d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > College Degree Or Experience? > Who Would You Rather Hire?
Prev1678
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Jun 19 2017 09:02am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 19 2017 09:08am)
We agree on most of what you said actually. I think college really is just high school 2.0. The first two years are literally a repeat of high school unless you're in a specific 4 year program that doesn't require repeats of 2 history classes, 2 English classes, math, bio/phys/chem, etc., before getting to the classes for your major.

I think the biggest point you made is that the standards for American society are far too low. It's a society where because a small percentage of people struggle, we have to wait for them to catch up before moving forward. This whole thread proves it. I get called a "lazy hater" all the time here because I think as a whole, we're capable of a lot more, but it comes across as me saying EVERYONE is capable of a lot more (which I still don't see a huge problem with). Apparently, expecting a student to get an A on a test is just unreasonable and for many students, impossible, according to many in this thread. It's a problem that people think that way. As a mentor for many years now in colleges, I've seen these "bad test taker" students, students who came from really awful family situations, and other troubles go from being "C" students at best, hopefully on course to graduate if fortunate, to getting their GPAs above a 3.0. Most of these students rely on excuses and professors that allow their excuses. Their peers don't help either and tell them it's not their fault. When I work with these students I sometimes use tough love, but mainly it's just about building their confidence and forcing them to answer for why their excuses are acceptable. When they run out of excuses, we can laugh a little about it and then get them focused on why they're just as capable as anyone to graduating cum laude, which is what I tell every student I mentor. I've had very few students come work with me that didn't get their GPA up by a letter grade or more. The other students who are already 3.0 GPA or higher that come to me typically seek advice on career opportunity and guidance. You wouldn't believe how many people are brainwashed into thinking the job market is extremely difficult. So many students give up before they even begin. It's sad, but moreso, it's a problem.

Yeah but those first two years are crucial IMO. People who go to schools who skip those tend to be functionally illiterate in the field down the road. Reading the things they write is really exhausting.

Going through all that means that you can commit to something and that for whatever reason, brain or work ethics (or both) you have the capability of doing all that. Those four years are all about learning how systems work broadly and to give you a liberal arts education so you can be a functional human being in free society. It is about capability. When you hire a college graduate you know that person has had to put together high quality work, had to stay awake all night working many nights to be successful, and isn't functionally illiterate. Systems and capability.

Then you go to grad school and get the specialized knowledge. You waste no time on hubris then, it is all focused. But you're going to have a hard time taking it all in and keeping in stored if you haven't been able to juggle classes like you have been for four years. By the end of grad school you're taking 20 credit hours at a time.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jun 19 2017 09:05am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 19 2017 09:41am
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 19 2017 10:02am)
Yeah but those first two years are crucial IMO. People who go to schools who skip those tend to be functionally illiterate in the field down the road. Reading the things they write is really exhausting.

Going through all that means that you can commit to something and that for whatever reason, brain or work ethics (or both) you have the capability of doing all that. Those four years are all about learning how systems work broadly and to give you a liberal arts education so you can be a functional human being in free society. It is about capability. When you hire a college graduate you know that person has had to put together high quality work, had to stay awake all night working many nights to be successful, and isn't functionally illiterate. Systems and capability.

Then you go to grad school and get the specialized knowledge. You waste no time on hubris then, it is all focused. But you're going to have a hard time taking it all in and keeping in stored if you haven't been able to juggle classes like you have been for four years. By the end of grad school you're taking 20 credit hours at a time.

I literally agree with everything you said.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1678
Add Reply New Topic New Poll