d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Britain Takes A Step In The Right Direction > Religious Propaganda Banned In Schools
12324Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Sep 4 2014 09:49am
http://rt.com/uk/167044-uk-bans-teaching-creationism/

Can't believe I missed this two months ago...

Only a couple of months before this happened I was talking about how ridiculous it is that our free schools can teach this bullshit to children as if it were fact.

In future, its teaching will be confined to religious education classes, as long as it is not presented as a valid alternative to established scientific theory.

Thankyou.

When will America catch up to the times and stop allowing children to be mentally abused in their schools?
Gold: 17,384.69
Sep 4 2014 09:53am
Teaching creationism as an "alternative" of what we actually really got with fucking fossils was pretty much a crime against the Mind... lol
Gold: 1,895.00
Sep 4 2014 09:59am
Quote (Vivienne @ Sep 4 2014 10:49am)

Only a couple of months before this happened I was talking about how ridiculous it is that our free schools can teach this bullshit to children as if it were fact.

Thankyou.

When will America catch up to the times and stop allowing children to be mentally abused in their schools?

I like to think we're becoming more scientifically literate in American but that Gallup poll just 2 years ago showed that 46% of the country are creationists. Hopefully things change since we're falling behind in all the sciences in this country. Our only saving grace is that the h1-b visa has all the foreign born individuals keeping our scientific infrastructure afloat. Getting creationism out of science classes would be a good start.
Gold: 285.00
Sep 4 2014 10:00am
Where it is taught here:

Green is pubic, orange is private, red where it is the main curriculum.

This post was edited by Skinned on Sep 4 2014 10:03am
Gold: 171.76
Sep 4 2014 10:01am
Quote (Vivienne @ Sep 4 2014 11:49am)

Thankyou.

77 percent of the American population identified themselves as Christian in a study done
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159548/identify-christian.aspx

It might not be completely accurate but I imagine it's close ...

The uk is half to two thirds non religious depending on the study from the 5 to 6 I just went through .. More similar here to in Canada ...

The answer to your question is when people in America stop being religious ... Right now people who are god fearing and worshiping men don't mind that being taught in school because it aligns with their beliefs .

I agree with you , but there's no need for the rage about it .
It will change ... Over time ... You are talking about undoing thousands of years of mankinds understanding of the world .

Sep 4 2014 10:02am
Quote (dark-soul @ 4 Sep 2014 15:59)
I like to think we're becoming more scientifically literate in American but that Gallup poll just 2 years ago showed that 46% of the country are creationists. Hopefully things change since we're falling behind in all the sciences in this country. Our only saving grace is that the h1-b visa has all the foreign born individuals keeping our scientific infrastructure afloat. Getting creationism out of science classes would be a good start.

A scary quote from the linked article -

Last month, a Gallup poll revealed that the majority of Americans prefer to believe that humanity was created by the Almighty, or guided by God in its evolution. Only 19 percent believe humans evolved from a more primitive form of life without any help from a higher being.

19%

:(

Although honestly I thought it would be lower. Maybe they are headed in the right direction after all.

Quote (bitg_pj @ 4 Sep 2014 16:01)
77 percent of the American population identified themselves as Christian in a study done
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159548/identify-christian.aspx

It might not be completely accurate but I imagine it's close ...

The uk is half to two thirds non religious depending on the study from the 5 to 6 I just went through .. More similar here to in Canada ...

The answer to your question is when people in America stop being religious ... Right now people who are god fearing and worshiping men don't mind that being taught in school because it aligns with their beliefs .

I agree with you , but there's no need for the rage about it .
It will change ... Over time ... You are talking about undoing thousands of years of mankinds understanding of the world .

No rage. It's slightly frustrating that such a developed country is so backwards in so many ways... But other than that no mad.

This post was edited by Vivienne on Sep 4 2014 10:04am
Gold: 285.00
Sep 4 2014 10:03am
Quote (Vivienne @ Sep 4 2014 11:02am)
A scary quote from the linked article -

19%

:(

Although honestly I thought it would be lower. Maybe they are headed in the right direction after all.

It doesn't really matter that much. Helpful for private charity work.

Plus, we're free to believe what we want. It isn't like materialistic determinism or other monist philosophies don't have problems.

This post was edited by Skinned on Sep 4 2014 10:05am
Sep 4 2014 10:09am
Quote (Skinned @ 4 Sep 2014 16:03)
It doesn't really matter that much.  Helpful for private charity work.

Plus, we're free to believe what we want.  It isn't like materialistic determinism doesn't have problems.

You're going to have to explain to me exactly what you mean by 'materialistic' determinism.

And yes. You're free to believe what you want... if you're entirely isolated from the rest of humanity. It's when those beliefs start affecting others that there is a problem... and there is a problem with teaching children lies in school.
Gold: 282,635.50
Sep 4 2014 10:09am
"Last month, a Gallup poll revealed that the majority of Americans prefer to believe that humanity was created by the Almighty, or guided by God in its evolution. Only 19 percent believe humans evolved from a more primitive form of life without any help from a higher being."

Gold: 152.00
Sep 4 2014 10:11am
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 4 2014 12:00pm)
Green is pubic

oh
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12324Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll