d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > What To Invest
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 313,798.00
Mar 31 2022 08:43pm
Just started my etrade acct and put $3k in.

have 35% in SPY. 35% in QQQ
rest in PLTR and CHPT

i feel like i should diversify instead of being so tech heavy

Looking into Disney. 3M. maybe JP Morgan?
Any others i should maybe keep an eye on?

Going to deposit another $3k
maybe save some for AMZN in June when they split
Retired Moderator
Gold: 37,910.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 31 2022 10:47pm
Chip makers
Gold: 4,200.69
Warn: 20%
Apr 1 2022 01:40am
Buy Tsla on next dip
Gold: 0.00
Apr 1 2022 02:36am
If you’re looking for safe incremental profit, Brady Corporation CFO just bet on himself, bought half a million dollars worth of shares of Brady stock after restructuring upper management. New CEO new director of sales
Gold: 222.00
Apr 1 2022 11:37am
Quote (RatM @ Apr 1 2022 12:47am)
Chip makers

This is actually not a bad idea. Nvidia imo is a great company but is pricing in a substantial amount of growth already.

Quote (Pharaohmon @ Apr 1 2022 03:40am)
Buy Tsla on next dip

This is a tougher one. right now the market is pre pricing in a lot of growth for such a high capex company. but one thing i learned is never bet against Elon.

I have a couple ones im invested in atm. FB i feel is pretty safe at the current price point as long as they can manage to grow 5-10% in the next two years. If they can, itll return somewhere around 15-30% CAGR depending on market enthusiasm over the same period.

The other 2 im looking at, and currently have medium positions in, are WFCF and SMIT. WFCF is very interesting in terms of long term prospects as is SMIT but SMIT is more of a turnaround than WFCF.
On those 2 I feel less comfortable giving predictions because I myself haven't fully completed my analysis on them, but they seem promising so far.

Gold: 5.00
Apr 1 2022 12:28pm
Quote (Pharaohmon @ Apr 1 2022 03:40am)
Buy Tsla on next dip

This
Gold: 103.00
Apr 1 2022 05:31pm
you have good picks already but everything is "high" now so you'll really need to have some patience and guts and be of the mindset that may not be touching this money for a few years. incentive to hold if you go deep in the red is the fact that long term capital gains tax (holding for at least 1 year) is so much better than short term gains tax.
example situation: things nosedive straight from here, or slow bleed down like 50% over the next 6 months. if you hadn't already set stop-losses, might as well ride it out tbh, your incentive to hold is that you're accumulating time on the holdings so that when it does turn positive you pay less tax on it. your net profit may even be not far off from someone who "bought the bottom" perfectly because you're just paying so much less in tax on your long term hold-and-then-sale.

(other experienced investors, don't pile on me, i'm tailoring advice because he's new, and typically being new + trigger-happy is a worse recipe than being new + passive)

This post was edited by CheatEngine on Apr 1 2022 05:32pm
Gold: 313,798.00
Apr 1 2022 05:41pm
Quote (CheatEngine @ Apr 1 2022 04:31pm)
you have good picks already but everything is "high" now so you'll really need to have some patience and guts and be of the mindset that may not be touching this money for a few years. incentive to hold if you go deep in the red is the fact that long term capital gains tax (holding for at least 1 year) is so much better than short term gains tax.
example situation: things nosedive straight from here, or slow bleed down like 50% over the next 6 months. if you hadn't already set stop-losses, might as well ride it out tbh, your incentive to hold is that you're accumulating time on the holdings so that when it does turn positive you pay less tax on it. your net profit may even be not far off from someone who "bought the bottom" perfectly because you're just paying so much less in tax on your long term hold-and-then-sale.

(other experienced investors, don't pile on me, i'm tailoring advice because he's new, and typically being new + trigger-happy is a worse recipe than being new + passive)

I was planning to deposit several hundred every month and slowly grow the portfolio instead of having it sit in my savings earning nothing.
Not planning to touch this money for at least a couple years and then I may use it to buy real estate if I need the cash, otherwise, it will continue to be invested.

Maybe another ETF in addition to QQQ and SPY would be better?
Or should i wait a couple months and see if those two go down and then buy the dip?
Gold: 222.00
Apr 1 2022 07:28pm
Quote (CheatEngine @ Apr 1 2022 07:31pm)

this is a very important concept. On winners that you hold past a year its essentially a 35-50% (depending on your tax bracket) loan from the government, compounding tax free, and you pay nothing on it until you sell the position.

Quote (BOOTYS @ Apr 1 2022 07:41pm)
I was planning to deposit several hundred every month and slowly grow the portfolio instead of having it sit in my savings earning nothing.
Not planning to touch this money for at least a couple years and then I may use it to buy real estate if I need the cash, otherwise, it will continue to be invested.

Or should i wait a couple months and see if those two go down and then buy the dip?

This is a good plan in terms of you depositing and wanting you money to work for you. as for trying to time the market that one is a bit tough.
I would also like to introduce the concept of oppurtunity cost. Oppurtunity cost is essentially asking yourself if i get a return of x, do i want to tie up my money in x if in a few years i may be able to get a return of x + y somewhere else and what are the odds of finding such a return. You can make up a spreadsheet to quantify oppurtunity cost, its actually quite fascinating.

This post was edited by FrenchVanilla on Apr 1 2022 07:30pm
Gold: 4,200.69
Warn: 20%
Apr 1 2022 11:39pm
Quote (BOOTYS @ Apr 1 2022 04:41pm)

Buying SPY is the best if you arent sure what to invest in

Pretty much safest way to see decent returns
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll