d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Epicarus Paradox > What?
Prev1789101112Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,272.50
Aug 9 2014 10:34pm
Quote (Voyaging @ 9 Aug 2014 19:42)
Ok, that's reasonable, but I don't think that at all conflicts with what I'm saying.

Yes, even modestly reduced suffering would make for a superior world, though I will avoid using your unnecessary religious attacks :P

Well you're saying that God could have created a world where there is no evil right? And that EVIL doesn't have to exist at all in this world because we don't have to have it right?

That works in a hypothetical, but Voyaging, accept reality man. We are here right now in this world and there is no way escaping it.

A Good quote from Ravi Zacharias:

"When you say there's too much evil in this world you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil. What is your question?"
Gold: 1,152.00
Aug 9 2014 11:10pm
Quote (HighschoolTurd @ Aug 10 2014 12:34am)
Well you're saying that God could have created a world where there is no evil right? And that EVIL doesn't have to exist at all in this world because we don't have to have it right?

No, no, not at all. Yes, God could have created a world without evil, but I am completely welcoming of the idea of human free will and the ability to choose to be good or evil.

I am saying that God could have created a world without suffering, and should have, and that this world has such unimaginable suffering is a good reason to suggest an omnibenevolent creator does not exist. In fact, personally I believe it is a demonstrative proof that an all-loving God does not exist.
Gold: 10.77
Aug 10 2014 12:59am
Nowhere in scripture will you find God claiming perfection, omniscience, or omnipotence. Jehovah was part of the creation story, but never claims to be the sole creator, and in fact the scripture itself indicates there were multiple creators. But Jehovah is most intricately intertwined in the Jewish creation story in Genesis Chapter 2. And Jehovah is vying for control of the entire world above all other Gods. The Creators did not restrict free will, and in fact free will seems to exist because of the multiple Creators needing vindication by their creation. So it goes that Jehovah has armed His people against the rest of creation in order to claim the prize of victory above all other Creators.

Read the Bible, study it out, you'll find this to be 100% true.
Gold: 101.00
Aug 10 2014 01:16am
Quote (inkanddagger @ 10 Aug 2014 07:59)
Nowhere in scripture will you find God claiming perfection, omniscience, or omnipotence. Jehovah was part of the creation story, but never claims to be the sole creator, and in fact the scripture itself indicates there were multiple creators. But Jehovah is most intricately intertwined in the Jewish creation story in Genesis Chapter 2. And Jehovah is vying for control of the entire world above all other Gods. The Creators did not restrict free will, and in fact free will seems to exist because of the multiple Creators needing vindication by their creation. So it goes that Jehovah has armed His people against the rest of creation in order to claim the prize of victory above all other Creators.

Read the Bible, study it out, you'll find this to be 100% true.

Gold: 10.77
Aug 10 2014 01:25am
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Aug 10 2014 07:31am
Quote (HighschoolTurd @ 10 Aug 2014 03:28)
You cannot have good without evil.

that is the concept of ying-yang dualism, which is imported from china, actually. now these are non-believers. they are pagans. and so are you if you approve it.

This post was edited by the_rest on Aug 10 2014 07:32am
Gold: 500.00
Aug 10 2014 08:09am
Quote (HighschoolTurd @ Aug 9 2014 11:34pm)

That works in a hypothetical, but Voyaging, accept reality man. We are here right now in this world and there is no way escaping it.

A Good quote from Ravi Zacharias:

about your quote hst,

problem of evil isn't so much about disproving the existence of a moral law giver, it's about exposing the inconsistencies of claiming that the one we have (if any) is perfect, omniscient and omnipotent - he/she cannot be all of these given the state of the world considering that it could be better

Quote (Voyaging @ Aug 9 2014 09:42pm)
Yes, even modestly reduced suffering would make for a superior world, though I will avoid using your unnecessary religious attacks :P

as offensive as it is i wouldn't say unnecessary, it serves the purpose of making it difficult and uncomfortable to defend the claim that this is the best world possible whereas it'd be easier to defend it if i made the equally valid claim that a world in which i have two cans of coke instead one in my fridge is superior ~ could say some bs about god wanting to keep me healthy

This post was edited by duffman316 on Aug 10 2014 08:30am
Gold: 1,382.83
Aug 10 2014 01:26pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Aug 8 2014 06:24pm)
Is Walt Disney willing to prevent anime , but not able ? Then he is not a a very good cartoonist .
Is he able , but not willing ? Then he is secretly half Japanese .
Is he both able and willing ? Then whence cometh hentai ?
Is he neither able nor willing ? Then why call him Walt Disney ?

Knew you'd post this somewhere within the thread just from the title lulz
Gold: 2,617.52
Aug 10 2014 07:01pm
Why do atheists worship Epicurus? There were so many other more intelligent and useful philosophers in that age.
Gold: 8,933.00
Aug 10 2014 09:16pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Aug 9 2014 01:29pm)
I of course am not going to change your mind and I hope my responses do not come across as attacks on your faith (they certainly aren't).

My point is that God could've created a world with all the goods that are in this one, including love, compassion, goodness, joy, and free will, without the deep, nasty suffering that for hundreds of billions of sentient beings on this planet are the only life they know. As long as our waking consciousness is based on gradients of experience (meaning certain states may be better or worse than others), moral behavior is still just as possible. We can still choose to be good or evil in a world without suffering, or at the very least in a world with less than the immense amount we face in this one.

And yes, of course the natural response is going to be that I shouldn't expect to fathom God's reasons for creating this world; I think otherwise since I have moral understanding and I realize that the immense suffering present in this world is incompatible with an omnibenevolent creator (who would've designed the world to be filled with such intense agony! He's basically a glorified torture artist).

But again, I don't expect to convince anyone.

Widow already answered eloquently, I would only paraphrase: without references from which to draw distinctions, how do we identify and quantify "good" without "evil?"

Quote (duffman316 @ Aug 9 2014 07:15pm)
that free will nonsense is bs

you're predisposed to think and act a certain way

That's like... your opinion man...
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789101112Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll