d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1199219931994199519962039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 25.65
Oct 8 2016 02:14am
Quote (noob_whacker @ Oct 6 2016 09:43pm)
hope everything all good by you during this crazy weather

To echo this. Hope you are faring well.
Gold: 73.71
Oct 9 2016 03:26pm
Hi Raynor,

I was wondering if you have an opinion on my situation, it is regarding a torn ACL and a potential return to (recreational), sports

I was an avid soccer player for years until I tore my ACL a couple years ago, it wasn't properly diagnosed (long story), and by the time I found out I had indeed torn my ACL, it had functionally healed

So I remain very active, I run several times a week without any issues with my knee but my concern is a return to soccer. I am flirting with the idea of playing in a recreational league this winter on turf

Do you think with a proper brace, it would be safe to play? Or what is your opinion on my situation? Any advice would go a long way brother
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Oct 19 2016 07:01am
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Sep 27 2016 10:11am)
Hey Raynor,

Do you think I would benefit from a 5x5 plan? I'm juggling with the thought of doing it, but not sure if it would be the best for me..

Right now, I'm going to the gym 7 days a week. I do 3 sets of 10/12 reps, 3 exercises per group usually.

Day 1:
Chest/Shoulders/tris
Day 2:
Cardio
Day 3:
Legs/Abs
Day 4:
Cardio
Day 5:
Back/Bis/Cardio
Day 6:
Cardio
Day 7:
Rest/Cardio

I feel that a 5x5 plan would cut deeply into my weight loss, I'm sitting at about 240..

If you are purely interested in fat loss, you would be best suited to use something with a bit higher volume. However, some people have reported good overall fat losses with 3x5 / 5x5 plans, depending on their total exercise output, diet, etc.

In general, as long as you have sufficient exercise of ANY type, and a caloric deficit, you will lose fat.
Oct 19 2016 07:11am
Quote (Canadian_Man @ Sep 29 2016 05:04am)
Hey Raynor,

Glutamine is the precursor to citrulline.
Citrulline is the precursor to arginine.

I am confused about supplementation of arginine, citrulline, and glutamine.

I have read that glutamine is already abundant in protein, and so it's only useful in a similar fashion to BCAA's. But then I found out it's a precursor to citrulline, which confuses me.
I have read that citrulline is *AMAZING*, and that I should take 6g per day.
I have read that arginine isn't as good as it used to be touted to be... but then I've also read that arginine & citrulline taken together have amplified and prolonged benefits... but I'm confused, since others say that citrulline already produces arginine... so I'm not sure why both together would be beneficial.

Do you have insight into this?

Thanks! And thanks for the help with the previous questions.

This entire topic is commonly argued and misconstrued amongst the bodybuilding.com community. First, see here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20407005 and http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC3154534

Secondly, for maximum effect, one would need Arginine + Ornithine, Citrulline, and Glutamine, which all operate together. That being said, a typical amino supplement or whey shake, is going to give you all of that and more. If you feel you need more specifically, you can get some liquid aminos and take it pre/intra/post workout, and/or pre-bedtime, depending on your needs.
Oct 19 2016 07:30am
Quote (crowbrain @ Sep 29 2016 05:16pm)
Hello again

I have ran your beginner program and I was never sore. you said run that for 3 months then go to 5x5. This is my 3rd week into 5x5 and now I am always sore because each muscle group is worked ham every 7 days instead of every2-4 days like your beginner program. Can i take the beginner program program and do the same exercises on the same days as that program but do them 5x5 format? (to prevent being sore all the time)

The muscle soreness is normal for beginners on the plan. Stick to regular 5x5 and live with the soreness for the first few months. Once your body gets used to it, you will be sore less often. HOWEVER, the soreness is a good thing!! This means you are tearing the muscles and forcing them to rebuild, thus making you stronger and bigger. Make sure to get enough sleep and water throughout the day.
Oct 19 2016 07:33am
Quote (noob_whacker @ Sep 30 2016 10:12pm)
wow interesting read

so i do drink alot of coffee and probably consume around 200 mg to 500 mg of caffeine daily. most often its around 250 to 350 mg though. occasionally i will consume nearly 500 mg in a day but spread out through the day. mostly consume higher amounts when i need to study for longer period of time for an exam or such.

think this can cause issues due to my tolerance that has built up? in relation to what you have said?

500mg of caffeine throughout the day will cause minor caffeine tolerance over time, which can be defeated with a 1-week caffeine deload every few months. However, 500mg really isn't that much in a 15-18 hr day.
Oct 19 2016 07:37am
Quote (Haxjsp @ Oct 3 2016 05:39am)
How long will a cut from 22% BF to 12% BF take?

And at what caloric deficit should i cut at?

Depends on your exercise levels, diet, and genetics. In general, with a good overall diet (500-700 cal deficit), and 1 hr of exercise per day, 6 days per week, you can expect to go down to 12% from 22% in around 3-4 months.
Oct 19 2016 05:04pm
Quote (ttdskann @ Oct 3 2016 01:11pm)
Mr. Raynor, back for more! I actually forgot about the old advice I had asked until I saw my name in your profile...but unfortunately, I've gone back to the dark side and I'm looking for some more advice...

I went from being relatively "fit" to becoming a pile of lazy fat. I've hit my max of ~270 pounds, and it's disgusting, so I'm making a change...but I'm lost as where to start because of my mind-boggling disappointments in my body.

So here it is...

Weight: 270
Height: 5'10
BF: 30%+
Activity Level: Minimum

Currently getting back on a mostly protein/fat diet, limiting carbs to a minimum at this time. I need to get back to a gym ASAP, but currently it's a difficult thing to muster with my schedule and family matters, but I will get there.

Can you possibly shoot me a basic idea on what I should REALLY be watching for in my diet and what I should REALLY focus on at the gym to get acclimated again?

/edit

I am using https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/ to assist currently with nutrition and calorie/macro counting. This doesn't mean that I know what to be going for...

Hey there. Try to get down into the area of 2,500 cals per day on workout days, and 2,000 cals per day on non-workout days. Get at least 200g of protein, and split the rest between carbs and fat. Avoid sugar and stick to complex carbs. You can also try intermittent fasting (16-18 hours of fasting, followed by 6-8 hours of eating) in conjunction with those macros.

In addition, you really need to just get into the gym and start exercising for at least 1 hr a day, 6 days a week.

Obviously a real plan would be the best choice, but this is where you need to start.
Oct 19 2016 05:08pm
Quote (Canadian_Man @ Oct 3 2016 05:27pm)
Hey Raynor,

Another question.

Part 1:
A lot of purists say the only supplement that's worth your money is whey. The next tier down of purists say whey and fish oils, and maybe creatine & multivitamins.

On the flip side, there's lots of evidence that says things like the following all work really well:
- citrulline
- betaine
- bcaa's (when timed correctly)
- agmatine sulfate & glycerol/glycine
- carnitine

I am of the mind that the "Any other supplement is a waste of money" message is uninformed. I went out and bought truckloads of the above-mentioned stuff in bulk.
What do you think about supplements, and the common view that you're a sucker if you go for anything more than whey, creatine, vitamins?

Part 2:
I picked up agmatine sulfate, vegetable glycerin, taurine, and citrulline. While the citrulline is for multiple purposes, the four together will be a preworkout pump combination (alongside caffeine and a few other things).

Hydromax is relatively new. It's a trademarked version of glycerol powder, which is concentrated and more absorbable in the body. Glycine is the liquid form and much cheaper to buy. Hydromax is being put in a lot of preworkouts now for the pump. Do you know why glycerol/glycine hasn't become more popular, if it's so effective at producing a pump? And, do you think taking extra ingredients to get a bigger pump will notably improve long-term hypertrophy goals?

I personally can attest that ALL supplements (with rare exceptions) have SOME effect. The value of each largely depends on your goals. If the extra 0.005% muscle mass per year, or 0.1% volume gained each month, or whatever it may be - is worth the money to you, then yes, it's a good value.

The MOST obvious supplements are whey, creatine, vitamins, caffeine, and efa's. They have the LARGEST effect for the money. As you start going down the list, into single aminos, herbal supplements, etc., you continue to see results, but at a diminished rate per the item cost.

That being said, here's one of my supplement guides in order of importance based on my personal experience and research. Disclaimer, there may be a few changes since, but for the most part it is fairly accurate.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=475107555
Supplement Guide
Gold: 2,487.88
Oct 19 2016 05:11pm
Skcraynor you got pics of your body?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1199219931994199519962039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll