d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Should You Be Able To Forcefully Remove Squatters?
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 40.64
Apr 13 2017 07:47am
In the US, you can remove trespassers (squatters) from your property by arresting them. You may use the threat of deadly force if necessary.

I think this applies in every state in the US (correct me if I'm wrong). I know for a fact it is legal in Oregon. A woman here arrested a city public works employee at gun point for trespassing. He had repeatedly crossed the property even though signs were posted and the property owner repeatedly told him he was trespassing and must leave. He refused. So she pulled a gun on him and arrested him. It called a citizen's arrest. And it was 100% legal. The city changed their policy after this incidence, lol.

This post was edited by NatureNames on Apr 13 2017 08:05am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 13 2017 07:52am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Apr 13 2017 08:21am)
I"m of the opinion that certain industries don't work under the profit/market model.

Like the luxuries or most personal technology devices are fine under profit model. Auto industry is fine under profit model. And things similar.

But things like healthcare , education , energy industry , and Internet service would fare better if the government were to nationalize them. The internet part pisses me off already anyways because the internet companies have been given hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidies over the past 25 years and yet our infrastructure for our internet is shit. So we get to pay out the ass for shit internet and get even more fucked that the majority of the infrastructure of the internet is publicly funded yet they are allowed to fuck people over all in the name of profit. At least when pharmaceutical companies overcharge and skyrocket up prices they can at least stand on the claim that they had to either buy the rights or put up the money for RnD.

It's such a hard spot for me. I've been in government sales for a long time and it's bizarre how many regulations there are that delays process and some of the RFP/RFQ processes are really costly. For example, I was set to renew the US Navy on a software sale worth $2.2 million. Renewing their existing software is only a 20% annual fee of the new license cost. They had to renew by 9/30 (federal fiscal year) but they fucked up because of red tape/budgets and didn't get their order in by the deadline. So in October I was still trying to close the renewal sale, but it's illegal for the government to spend a current year's budget on a prior year's budgeted item. So instead of bending the rules and spending $2.2m to renew, they paid over $10 million to buy all brand new software licenses identical to what they already had. Then they spent a few million more to set it up. A huge waste of money because of stupid government bullshit. This happens all the time.

I see your point obviously. If the government would just stroke a $10-20 billion check to build solar fields in Arizona/New Mexico we could power the entire USA for pennies, but because of private companies/lobbyists/special interests, they don't want to bankrupt the utility companies/gas/coal companies. Fucking stupid.
Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 13 2017 08:03am
looks like back in 2008 government officials in the uk were actually advising parasites on how to break and enter other peoples property, this shit is sickening :mellow:

why the fuck does the law always take the side of the criminals over good decent folks?

Armed Self defense and protecting your property are evil in essentially uncontested leftist EU countries.

Related
Gold: 500.00
Apr 13 2017 08:06am
Quote (NatureNames @ Apr 13 2017 08:47am)
In the US, you can remove trespassers (squatters) from your property by arresting them. You may use the threat of deadly force if necessary.

I think this applies in every state in the US (correct me if I'm wrong). I know for a fact it is legal in Oregon. A woman here arrested a city public works employee at gun point for trespassing because he repeatedly crossed the property even though signs were posted and the property owner repeatedly told him he was trespassing and must leave. He refused. So she pulled a gun on him and arrested him. It called a citizen's arrest. And it was 100% legal. The city changed their policy after this incidence, lol.

california case here that's so bad that the left leaning mother jones is reporting on it
a political science professor moves in temporarily via airbnb then refuses to leave taking over the home
the real crime here is that it it's illegal to pump these parasites full of lead

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/12/berkeley-sarah-lawrence-professor-house-rental-saga

A day after Abel cut her sabbatical short and flew home to confront Peritz in person, she sent him an email to confirm that she wanted him out so she could move back in on May 1.

Peritz responded several days later. He wrote that he wasn't "presently in a position to vacate the premises." He also told her he'd been in touch with an attorney, and said if Abel tried to evict him, they'd end up in court, which "could be expensive, time consuming and draining for both of us."

Peritz also blamed Abel for his inability to find a new place to stay, claiming that she had "submitted a false feedback report" on SabbaticalHomes.com. The lawyer, he said, had called it a "textbook case of libel." "I realize that your intentions in making that report were good," Peritz wrote, "but it remains the case that what you reported was false and that we have been damaged by it." He said if she was willing to negotiate or arbitrate a settlement, he was "amenable to releasing you from all potential liability that could result from your false report."

Abel was stunned. Not only had a tenured professor who lists "social contract theory" among his research interests exploited her trust, but now he was digging in and dragging things out. How much time, effort, and money would it take to get back into the home where she'd raised her son, written a couple of books, and lived for the better part of her adult life?
Gold: 3,375.01
Apr 13 2017 02:42pm
why not just remove them by force anyway? I'm sure the charges would get dropped or you wouldnt do jail time anyway
Gold: 2.70
Apr 13 2017 02:45pm
yes
Gold: 0.00
Apr 13 2017 03:20pm
Quote (duffman316 @ 13 Apr 2017 13:42)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023513/Councils-squatters-break-in.html

looks like back in 2008 government officials in the uk were actually advising parasites on how to break and enter other peoples property, this shit is sickening :mellow:

why the fuck does the law always take the side of the criminals over good decent folks?

The Daily Mail is about as reliable as Fox News. Maybe a little worse sometimes. It's a gossip mag posing as a newspaper.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 13 2017 05:43pm
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 13 2017 04:20pm)
The Daily Mail is about as reliable as Fox News. Maybe a little worse sometimes. It's a gossip mag posing as a newspaper.

90% of the articles that Duff post from is from there...it is pretty much all he reads :D
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Apr 13 2017 05:58pm
Quote (dirTyMan @ Apr 13 2017 05:12pm)
why not just remove them by force anyway? I'm sure the charges would get dropped or you wouldnt do jail time anyway

Why not just lock up criminals instead?
Gold: 285.00
Apr 13 2017 07:16pm
Quote (Tuna_BeIIy @ Apr 13 2017 06:58pm)
Why not just lock up criminals instead?

It is true that homelessness is getting more and more criminalized. Mental illness as well. That is how the small government solutions to those problems worked out.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll