d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1199119921993199419952039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Sep 29 2016 03:16pm
Hello again

I have ran your beginner program and I was never sore. you said run that for 3 months then go to 5x5. This is my 3rd week into 5x5 and now I am always sore because each muscle group is worked ham every 7 days instead of every2-4 days like your beginner program. Can i take the beginner program program and do the same exercises on the same days as that program but do them 5x5 format? (to prevent being sore all the time)
Gold: 8,221.76
Sep 30 2016 08:12pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Sep 27 2016 09:43am)
My person opinion is that drugs are too over-regulated by our least favorite 3-letter organization (you know which one). Many years ago, people could buy most "prescription" drugs at pharmacies, just with a pharmacist's guidance. As time went on, in order to provide more complete control and increase the cost of everything, including medical school, price of drugs, price of medical care, etc., drugs became more and more regulated. For a while, the only regulated drugs were narcotics, and eventually has become everything, including basic antibiotics.

Illegal drugs are always illegal drugs and should not even enter the picture - however, I will go back 100 years when cocaine was actually legal and used in many forms of drugs, including cough syrup. There was no cocaine epidemic that most politicians claim there would be. If anything, the illegal nature of most drugs has caused the so-called epidemic.

Onto the sympathomimetic drugs in pre-workouts. As long as they are LEGAL, and the ingredients are clearly listed on labels, let the consumer make his/her decision if they want to consume that product. DMAA for example is not the evil heart-attack inducing, brain swelling, liver shrinking devil-powder that the FDA originally touted it to be. It's a mild stimulant in the doses provided in most of these supplements. Prolonged use of ANY supplement builds tolerance to it, and leads to pre-hypertension (this is why we cycle off things like stimulants).

That being said - I have no issue, one way or another, with people doing as they wish to their own bodies, so long as its legal.

wow interesting read

so i do drink alot of coffee and probably consume around 200 mg to 500 mg of caffeine daily. most often its around 250 to 350 mg though. occasionally i will consume nearly 500 mg in a day but spread out through the day. mostly consume higher amounts when i need to study for longer period of time for an exam or such.

think this can cause issues due to my tolerance that has built up? in relation to what you have said?
Gold: 1.28
Oct 3 2016 03:39am
How long will a cut from 22% BF to 12% BF take?

And at what caloric deficit should i cut at?
Gold: 1,380.00
Oct 3 2016 11:11am
Mr. Raynor, back for more! I actually forgot about the old advice I had asked until I saw my name in your profile...but unfortunately, I've gone back to the dark side and I'm looking for some more advice...

I went from being relatively "fit" to becoming a pile of lazy fat. I've hit my max of ~270 pounds, and it's disgusting, so I'm making a change...but I'm lost as where to start because of my mind-boggling disappointments in my body.

So here it is...

Weight: 270
Height: 5'10
BF: 30%+
Activity Level: Minimum

Currently getting back on a mostly protein/fat diet, limiting carbs to a minimum at this time. I need to get back to a gym ASAP, but currently it's a difficult thing to muster with my schedule and family matters, but I will get there.

Can you possibly shoot me a basic idea on what I should REALLY be watching for in my diet and what I should REALLY focus on at the gym to get acclimated again?

/edit

I am using https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/ to assist currently with nutrition and calorie/macro counting. This doesn't mean that I know what to be going for...

This post was edited by ttdskann on Oct 3 2016 11:15am
Gold: 125.00
Oct 3 2016 03:27pm
Hey Raynor,

Another question.

Part 1:
A lot of purists say the only supplement that's worth your money is whey. The next tier down of purists say whey and fish oils, and maybe creatine & multivitamins.

On the flip side, there's lots of evidence that says things like the following all work really well:
- citrulline
- betaine
- bcaa's (when timed correctly)
- agmatine sulfate & glycerol/glycine
- carnitine

I am of the mind that the "Any other supplement is a waste of money" message is uninformed. I went out and bought truckloads of the above-mentioned stuff in bulk.
What do you think about supplements, and the common view that you're a sucker if you go for anything more than whey, creatine, vitamins?

Part 2:
I picked up agmatine sulfate, vegetable glycerin, taurine, and citrulline. While the citrulline is for multiple purposes, the four together will be a preworkout pump combination (alongside caffeine and a few other things).

Hydromax is relatively new. It's a trademarked version of glycerol powder, which is concentrated and more absorbable in the body. Glycine is the liquid form and much cheaper to buy. Hydromax is being put in a lot of preworkouts now for the pump. Do you know why glycerol/glycine hasn't become more popular, if it's so effective at producing a pump? And, do you think taking extra ingredients to get a bigger pump will notably improve long-term hypertrophy goals?
Gold: 125.00
Oct 4 2016 05:55am
Heard some great things about Phosphatidic Acid: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164295351

Read through studies. It seems *too* promising. As in, creatine levels of benefit or better. I've also watched a couple YouTube videos on the stuff, one of which from a personal trainer who I respect. Are you familiar with this stuff?

I just ordered Lecithin Granules to try it out (which have lots of phosphatidic acid in them, plus choline as a two-fer).
Gold: 0.00
Oct 4 2016 12:00pm
Quote (crowbrain @ Sep 29 2016 02:16pm)
Hello again

I have ran your beginner program and I was never sore. you said run that for 3 months then go to 5x5. This is my 3rd week into 5x5 and now I am always sore because each muscle group is worked ham every 7 days instead of every2-4 days like your beginner program. Can i take the beginner program program and do the same exercises on the same days as that program but do them 5x5 format? (to prevent being sore all the time)

nevermind on my previous question. I’d rather have a custom training routine to do from you, the professional.

Btw I’m Tommy. Sorry for never introducing myself and thanks for your answers in the past.

I was 195lbs / 5’11 when i started the beginner program you gave me (8 weeks ago). I had a huge gut, love handles and fat on chest. My outter limbs were tiny. However, with the beginner program you gave me, i was able to take my 165 1rm bench to 225, 185 squat to 245 (atg). Great right!?

No.

My limbs look skinnier especially calves and forearms, and my gut is still there so i proportionately look WORSE due to losing fat in areas like my limbs and butt but no progress/way slower progress on the huge gut and chest fat (If I was a girl, I’d be praising the ground you walk on right now). Love handles have made some progress i will not lie.

With that said, i dont care about metrics (how much i bench, how much i weigh, etc...) i just want to look more muscular with a focus on limbs (large in the right places) with abs as well. How to achieve this goal? i feel like if i work on muscular development to make my limbs larger, it will require more food, keeping my stubborn fat on in the worst places. If i try to lose my belly and chest fat, i feel like I wont be able to build muscle in my limbs. I put emphasis on calves and forearms because they are exposed when i wear t shirts and shorts. who cares if i broke two plates but when wearing t-shirts, I look like a fat fuck twig arms. BTW today Im 200lbs.

I get that it’s only been 8 weeks. I am not looking for a “get rich quick” scheme, but just the correct long term approach. If that’s continuing to build strength for a year before a strategic hypertrophy program (been reading through your forums), so be it. If that’s a caloric surplus keto, caloric deficit keto, IF, clean bulk, 40/40/20 macros, WHATEVER, then so be it. Just help me what’s the best combo of meal prep and work out to pick please.

Thank you.

This post was edited by crowbrain on Oct 4 2016 12:01pm
Gold: 25.00
Oct 5 2016 05:41pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Sep 27 2016 01:56pm)
I actually have this:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=443443567
Police Academy Training Guide

Secondly, to answer your question directly - Yes, swimming will help with cardio endurance, as long as you are swimming at a cardio pace (engaged in prolonged laps at medium to high speed). For your shin splints, use some good calf sleeves to minimize the pain while running.

Thanks dude, I'm going to start using this for sure.

Just a question; what are the effects of caffeine on high intensity cardio/endurance training? I'm not taking extreme amounts like a pre workout, I'm taking 16oz coffee with 3 shots of 2% milk( coffee shop, not homemade) before I run my shuttle runs. My runs
are not in the morning but I use the caffeine in the coffee for energy, is this a bad idea? Considering caffeine will elevate my heart rate faster with cardio, will it cause performance issues? Or will it provide benefits regarding energy?

Another question:

I love the look of your workout routine, but I'm wondering, can I stay in the gym at all? To be honest I love the gym and I believe I've come a long way and don't really want to give it up, I've been doing 5 sets of exercises, (bench press 6-12 reps x5 for example) and ether a body weight exercise in between( push-ups, etc) Or jogging 100m between sets( my gym has a 100m track surrounding the equipment) since you gave me the link. basically I know Losing strength is imminent with all of the cardio, if I reduce my gym time from 6 days a week to 3 days, and include the cardio for rests, will this allow me to retain some strength? Or just overall still keep me too heavy and slow for my career choice? I'm willing to part ways if it's a must, just rather not. (I'd be in the gym on top of following your plan)

Here is some info incase you need it
6,1"
265 ibs
245x4 bench
315x5 squat
315x4 deadlift ( back issues)
Don't know bf% but I guess I'd say I'm bulky? I don't appear fat, but not vascular
60-90 mins spent strength training

This post was edited by bullets501 on Oct 5 2016 05:44pm
Gold: 8,221.76
Oct 6 2016 10:43pm
hope everything all good by you during this crazy weather
Gold: 22.69
Oct 7 2016 07:38pm
Yo,

I took about 4 months off from using free weights because I started boxing. I lost a ton of weight and now I'm getting back into free weights.

I want to go 4 days a week. Goal is to gain strength and size. Can you recommend me a good split? Preferably something other than the 5/3/1 program because I've had my run with that and I'd like to try something different.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1199119921993199419952039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll