7 footers playing like guards. That simply didn't exist back then.

So yes, it's not crazy to say Embiid is a better fit for today's NBA. Considering Embiid is the ideal center for the modern NBA...

imo orlando shaq wouldve been able to adapt to all the things you said. lakers/heat shaq played the way he shouldve as the current times went. have u seen orlando shaq??
Aug 14 2018 01:59pm
Quote (VivaciousBamby @ Aug 14 2018 03:25pm)
also getting the other team in FT trouble is an extremely valuable quality to have

typicly you say things that are farfetched but on this one you are just plain wrong

That's good to know, considering Embiid is as good as anyone in the NBA at drawing fouls....I would say he's the James Harden of big men, but he's really the Embiid of guards rofl.

2016-2017 season Embiid drew 10 fouls per 36 minutes, which is insane. The next closest was Cousins at 8.6

2017-2018 season Embiid drew 7.7 fouls per 36 minutes, which only one player (Cousins at 7.8 fouls per game) was better.

In the 2017-2018 playoffs Embiid drew more fouls per 36 (7.0) than LeBron did (6.9). Only Anthony Davis and Aldridge drew more and they just barely edged him out at 7.3 and 7.1

Sooo yeah, you're right. Drawing fouls and being unguardable 1 on 1 is pretty cool.

Quote (oRAnGeInAbOx @ Aug 14 2018 03:25pm)
imo orlando shaq wouldve been able to adapt to all the things you said. lakers/heat shaq played the way he shouldve as the current times went. have u seen orlando shaq??

I did see Orlando Shaq, and he was still a bad P&R defender who couldn't defend outside of the paint and got into foul trouble all the fucking time....even though he was really agile for a guy of his size at that stage and was simply a freak of nature physically, he was still not a great defender like Embiid is already....

There's a reason it took Shaq 7 years in the NBA to finally be selected to an All-Defense team, and he was never even remotely in the DPOY discussion (like Embiid has already been in his first two seasons). As agile and athletic as Orlando Shaq was, he still was known for getting lazy and taking plays off on defense because he cared so much about getting the ball on the low block on the offensive end. While he had physical qualities to be a better defender than he was, he didn't put anywhere near the amount of effort that Embiid puts in on defense, that's a fact.

I mean I love Shaq, huge fan of him, but the guys bread and butter was dominating the LOW POST and the LOW POST only.

This post was edited by Sixers on Aug 14 2018 02:01pm
Go Back To Basketball Topic List
Prev1789101112Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll