d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Myth Of Obesity Caused By Genetics Destroyed > Trigger Warning
Prev1101112131416Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Sep 21 2017 04:43pm
Quote (harumi @ 21 Sep 2017 23:15)
Yeah I know, but I think communicating with specific terminology is important when discussing science. Most of the 11 pages could have been avoided if people used the correct definition of the word Genetic when talking to each other.

I'm a believer that if you include every biological anomaly, medication, disease that make it exceptionally hard for people to lose weight, you'd get under 1% of the cases of obesity.

Typical Duff topic, wrapped up well. I think the percentage is higher though, more like 5-10%, and apart from that, we need to take into account that our society has moved towards being way more inactive with a surplus of food. Keeping the environment into account, it's difficult to avoid the typical fast food at any time nowadays. Nearly all of us are somewhat formed by the advertisements we see. It's hard to have a choice when it's Mc donalds or burger king, pepsi or coca cola. I'm happy to see changes though, Coca cola has a low sugar shift here in Holland. Social "evolution" is demanding lower sugar products. It's a start for improvement, I've yet to see spongebob squirepants on water in supermarkets, as the advertised beverage for children ;)

This post was edited by Knaapie on Sep 21 2017 05:07pm
Gold: 4,786.00
Sep 21 2017 05:30pm
then it all boils down to the typical argument about personal responsibility, which often underlayingly separates the left from the right in any type of debate.
it would be hard to find an exact %, but I'm happy that you agree that the majority of people can lose weight if they want to.

i don't really wanna discuss this any further, at this point it's just semantics.
Sep 21 2017 05:34pm
Quote (harumi @ 22 Sep 2017 00:30)
then it all boils down to the typical argument about personal responsibility, which often underlayingly separates the left from the right in any type of debate.
it would be hard to find an exact %, but I'm happy that you agree that the majority of people can lose weight if they want to.

i don't really wanna discuss this any further, at this point it's just semantics.

Alright, I'll let you go, saying the seen shift comes from the left ;)

This post was edited by Knaapie on Sep 21 2017 05:37pm
Gold: 110.00
Sep 21 2017 05:34pm
The worst part about this is America they actually premote obesity with things like "Big is beautiful"

Its disgusting
Gold: 2,617.52
Sep 21 2017 05:50pm
Quote (TriWinning @ Sep 21 2017 07:34pm)
The worst part about this is America they actually premote obesity with things like "Big is beautiful"

Its disgusting

Gold: 9,276.00
Sep 21 2017 06:02pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Sep 21 2017 04:50pm)

Don't mind a girl that's fat in all the right areas ;)
Gold: 152.00
Sep 21 2017 06:06pm
Quote (dark-soul @ Sep 21 2017 04:04pm)
Energy balance isn't pseudoscience it's how people lose/gain weight. People think obesity is mainly genetic because obesity tends to run in families but that's simply because over eating is often a learned behavior. The parents overeat and tend to overfeed their children so the children get used to large portion sizes. That combined with people are more sedentary now than they used to be leads to weight gain and eventually obesity. Technically it's an easy fix for most people to lose the weight but a lack of education on nutrition makes it difficult. When you ask people for a 24 hour recall with what they ate you'd be surprised at the amount of calories it adds up to.

But "calories in/calories out" is an oversimplification. Different people do not extract equal amounts of energy from food. They do not excrete equal amounts as waste. They do not burn energy at an equal rate in resting state. They do not achieve the feeling of "fullness" at equal levels of food consumption. There are so many variables.

It also ignores the genetic-based mental conditions that produce overeating and food addiction. Nobody blames sufferers of Tourette syndrome for their motor tics, but they blame people genetically predisposed to overeating for doing so. It's just an irrational perspective (and yes they are analogous, Tourette syndrome typically produces voluntary tics).

We have already isolated many of the gene expressions that overwhelmingly correlate with excess eating and obesity, so we know, as a confirmed fact, that obesity frequently or even usually has a genetic component.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Sep 21 2017 06:07pm
Gold: 110.00
Sep 21 2017 06:20pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Sep 21 2017 08:06pm)
But "calories in/calories out" is an oversimplification. Different people do not extract equal amounts of energy from food. They do not excrete equal amounts as waste. They do not burn energy at an equal rate in resting state. They do not achieve the feeling of "fullness" at equal levels of food consumption. There are so many variables.

It also ignores the genetic-based mental conditions that produce overeating and food addiction. Nobody blames sufferers of Tourette syndrome for their motor tics, but they blame people genetically predisposed to overeating for doing so. It's just an irrational perspective (and yes they are analogous, Tourette syndrome typically produces voluntary tics).

We have already isolated many of the gene expressions that overwhelmingly correlate with excess eating and obesity, so we know, as a confirmed fact, that obesity frequently or even usually has a genetic component.

Because there parents teach them it. Always feeding them trash food.
Sep 21 2017 06:27pm
Can we play good post/bad post ?

good post:

Quote (Voyaging @ 22 Sep 2017 01:06)

Bad post:

Quote (TriWinning @ 22 Sep 2017 00:34)

Quote (EndlessSky @ 22 Sep 2017 00:50)

Quote (ofthevoid @ 22 Sep 2017 01:02)

Quote (TriWinning @ 22 Sep 2017 01:20)

You guys are doing what you do best, avoid the discussion. :P
Gold: 2,617.52
Sep 21 2017 06:39pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 21 2017 08:02pm)
Don't mind a girl that's fat in all the right areas ;)

To each their own. Most of my dates have a cups.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1101112131416Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll