d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Do You Guys Agree Binge Watching Is Better
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 805.50
Jun 8 2022 06:08am
Only Netflix does this but 3ven they have been splitting half seasons

I find some shows work way better n r way more addictive when u can binge

But only Netflix has been able to pull this off

Other streamers need to keep subscribers with one episode release a week
Gold: 403.00
Jun 8 2022 11:35am
I only binge shows now. Usually 1-4 days depending on the show. I don't like moving on to a new show before finishing a previous one

This post was edited by Rezzakin on Jun 8 2022 11:35am
Gold: 13,379.06
Jun 9 2022 11:21am
Binge walking is better. Not a fan of week to week cliffhangers.
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 9 2022 02:26pm
It really depends on the show tbh. For example I think the weekly discussions about true detective (s1) really elevated that show.

But for something like stranger things which is really just an absurdly long movie, who cares just release it all.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 16 2022 01:38pm
With water cooler talk basically being nonexistent, I don't see the harm in full releases.

In the past when people would stand around on their breaks or w/e talking about the popular shows of the week, it made a lot of sense to do these weekly releases. Market saturation is out of control though, you could have 20 people in a room together who all avidly watch television, and none of them could have seen or even be aware of the other people's shows. I know there's still some of this, but the majority of interaction regarding television shows has to be done online now, where you run the risk of running into massive spoilers, since assholes love looking that shit up online and spreading it everywhere. Had a kid I knew in highschool who literally just went around telling people Dumbledore died after the 6th book came out when he'd never read one of them. Dude was just a prick lol.

e: Some people believe the build-up adds to the overall enjoyment of the episodes, but I don't think this works for me. I absolutely loathe when a season ends on a cliffhanger, I think most the time it's used as a bullshit copout for good writing. As Blah said though, it all depends, some shows I can see the merit in weekly releases, for others I can't possibly imagine how anyone gets anything from watching them weekly. Anything Disney does would be a prime example of this.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jun 16 2022 01:40pm
Gold: 63,142.89
Jun 16 2022 10:41pm
Better Call Saul is better weekly than binge. The Witcher is better binge than weekly.

But those aren't the only two options. Streaming services have the luxury of experimenting with hybrid release models. For example, Amazon releasing 3 up front and then weekly after that. Also Arcane released in 3 segments of 3 episodes each.

When a new episode of a good show releases, there is a lot of enjoyable discussion and analysis on social media. But it tends to die down after 3 days or so. I'd like to see someone experiment with releasing 2 episodes per week, Monday and Thursday. This would give each episode their time in the spotlight, but the next one would always feel like it was right around the corner. The hype train would retain its momentum.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Jun 16 2022 10:55pm
Gold: 0.00
Jun 17 2022 04:35am
I would rather binge watch shows than waiting full fucking wekk for ep....
Gold: 805.50
Jun 17 2022 08:15am
Especially with these shows being kinda long movies now,

The writing for tv , was to try to give you cliff hangers to make u come back after commercial
Gold: Locked
Jun 17 2022 08:33am
At times yes, but I also miss the cliffhangers and that suspense having to wait a week to see what happens next once in a while. I feel like for top shows, giving everyone a week to talk about what could possibly happen next and analyze an episode, kind of during the game of thrones phase was cool. But when seasons come out like on netflix, and you have the no lifers who watch it all on day 1 and you cant get around to maybe just 1 or 2 episodes and see all the spoilers or ratings everywhere, it kind of kills the vibe.
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 17 2022 07:18pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 16 Jun 2022 13:38)
With water cooler talk basically being nonexistent, I don't see the harm in full releases.

In the past when people would stand around on their breaks or w/e talking about the popular shows of the week, it made a lot of sense to do these weekly releases. Market saturation is out of control though, you could have 20 people in a room together who all avidly watch television, and none of them could have seen or even be aware of the other people's shows. I know there's still some of this, but the majority of interaction regarding television shows has to be done online now, where you run the risk of running into massive spoilers, since assholes love looking that shit up online and spreading it everywhere. Had a kid I knew in highschool who literally just went around telling people Dumbledore died after the 6th book came out when he'd never read one of them. Dude was just a prick lol.

e: Some people believe the build-up adds to the overall enjoyment of the episodes, but I don't think this works for me. I absolutely loathe when a season ends on a cliffhanger, I think most the time it's used as a bullshit copout for good writing. As Blah said though, it all depends, some shows I can see the merit in weekly releases, for others I can't possibly imagine how anyone gets anything from watching them weekly. Anything Disney does would be a prime example of this.

It would be pretty great if they realized that cliff hangers piss people off more than they encourage watching.

If you don't know how to end a season/episode on a cliff hanger and don't know how to start a season/episode without a previous cliff hanger to resolve then why are you even a writer?
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll