d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Epicarus Paradox > What?
Prev1101112
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 133,165.00
Aug 13 2014 04:12pm
Quote (Coerce @ Aug 8 2014 03:22pm)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"

-Epicarus

So what does this mean to you?  It absolutely makes sense to me seeing as how "He" is the all knowing creator but allows unjust actions to happen to men, women, and children.

not a bad argument

Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Aug 8 2014 03:24pm)
Is Walt Disney willing to prevent anime , but not able ? Then he is not a a very good cartoonist .
Is he able , but not willing ? Then he is secretly half Japanese .
Is he both able and willing ? Then whence cometh hentai ?
Is he neither able nor willing ? Then why call him Walt Disney ?

hmmmm yeah I don't think that's what being a cartoonist is all about. But as for God, very relevant.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 13 2014 04:26pm
We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid. Many religions now come before us with ingratiating smirks and outspread hands, like an unctuous merchant in a bazaar. They offer consolation and solidarity and uplift, competing as they do in a marketplace. But we have a right to remember how barbarically they behaved when they were strong and were making an offer that people could not refuse. I suppose that one reason I have always detested religion is its sly tendency to insinuate the idea that the universe is designed with 'you' in mind or, even worse, that there is a divine plan into which one fits whether one knows it or not. This kind of modesty is too arrogant for me. How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.
Gold: 1,261.00
Aug 13 2014 04:30pm
Quote (S3th @ Aug 13 2014 03:26pm)
We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid. Many religions now come before us with ingratiating smirks and outspread hands, like an unctuous merchant in a bazaar. They offer consolation and solidarity and uplift, competing as they do in a marketplace. But we have a right to remember how barbarically they behaved when they were strong and were making an offer that people could not refuse. I suppose that one reason I have always detested religion is its sly tendency to insinuate the idea that the universe is designed with 'you' in mind or, even worse, that there is a divine plan into which one fits whether one knows it or not. This kind of modesty is too arrogant for me. How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.

You should really give credit where it's due, instead of passing off other people's ideas as your own.
Aug 13 2014 04:32pm
Quote (russian @ Aug 13 2014 05:30pm)
You should really give credit where it's due, instead of passing off other people's ideas as your own.

I never once stated that it was me.
IE: your post also sums up organized religion

This post was edited by S3th on Aug 13 2014 04:35pm
Gold: 1,261.00
Aug 13 2014 04:43pm
Quote (S3th @ Aug 13 2014 03:32pm)
I never once stated that it was me.
IE: your post also sums up organized religion

You made no indication that you are quoting someone, which implies that you are the original author. Obviously nobody is going to add "this is my own idea" at the end of every post.
This is merely a forum, but if you did this in an academic circle you'd be thrown out for plagiarism, and rightfully so.
Aug 13 2014 04:46pm
Quote (russian @ Aug 13 2014 05:43pm)
You made no indication that you are quoting someone, which implies that you are the original author. Obviously nobody is going to add "this is my own idea" at the end of every post.
This is merely a forum, but if you did this in an academic circle you'd be thrown out for plagiarism, and rightfully so.

There is no need for me to give cites on JSP as this is not academic nor am I gaining monetary value from these post.
Gold: Locked
Aug 13 2014 04:47pm
Quote (S3th @ Aug 13 2014 03:46pm)
There is no need for me to give cites on JSP as this is not academic nor am I gaining monetary value from these post.

Theft is okay as long as it's casual and I'm not selling it.
Aug 13 2014 04:49pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Aug 13 2014 05:47pm)
Theft is okay as long as it's casual and I'm not selling it.

That's the same as comparing the Epicurean paradox to Walt Disney & hentai.
Gold: 1,382.83
Aug 13 2014 06:19pm
Quote (russian @ Aug 13 2014 06:43pm)

There is no need to indicate it's a quote..
It's a message that he seems to like, why does it matter where it came from?

Lawd
Gold: 152.00
Aug 13 2014 06:24pm
Quote (kayeto @ Aug 13 2014 03:57pm)
Could a parent put their child in a protective bubble until the day they turn 18, thereby preventing them from experiencing any suffering during their childhood? Yes

No, they could not. If being in a protective bubble prevented suffering (especially emotional suffering), we'd all be in bubbles.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1101112
Add Reply New Topic New Poll