d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Britain Takes A Step In The Right Direction > Religious Propaganda Banned In Schools
Prev15678924Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,152.00
Sep 6 2014 11:49am
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 6 2014 01:34pm)
Those are noble goals, but I think A Brave New World wasn't very appealing.  If you remove the suffering you remove the passion.  It would be the end of the humanities, because it would be the end of humans.

"If you remove the suffering you remove the passion"... this is something that people repeatedly argue with me when I outline my thoughts on the future, and I think it's fundamentally wrong. Chronically depressed people are far more likely to have no motivation or passion for anything, whereas those few lucky people who are chronically cheerful tend to be the most motivated and most passionate. This idea that suffering is beneficial is an archaic idea and hopefully more will realize that soon.

Brave New World is a work of fiction and is incredibly unlikely. As we know, new technology rapidly decreases in price until even the poverty-stricken have access to it. There certainly are risks to technological progress, but I don't see a Brave New World scenario to be one of them.

Quote (Skinned @ Sep 6 2014 01:34pm)
I suppose you have an eye for the assumption of becoming a higher form of life, but I personally believe that there are now higher forms of life nor lower forms of life...there is just life and it is all equal before nature.  Some life (human life) is more capable of seeing that absurdity.

When some of these forms of life suffer from debilitating chronic depression or have to experience the pain of being tortured and disemboweled alive, one can see pretty clearly that life can be improved.
Gold: 14.88
Sep 8 2014 05:39am
Quote (Vivienne @ Sep 5 2014 02:23am)
The ideas concerning abortion arise from the religious belief that life begins at conception. Were we to listen only to the scientific evidence we would find that what is used for stem-cell research has absolutely no noticeably human features whatsoever. It is a small cluster of cells, none of which are nerve cells, and is no more than a cyst.

The law disagrees. The life is protected. And it is life, most scientists would agree that the mass is a functioning organic organism.

This doesn't have anything to do with creationism though.

My opinion on this matter. Abortion is a disgusting thing that reflects shortsightedness and irresponsibility. In the case of the mother's health, it represents a lack of willing to sacrifice in the creation of new life.
Sep 8 2014 05:44am
Quote (PixileDust @ Sep 6 2014 02:47am)
There is no god.

He is withdrawn.

In His absence, Humanity has clumsily attempted to find meaning to life. They make their arbitrary rules, adhere to their meaningless ideologies, and at the end of the day people have no reason to go on living apart from biological impulses.

It was the retraction of divinity that turned men into beasts. All is for pleasure. All is fleeting. Purpose is a concept lost to all.
Gold: 18,470.03
Sep 8 2014 06:37am
'mericans are dumb
Gold: 1,261.00
Sep 8 2014 10:18am
Quote (PlasmaSnake101 @ Sep 4 2014 02:23pm)
That doesn't have to do with creationism. That has to do with ideas concerning abortion.

I know it's very difficult to try and separate motives for political actors who you have no interest in learning about. Non-creationists can oppose stem cell research and creationists can go ahead an support it. They are only incidentally related.

Maybe instead of rallying against stem cell research, people could rally towards harvesting stem cells from other sources. For example, encourage donations of cord blood after birth and build up the infrastructure for collecting, processing, and storing the blood.

Besides, I think the whole movement is retarded. It implies that people get abortions for the sake of donating stem cells, and that killing stem cell research will somehow reduce the number of abortions. This is quite obviously false.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 8 2014 11:21am
Quote (russian @ 8 Sep 2014 16:18)
Maybe instead of rallying against stem cell research, people could rally towards harvesting stem cells from other sources. For example, encourage donations of cord blood after birth and build up the infrastructure for collecting, processing, and storing the blood.

Besides, I think the whole movement is retarded. It implies that people get abortions for the sake of donating stem cells, and that killing stem cell research will somehow reduce the number of abortions. This is quite obviously false.

No it's not. Atheists do this all the time. There's an atheist cult in Louisiana which kidnaps pregnant women and cuts their babies out of their stomachs before putting the half dead foetuses into a sausage mincer to extract the stem cells!
Sep 8 2014 11:33am
Quote (Scaly @ Sep 8 2014 10:21am)
No it's not. Atheists do this all the time. There's an atheist cult in Louisiana which kidnaps pregnant women and cuts their babies out of their stomachs before putting the half dead foetuses into a sausage mincer to extract the stem cells!

Nuh uh, they mostly do it to make baby burgers, they just process stem cells out of the offal and left-overs. The burgers are used for satanic rituals, but are also high in protein and taste great. Even if stem cell research dies, these guys will still want ground foetuses on a bun.
Sep 8 2014 02:21pm
Quote (russian @ Sep 8 2014 08:18am)

I think it's the making the most of a horrid situation.

Again, it has little to do with creationism and more with your need to feed this sense of superiority you wrongly assume against religious people.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 8 2014 02:28pm
Quote (russian @ 8 Sep 2014 17:33)
Nuh uh, they mostly do it to make baby burgers, they just process stem cells out of the offal and left-overs. The burgers are used for satanic rituals, but are also high in protein and taste great. Even if stem cell research dies, these guys will still want ground foetuses on a bun.

:o Those damned atheists have gone too far this time! To the Godmobile!!!
Sep 8 2014 05:17pm
Quote (PlasmaSnake101 @ Sep 8 2014 01:21pm)
I think it's the making the most of a horrid situation.

Again, it has little to do with creationism and more with your need to feed this sense of superiority you wrongly assume against religious people.

It's making the most of a horrid situation for the benefit of all mankind in the hopes of medical advances. Perhaps some abortions for medical reasons may be avoided in the future with sufficient stem cell research. Either way, opposing stem cell research will do nothing to stop abortions, so it's a completely pointless, nonsensical tactic. You might as well parade your "abortion is murder" signs outside a dog grooming shop or a lemonade stand. Even if you get these establishments closed down, you haven't furthered your cause by an inch.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev15678924Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll