d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > College Degree Or Experience? > Who Would You Rather Hire?
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,296.69
Jun 17 2017 09:27pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 10:45am)

Bad test taker = someone who isn't willing to put in the effort to study without checking their phone/pc every 2 seconds for hours on end until the information you're studying sinks in. Plain and simple. The stressful environment is semi-fair, but I remember I used to be horrible at public speaking. I was so afraid I'd be teased or I'd stutter or say "like or um" too many times, etc. So I learned to be 110% prepared so that I could confidently say the words just as easily as I could sing every word to my favorite song on the radio because I'd listened so many times. When it's second nature, it becomes much easier. That's all test taking is. Practice and study over and over and over and over until you have it so engrained that it sticks and you don't freeze from the stress.

Lol

Bombed just about every written test I've ever taken

lock me in a room with nothing but a toothpick and a rubberband and your chick will be pregnant with my baby and we will sail away on the yacht I built in the room

I've yet to meet a hands on or critical or creative thinking task I didn't do great at and could fail all the written pertaining to those tasks

for a sniper and legal wtfeveryouare you sure miss the fuck outta the target all the time
Gold: 5,169.82
Jun 18 2017 03:29am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 07:45pm)
That's so difficult without knowing the industry. Assuming I'm hiring someone who has 4 years of experience in the field instead of a 4 year degree, I'd take the degree, absolutely, regardless of what it's in. If you're asking me if I'd take a 40 year old over a 22 year old grad, that's a toss up.

People without degrees (and some with) don't understand why it's valued. Likely, you forget 80% of what you learned in college, at least. The reason it's valuable is that it shows you were able to commit to something pretty difficult with your time, effort, and money for at least 4 years consistently, and finish. Anyone can go work, not everyone can consistently continue to do well enough to keep grades up and get a degree over and over for years til completion. That is why I value it so much, and that's why the vast majority of employers for skilled work value it.

Bad test taker = someone who isn't willing to put in the effort to study without checking their phone/pc every 2 seconds for hours on end until the information you're studying sinks in. Plain and simple. The stressful environment is semi-fair, but I remember I used to be horrible at public speaking. I was so afraid I'd be teased or I'd stutter or say "like or um" too many times, etc. So I learned to be 110% prepared so that I could confidently say the words just as easily as I could sing every word to my favorite song on the radio because I'd listened so many times. When it's second nature, it becomes much easier. That's all test taking is. Practice and study over and over and over and over until you have it so engrained that it sticks and you don't freeze from the stress.

LOL. And there he goes again. Whoever is bad at something in life is simply too lazy. Always the same nonsense.

AspenSniper, why are you too lazy to grow any self awareness?

Quote (Greet @ Jun 18 2017 02:48am)
Not true. Every company has a different x years of experience = x degree. A lot of them are 7-10 years for a bachelors

I see. That's definitely different from how things work over here then.

This post was edited by Leevee on Jun 18 2017 03:36am
Gold: 1.93
Jun 18 2017 03:42am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 18 2017 02:00pm)
Oh my god I didn't mean people with actual mental disorders. Relax booster seat

Are you calling me booster seat because i have a mental disorder?
Classy.
Jun 18 2017 03:52am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 18 2017 11:42am)
Are you calling me booster seat because i have a mental disorder?
Classy.

You're just too lazy to not be a booster seat.
Gold: 259.00
Jun 18 2017 03:56am
Be your own boss

Sincerly

Your President
Gold: 1,532.01
Jun 18 2017 05:14am
Top 10% of graduates > experience > rest of graduates

People with experience don't really have anything going for them, except for having the experience. Doesn't necessarily say much about their character, drive, ambition etc. Whereas a graduate with a first class honours degree is obviously capable and will, in all probability, end up more capable than the non-graduate following a year or two in industry. Seems like a much better investment.

Not much excuse to not get a top grade in university (imo; except for illnesses etc.) so I'd be much less likely to hire someone with a 2:2 or a third.
Gold: 285.00
Jun 18 2017 05:22am
It's illegal to do my job without my degree. I think a BSN RN can do some parts of it like the discharge planning pieces nurses cannot assess and diagnose from the DSM. Nurse practitioners can.
Gold: 260.11
Jun 18 2017 05:49am
Quote (GetOnYourKnees @ Jun 18 2017 05:14am)

People with experience don't really have anything going for them, except for having the experience. Doesn't necessarily say much about their character, drive, ambition etc. Whereas a graduate with a first class honours degree is obviously capable and will, in all probability, end up more capable than the non-graduate following a year or two in industry. Seems like a much better investment.

Not much excuse to not get a top grade in university (imo; except for illnesses etc.) so I'd be much less likely to hire someone with a 2:2 or a third.

There's more reason, like having obligations outside of school. However if you don't have that I agree. If you're just studying and don't have a 3.5+ there's something wrong.
Jun 18 2017 06:37am
Quote (GetOnYourKnees @ Jun 18 2017 01:14pm)

I don't really agree with this. Experience isn't just quantified in number of years. Interviewers actually ask about what type of experience, what company you're working for, etc.

I'm currently working for a company that has pretty good street cred, and I'm largely doing this to give my career a boost. After 5 years here, I'll be able to get jobs (and wages) that I wouldn't have been able to get with 5 years of experience at a different company.
Gold: 1,532.01
Jun 18 2017 09:58am
Quote (Leevee @ Jun 18 2017 01:37pm)
I don't really agree with this. Experience isn't just quantified in number of years. Interviewers actually ask about what type of experience, what company you're working for, etc.

I'm currently working for a company that has pretty good street cred, and I'm largely doing this to give my career a boost. After 5 years here, I'll be able to get jobs (and wages) that I wouldn't have been able to get with 5 years of experience at a different company.

Sure, experience in a particular industry would make up for a lack of education in that industry which would normally be attained through an undergraduate/postgraduate degree. I was simply saying that, from my point of view, the person who has undergone the educational route has proven themselves to have all the qualities inferred by doing so. The person who has taken the e.g. apprenticeship route may or may not have the same qualities, but hasn't proven them to the same extent - he/she could simply have gotten lucky with landing the placement and followed their supervisor's instructions for several years, picking things up as they go along.

I guess it all comes down to what sort of job it is. Something dangerous like maintenance at a nuclear power station would obviously favour those with extensive experience, but for most others I would say the potential to develop people who have already proven that they have intelligence, ambition, drive, persistence etc. would be much more attractive.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll