d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > How To Play Warlock
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,723.98
Jan 21 2022 12:11pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Jan 22 2022 02:39am)
maybe on HC, on SC 60 is plenty if solo whistling, might want 75 if exploring, especially if you hit TD's.

Monk gets 90-100 vit because it isn't using a heal charm or at best is using salvation. Unless you are offcasting, where again 60-75 is plenty.
Warlock can just heal himself hence why less vit is needed.

His question is based on Warlock, and YES he is using a Monk at the moment, but he/she maybe Melee / Heal hybrid already, or could be a full caster, in which case you are correct for a Melee/Healer hybrid, but as a full caster/heal, he/she should invest more into Vitality especially if they do NOT want to die where he/she can lose MORE prof points.

Survival (no death) = more prof gain for Softcore character. It may NOT be hardcore as hardcore is, but 20% prof loss at higher rankings is a ton to recover.
Gold: 20,189.48
Jan 21 2022 12:17pm
Quote (izParagonzi @ Jan 21 2022 06:11pm)
His question is based on Warlock, and YES he is using a Monk at the moment, but he/she maybe Melee / Heal hybrid already, or could be a full caster, in which case you are correct for a Melee/Healer hybrid, but as a full caster/heal, he/she should invest more into Vitality especially if they do NOT want to die where he/she can lose MORE prof points.

Survival (no death) = more prof gain for Softcore character. It may NOT be hardcore as hardcore is, but 20% prof loss at higher rankings is a ton to recover.

i use 60 vit without an issue when casting on warlock. However i'm using gear which costs 100k.
I use 75 vit when going down 1-2 TD's at level 55-70, i usually will reset around lvl 70 to not be in any TD's.

I can argue that more int = more mana therefore more mana gained from shrines = mana regen gear is not even required. At 100 vitality i'd probably be struggling more for mana.

I would argue that because warlock has an extremely consistent heal due to having high intel, you can go at least 20 less vitality than a melee monk.
Jan 21 2022 12:32pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Jan 22 2022 07:17am)
i use 60 vit without an issue when casting on warlock. However i'm using gear which costs 100k.
I use 75 vit when going down 1-2 TD's at level 55-70, i usually will reset around lvl 70 to not be in any TD's.

I can argue that more int = more mana therefore more mana gained from shrines = mana regen gear is not even required. At 100 vitality i'd probably be struggling more for mana.

I would argue that because warlock has an extremely consistent heal due to having high intel, you can go at least 20 less vitality than a melee monk.

Very good points. The reason why I stated 100 vita is based on two(2) things:

#1: 100 base vitality = +4 Regeneration time while being in town instead of your +2 regeneration time.
#2: 100 base vitality = more physical defense (awaiting your next calculator based on Armor / defense).

As for more hit-points and staying in cata longer to kill monster is more proficient when using certain types of Charms... if using Lightning / Wind, you have chances of LOW damage attacks and have to attack more, or using Ice where the damage is consistent and you know your limits (I would play like you with more int to increase the avg dmg consistency of Ice).

I play hardcore with gear that is what... 2k (excluding heavy weapons) in total to your 100k, and even I only go to 95 base vitality, BUT, if I was a ROBED toon, I would go for 125 base vitality because I would get PUMMELED vs all the Melee monsters after level 75 where they are more dangerous.

Hey, everyone to their own right, I don't rely on gear, and yes, if I had great gear I would be like the rest, but then, I would also become complacent, and that is why when I die on HC, it is because I got complacent with mediocre gear.
Jan 21 2022 12:49pm
i agree in your situation 125 vit on monk and 100 vit on warlock makes sense for HC with the amount you have invested and potentially even similar for those using better gear on HC

However dying on SC on a character with the amount of prof foly has is not that big of an issue, given they are willing to spend 5k+ on single items they'll have good enough gear to get very good heals where i'll suggest my numbers are probably more suitable for his SC play.
Even dying on SC with the amount of prof i have where i'd lose more than 10 hours of play time of prof, isn't an issue for me. In the end prof is only +1 ee each. If he really wants a tonne of prof i'd suggest he does a few group climbs.

I'll leave it that i recommend he uses 20 less vit than he uses on his monk.

arguing about vitality affecting robes isn't a good one, it's a maximum of 1 defense per vitality on a robe without EE, which is what will be the case. In fact, arguing that he should go vit for extra defense is completely backwards as he gets considerably more magic defense per intel point added.
I do not believe he will need to regen. Warlocks are absurdly strong so i would expect him to be able to 1-75 from shrining alone.

and i agree, feel free to advise, but his circumstances are substantially different to your own.

This post was edited by Bigheaded on Jan 21 2022 12:50pm
Jan 21 2022 01:05pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Jan 22 2022 07:49am)
i agree in your situation 125 vit on monk and 100 vit on warlock makes sense for HC with the amount you have invested and potentially even similar for those using better gear on HC

However dying on SC on a character with the amount of prof foly has is not that big of an issue, given they are willing to spend 5k+ on single items they'll have good enough gear to get very good heals where i'll suggest my numbers are probably more suitable for his SC play.
Even dying on SC with the amount of prof i have where i'd lose more than 10 hours of play time of prof, isn't an issue for me. In the end prof is only +1 ee each. If he really wants a tonne of prof i'd suggest he does a few group climbs.

I'll leave it that i recommend he uses 20 less vit than he uses on his monk.

arguing about vitality affecting robes isn't a good one, it's a maximum of 1 defense per vitality on a robe without EE, which is what will be the case. In fact, arguing that he should go vit for extra defense is completely backwards as he gets considerably more magic defense per intel point added.
I do not believe he will need to regen. Warlocks are absurdly strong so i would expect him to be able to 1-75 from shrining alone.

and i agree, feel free to advise, but his circumstances are substantially different to your own.

All your points are valid and correct. (not going to say "BUT" and choose a different word)

However :P you pointed out (highlighted in Red of your quote), Vitality = more PHYSICAL defense, even if it is +1, it is better than 0 vs Physical attacks, and a Monk / Ninja & Warlock (especially Lock) has more MAGICAL defense by their BASE Intelligence using a ROBE compared to PHYSICAL defense.

Oh, by the way, my casting gear is around the same Forum Gold you bought yours on Softcore... 100k, if not more, I just don't use it as much and have lent out my better items.
Gold: 435.09
Trader: Trusted
Jan 21 2022 01:15pm
Quote (fOly @ Jan 21 2022 07:42am)
i know im atm at the monk ranked but just wanna ask already in future if i do unlock monk/ninja/ to warlock ofc ;)

alright i jut will got then 90-100 vita

thx for info izParagonzi

i never go above 50 vita but i have the heals for that. as long as you have a say 120ee+ lvl 55 heal charm you should be fine with max 70-75 vita. any more and your just gonna have serious mana problems, and your kill speed is gonna be terrible.
Jan 21 2022 10:32pm
Quote (Juston @ Jan 22 2022 08:15am)
i never go above 50 vita but i have the heals for that. as long as you have a say 120ee+ lvl 55 heal charm you should be fine with max 70-75 vita. any more and your just gonna have serious mana problems, and your kill speed is gonna be terrible.

great advice, I only have to add in one(1) thing. If you are going increase your base vitality, then do it by 25... 75 instead of 70. Why you may ask, the extra 5 points = +1 Regen (25 int/vita = +1 regen) and a little more physical defense.

In saying that, how much more damage do you get with the extra 5 intelligence? And is it worth it over all?
Gold: 1,575.68
Trader: Trusted
Jan 22 2022 03:39am
Quote (izParagonzi @ 22 Jan 2022 05:32)
great advice, I only have to add in one(1) thing. If you are going increase your base vitality, then do it by 25... 75 instead of 70. Why you may ask, the extra 5 points = +1 Regen (25 int/vita = +1 regen) and a little more physical defense.

In saying that, how much more damage do you get with the extra 5 intelligence? And is it worth it over all?

I never seen a caster care for live Regen tbh and you can swap that argument with saying you get more Mana Regen which is way more beneficial.

On the other hand vita does not really increase anything defense wise on a Robe class.

And yes 5 Int makes a good difference Damage + Mana pool wise
Jan 22 2022 04:30am
Quote (4ndr3as @ Jan 22 2022 10:39pm)
I never seen a caster care for live Regen tbh and you can swap that argument with saying you get more Mana Regen which is way more beneficial.

On the other hand vita does not really increase anything defense wise on a Robe class.

And yes 5 Int makes a good difference Damage + Mana pool wise

Vice versa this and that is your debate?

Come at me with your comments:

5 vita = more hit points and PHYSICAL DEFENSE (most monster spawn deal PHYSICAL damage)
5 inte = more mana pool and MAGICAL DEFENSE (less caster mob wave compare to Melee monster spawn & their ABILITIES).

YET, your character class already HAS high Intelligence (ffs, they have more MAGICAL DEFENSE using ROBES), but, they are lacking PHYSICAL defense AND on top of that, TO cast damage, A CASTER LOSES MANA POOL and has to eventually REGEN, shrine, use fish &/or Comfrey(s).

It is NOT rocket science, it is just plain logic... 5 stat points more to vitality on a robed character that has 70 base will increase their REGEN by +1 and PHYSICAL defense versus most monster spawns that are normally more physically dealing damage compare to magical damage.

Note: I play Guardian, and even though they are restricted to only wearing Chain or Plate armor, the only mobs I am cautious about are those that deal Magical damage... and I DON'T use EE armor.

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Jan 22 2022 04:31am
Jan 22 2022 05:44am
Quote (izParagonzi @ Jan 22 2022 10:30am)
Vice versa this and that is your debate?

Come at me with your comments:

5 vita = more hit points and PHYSICAL DEFENSE (most monster spawn deal PHYSICAL damage)
5 inte = more mana pool and MAGICAL DEFENSE (less caster mob wave compare to Melee monster spawn & their ABILITIES).

fine. on a standard robe which you'll have 50% of the time, the base physical defense is 0-14. So literally no matter how many points you put in, it'll always have 0 min defense. max defense from +5 vit is literally + 5% of 14 seeing we're talking about 0 ee.
This is between 0-1 max defense.

So you're arguing adding 0 min defense and 0.5 max defense is worth talking about?
This is completely retarded.

This post was edited by Bigheaded on Jan 22 2022 05:45am
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll