d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Britain Takes A Step In The Right Direction > Religious Propaganda Banned In Schools
Prev13456724Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Sep 4 2014 04:51pm
Quote (Master_Zappy @ Sep 4 2014 06:44pm)
Its not even that, they only want the christian myth taught in school. While I believe only science should be taught in science class, I'm fine with having a bible and mythology class separate and learning about other dogmas and the bible as literature.

If you give the fundies their creationism, they'd still flip their lid if you were teaching another cultures creation myths. Call a spade a spade, they want to proselytize Christianity. 

P’an Ku,and the cosmic egg story from china.

Yanomamo Sanema’s Moonblood : One story has Peribo, the Moon, eating the souls of children. This angered Suharina, who shot Peribo in the belly with an arrow. His blood spilled to the earth, forming puddles from which mortal men arose. The most belligerent human beings were created where large amounts of blood fell, and where only a few drops fell, less violent men were born.

Brahma (the Creator), Vishnu (the Preserver), and Shiva (the Destroyer)

The Navajo’s Four Worlds

Scandinavia’s Fire Demons And Frost Giants

Izanagi and Izanami from Japan

The Aborigines’ Rainbow Serpent

Egypt’s Divine Semen

and several more :
http://listverse.com/2014/01/11/10-creation-myths-as-strange-as-the-bible/

wtf there are other creation myths too? - I guess God was lying to them.

Nice Guy.
Gold: 17,384.69
Sep 4 2014 04:56pm
Btw those christians extremists are retarded; youtube is full of videos exposing the Coran/Islam in scientific documentaries 'the miracle of Islam' or something like this is the name of this serie;

So in those videos they expose Universes big bang, stars & planets formations, species's evolution... etc... The only difference vs a normal documentary is:

- listing/extrapolate some coran verset related to the subject every 5 minutes.
- and saying "look all this, allah is great!" every 3 min (lol)

Those guys are smart at least, they arent denying things like dumbasses. This definitely proove how advanced they are in promoting their religion, and why Islam is btw n°1 now...

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Sep 4 2014 04:57pm
Gold: 14.88
Sep 4 2014 05:14pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Sep 4 2014 02:36pm)
I think the opposite is true.

Creationist are total nut jobs and don't understand that evolution can not only be proven,

Its actually affecting every living thing - including plants and genes and viruses ,

so its not just whether we were made from mud or evolved from fish

because that truth doesn't matter one bit.

People need to learn to see with their eyes and not with their mind , which sounds like common

sense but its much more difficult than you would think.

It is merely your own need to fuel your feelings of superiority that leads you to this conclusion.

What's even more surprising? Get ready for this. People can believe in creationism and evolution at the same time, the concepts don't dismiss each other. It's really a matter of origin. Most people would agree that natural selection is occurring in nature, even creationists.
Gold: 152.00
Sep 4 2014 05:15pm
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Sep 4 2014 06:25pm)
I never understood why people want creationism to be taught in science class when it isn't a scientific belief.

They believe it is a scientific belief. That's the problem.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 5 2014 04:23am
Quote (PlasmaSnake101 @ 4 Sep 2014 21:23)
That doesn't have to do with creationism. That has to do with ideas concerning abortion.

I know it's very difficult to try and separate motives for political actors who you have no interest in learning about. Non-creationists can oppose stem cell research and creationists can go ahead an support it. They are only incidentally related.

The ideas concerning abortion arise from the religious belief that life begins at conception. Were we to listen only to the scientific evidence we would find that what is used for stem-cell research has absolutely no noticeably human features whatsoever. It is a small cluster of cells, none of which are nerve cells, and is no more than a cyst.

Quote (bogie160 @ 4 Sep 2014 22:48)
Science is just another ideological frame. It is not inherently more or less superior to other modes of existence.

The scientific method is inherently more superior to most other ways of explaining the world around us because it is testable. It's results can be reproduced on request. Tell me how theological explanations of any kind are equal to the scientific method.

Quote (Voyaging @ 4 Sep 2014 23:15)
They believe it is a scientific belief. That's the problem.

Only because they don't actually know what 'scientific belief' means.

This post was edited by Vivienne on Sep 5 2014 04:24am
Gold: 633.87
Sep 5 2014 08:43pm
Quote (Vivienne @ Sep 5 2014 05:23am)

The scientific method is inherently more superior to most other ways of explaining the world around us because it is testable. It's results can be reproduced on request. Tell me how theological explanations of any kind are equal to the

Inherently? It's only good if you value it, or insofar as it gets you things you do value.

Humanity prospered without the modern scientific method, so this isn't even about biological survival (not that its any more meaningful).
Gold: 11,700.00
Sep 5 2014 08:51pm
Quote (bogie160 @ 6 Sep 2014 02:43)
Inherently? It's only good if you value it, or insofar as it gets you things you do value.
Humanity prospered without the modern scientific method, so this isn't even about biological survival (not that its any more meaningful).

you understand that without the scientific method most of the things which in your opinion make the usa such a great nation
wouldn't have been detected or invented?
Gold: 285.00
Sep 5 2014 08:54pm
Quote (brmv @ Sep 5 2014 09:51pm)
you understand that without the scientific method most of the things which in your opinion make the usa such a great nation
wouldn't have been detected or invented?

Free pursuit of happiness was invented by science?
Gold: 285.00
Sep 5 2014 10:24pm
And here are trees and I know their gnarled surface, water and I feel its taste. These scents of grass and stars at night, certain evenings when the heart relaxes‑how shall I negate this world whose power and strength I feel? yet all the knowledge on earth will give me nothing to assure me that me that this world is mine. You describe it to me and you teach me to classify it. You enumerate its laws and in my thirst for knowledge I admit that they are true. You take apart its mechanism and my hope increases . . . .  But you tell me of an invisible planetary system in which the planets gravitate around a nucleus. You explain this world to me with an image. I realize then that you have been reduced to poetry: I shall never know . . . .  That science that was to teach me everything ends up in hypothesis, that lucidity founders in a metaphor, that uncertainty is resolved in a work of art. What need had I of so many efforts? The soft line of these hills and the hand of evening on this troubled heart teach me much more . . . . I realize that if through science I can seize phenomena and enumerate them, I cannot, for all that, apprehend the world.

Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus
Gold: 152.00
Sep 5 2014 10:44pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Sep 5 2014 10:43pm)

We must have very different ideas of what entails prosperity. About 99% of modern human prosperity is directly a result of scientific and technological progress.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456724Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll