d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Should You Be Able To Forcefully Remove Squatters?
Prev1345678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 4,786.00
Apr 12 2017 07:50pm
:rofl:
Gold: 0.00
Apr 12 2017 07:52pm
If United can do it homeowners should be able too
Gold: 4,383.11
Apr 13 2017 04:37am
Quote (duffman316 @ 13 Apr 2017 02:00)
relevant story

>soldier gets deployed to afghanistan for two years
>squatters take over his house
>soldier returns and wants squatters removed
>squatting parasites refuse
>police declare it a civil matter
>pain in the ass legal process follows
>veteran agency working for free to have the squatters removed with minimal damage to the house

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/oddnews/soldier-in-battle-to-rid-home-of-squatters--florida-sheriff%E2%80%99s-office-says-it-can%E2%80%99t-do-anything-210607842.html

what's funny is that the law makes it permissible to break into a house and steal someone's property but if you try to take electricity or water without paying for it there will be hell to pay

what the fuck....
thats a case where using your gun would be justifiable
much more than the guy in the opening post

Quote (Saucisson6000 @ 13 Apr 2017 02:12)
Oh shit i though by squatters you meant junkies-like living in abandoned buildings.
My bad, american squatters seems... special ! Because they are all like this isnt it ?

indeed, taking over abandoned buildings is one thing, but this is unbelievable
Gold: 2,570.91
Apr 13 2017 05:44am
You should be able to forcibly remove squatters (you should have the right to protect your private property), but you shouldn't be able to shoot someone that is unarmed or not posing a serious threat to you or anyone else. In those cases, where you have a "peaceful" squatter, it should be the police taking care of it... but they should do it fast and by whatever means are necessary, not wait months for paperwork to get sorted out.

If squatters become an issue in a country, the government should try to accommodate homeless people in state-owned apartments or shelters, while also throwing extra taxes on people who own housings that have been empty for over 6 months or so, to encourage them to rent it. But in no case should they delay or slow down their actions to stop squatters from taking over other people's homes. The right to private property has to be protected.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 13 2017 06:33am
The answer is yes, but what municipalities should do is take vacant homes, buy them, and convert them into homeless shelters. I've always wondered why they don't do this. It'd be much more affordable than the homeless assistance currently.

Quote (zarkadon @ Apr 13 2017 06:44am)
You should be able to forcibly remove squatters (you should have the right to protect your private property), but you shouldn't be able to shoot someone that is unarmed or not posing a serious threat to you or anyone else. In those cases, where you have a "peaceful" squatter, it should be the police taking care of it... but they should do it fast and by whatever means are necessary, not wait months for paperwork to get sorted out.

If squatters become an issue in a country, the government should try to accommodate homeless people in state-owned apartments or shelters, while also throwing extra taxes on people who own housings that have been empty for over 6 months or so, to encourage them to rent it. But in no case should they delay or slow down their actions to stop squatters from taking over other people's homes. The right to private property has to be protected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katko_v._Briney

Dropping law bombs on you. The Katko v Briney case was similar. Some guys went into Briney's vacant house, but to prevent trespassers/squatters, Briney had rigged up a gun to fire when someone opened one of the bedroom doors. Well, the dipshit criminal, Katko, walked in and got his legs blown off. The ruling in the case was, had Briney just been chillin at the front door with a shotgun, he could've shot him square in the face, but because it wasn't in his control, he was criminally liable. Tough case because obviously Katko shouldn't have walked in. This is just a case precedent for these situations.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 13 2017 06:48am
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 13 2017 06:48am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 12 2017 06:03pm)
People without homes should be able to move into all the empty houses.

Capitalism is irrational.

Filling empty houses with drug addicts and the mentally ill isn't a real solution to homelessness.
Gold: 2,570.91
Apr 13 2017 07:07am
Quote (AspenSniper @ 13 Apr 2017 14:33)
The answer is yes, but what municipalities should do is take vacant homes, buy them, and convert them into homeless shelters. I've always wondered why they don't do this. It'd be much more affordable than the homeless assistance currently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katko_v._Briney

Dropping law bombs on you. The Katko v Briney case was similar. Some guys went into Briney's vacant house, but to prevent trespassers/squatters, Briney had rigged up a gun to fire when someone opened one of the bedroom doors. Well, the dipshit criminal, Katko, walked in and got his legs blown off. The ruling in the case was, had Briney just been chillin at the front door with a shotgun, he could've shot him square in the face, but because it wasn't in his control, he was criminally liable. Tough case because obviously Katko shouldn't have walked in. This is just a case precedent for these situations.

But you can't just set potentially deadly traps in your house. What if a fire breaks out for whatever reason and firemen have to enter?

Not to mention that a "No trespassing" sign isn't the same as a "Danger, automatic firing devices will shoot trespassers" sign... like when there's an electrified fence, there's always a sign that warns of the threat, rather than just a "no trespassing" sign.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 13 2017 07:09am
Quote (zarkadon @ Apr 13 2017 08:07am)
But you can't just set potentially deadly traps in your house. What if a fire breaks out for whatever reason and firemen have to enter?

Not to mention that a "No trespassing" sign isn't the same as a "Danger, automatic firing devices will shoot trespassers" sign... like when there's an electrified fence, there's always a sign that warns of the threat, rather than just a "no trespassing" sign.

Well yeah of course, that's why the court found against Briney.

Quote (IceMage @ Apr 13 2017 07:48am)
Filling empty houses with drug addicts and the mentally ill isn't a real solution to homelessness.

I'm torn. I think the government should buy them and staff them. Typically I'm anti-big government, but when it makes sense they should. I also think the government or the WHO should buy the rights to the drug Harvoni as a means of public health. It'd make it much cheaper to cure hep c.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 13 2017 07:11am
Gold: 119,903.34
Apr 13 2017 07:21am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 13 2017 08:09am)
Well yeah of course, that's why the court found against Briney.

I'm torn. I think the government should buy them and staff them. Typically I'm anti-big government, but when it makes sense they should. I also think the government or the WHO should buy the rights to the drug Harvoni as a means of public health. It'd make it much cheaper to cure hep c.

I"m of the opinion that certain industries don't work under the profit/market model.

Like the luxuries or most personal technology devices are fine under profit model. Auto industry is fine under profit model. And things similar.

But things like healthcare , education , energy industry , and Internet service would fare better if the government were to nationalize them. The internet part pisses me off already anyways because the internet companies have been given hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidies over the past 25 years and yet our infrastructure for our internet is shit. So we get to pay out the ass for shit internet and get even more fucked that the majority of the infrastructure of the internet is publicly funded yet they are allowed to fuck people over all in the name of profit. At least when pharmaceutical companies overcharge and skyrocket up prices they can at least stand on the claim that they had to either buy the rights or put up the money for RnD.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Apr 13 2017 07:23am
Gold: 500.00
Apr 13 2017 07:42am
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023513/Councils-squatters-break-in.html

Town halls are referring would-be squatters to a far-Left group selling a £2 DIY guide on how to break into and occupy empty homes.
The squatters' handbook advises them to force entry through back entrances or open windows, carry a crowbar and claim they are 'clearing the drains' if stopped.
The guide, from the Advisory Service for Squatters, describes how to take apart locks and fit new ones.
It also recommends putting a legal warning on the door stating it is a criminal offence to try to remove squatters by force.

looks like back in 2008 government officials in the uk were actually advising parasites on how to break and enter other peoples property, this shit is sickening :mellow:

why the fuck does the law always take the side of the criminals over good decent folks?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1345678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll