d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature >
Poll > How Many Covid-19 Vaccines Until Pandemic Ends
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Jan 3 2022 05:26pm
Quote (Subwoofer @ Jan 4 2022 12:07am)
Nope. Nothing about a mutation makes a virus milder in general. 100% false information.

wow you sure showed me with that dot at the end for extra seriousness :P anyways you are wrong, mutations always make a virus milder in time and heres why: imagine 2 mutations happening from a base virus and infecting different people. so the first one is more virulent and second less virulent. the scarier one forces you to be in bed, coughing your lungs up, puking blood, shitting water, you name it. who are you gonna infect if you cant even move from your bed? no one :zzz: on the other hand, the second guy gonna go to parties, make out with chicks (or guys, im not judging :mellow: ) for new year, hes gonna infect a whole bunch of people without even knowing it. thats how the less scary mutation has a much higher chance of survival. thats why ebola isnt much of a danger to the population, it kills fast and cant be spread efficiently :cry:

to avoid further misunderstandings, what i meant for mutations, i meant IN TIME :wacko: mutations that make the virus scarier are simply not favored by nature because the host has a worse clinical presentation which forces him/her to be less active than the person who got the less scary mutation
Gold: 73.00
Jan 3 2022 05:29pm
Mutations are a result of mistakes. The more you copy something the more mistakes you will likely make. It means it is flawed but not weaker in general.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 3 2022 07:11pm
Quote (Humbletrader @ Jan 3 2022 05:10pm)
It depends on the type of the mutation it seems.

Exactly. It can go either way to make the virus do anything different.

The assumption all mutations make it weaker is covid misinformation that has been spread on social media.

Quote (Snyft2 @ Jan 3 2022 05:26pm)
wow you sure showed me with that dot at the end for extra seriousness :P anyways you are wrong, mutations always make a virus milder in time and heres why: imagine 2 mutations happening from a base virus and infecting different people. so the first one is more virulent and second less virulent. the scarier one forces you to be in bed, coughing your lungs up, puking blood, shitting water, you name it. who are you gonna infect if you cant even move from your bed? no one :zzz: on the other hand, the second guy gonna go to parties, make out with chicks (or guys, im not judging :mellow: ) for new year, hes gonna infect a whole bunch of people without even knowing it. thats how the less scary mutation has a much higher chance of survival. thats why ebola isnt much of a danger to the population, it kills fast and cant be spread efficiently :cry:

to avoid further misunderstandings, what i meant for mutations, i meant IN TIME :wacko: mutations that make the virus scarier are simply not favored by nature because the host has a worse clinical presentation which forces him/her to be less active than the person who got the less scary mutation

Debates are for things that aren't facts. Mutations=/=weaker less dangerous virus. This is 100% wrong to tell people.
Jan 3 2022 07:16pm
Quote (Subwoofer @ Jan 4 2022 02:11am)
Exactly. It can go either way to make the virus do anything different.

The assumption all mutations make it weaker is covid misinformation that has been spread on social media.

Debates are for things that aren't facts. Mutations=/=weaker less dangerous virus. This is 100% wrong to tell people.

True like if HIV gets weaker everytime it mutates. As I said it gets more flawed but it makes it even more harder for the immune response to react to because it changes its shape sadly.
Jan 3 2022 07:40pm
Quote (Subwoofer @ Jan 4 2022 02:11am)

you know, facts i learned in med school dont stop being facts just because someone edited wikipedia <_< its a common mechanism that you are seeing in action right now even, so im not really sure how you consider that a "debate". its not a debate, its a fact, and i just explained the mechanism of how it happens. literally every doctor/nurse knows that, well at least i hope they do...thats why i like books, if you have a physical copy it cant simply be rewritten by a random "fact checker" :mellow:

heres an explanation from an old school guy, not sure if hes an actual m.d. but he explained it well :blush: !

in this video he makes a mistake though. he says that the fact that this rule doesnt apply to corona because you can transmit it before you have symptoms. i mean technically its true what he said...for a time, but not all the time. so a guy who has more virulent mutation will infect lets say 100 people before symptoms appear and 10 after, while the guy with less virulent will infect 100 before and lets say 100 after, which is more infected over time. ofc the higher the (time the virus is infective before symptoms : the time after symptoms), the less this rule applies (this is why it doesnt apply much to hiv for example, although it eventually does, hence hiv-2). for corona it applies somewhat

Quote (Humbletrader @ Jan 4 2022 02:16am)
True like if HIV gets weaker everytime it mutates. As I said it gets more flawed but it makes it even more harder for the immune response to react to because it changes its shape sadly.

theres a thing many people dont know about hiv, an important part of its virulence is due to the fact that it can stay functional even with a shitload of mutations. i thought that was a fun fact to share :blush: !
Jan 3 2022 07:43pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jan 4 2022 02:40am)
you know, facts i learned in med school dont stop being facts just because someone edited wikipedia <_< its a common mechanism that you are seeing in action right now even, so im not really sure how you consider that a "debate". its not a debate, its a fact, and i just explained the mechanism of how it happens. literally every doctor/nurse knows that, well at least i hope they do...thats why i like books, if you have a physical copy it cant simply be rewritten by a random "fact checker" :mellow:

heres an explanation from an old school guy, not sure if hes an actual m.d. but he explained it well :blush: !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9irEbq43Qc

in this video he makes a mistake though. he says that the fact that this rule doesnt apply to corona because you can transmit it before you have symptoms. i mean technically its true what he said...for a time, but not all the time. so a guy who has more virulent mutation will infect lets say 100 people before symptoms appear and 10 after, while the guy with less virulent will infect 100 before and lets say 100 after, which is more infected over time. ofc the higher the (time the virus is infective before symptoms : the time after symptoms), the less this rule applies (this is why it doesnt apply much to hiv for example, although it eventually does, hence hiv-2). for corona it applies somewhat

theres a thing many people dont know about hiv, an important part of its virulence is due to the fact that it can stay functional even with a shitload of mutations. i thought that was a fun fact to share :blush: !

If you went to med school please explain why some people bleed out of ears and cannot hear sound anymore after an infection with sars cov 2, thanks in advance.
Jan 3 2022 08:55pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jan 3 2022 07:40pm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9irEbq43Qc

Linking a youtube video from someone you yourself say is iffy as a source is a bad way to inform people of any subject.

Funny thing about med school and science field in general....you can get bad information. I think we all can name a Dr in any field that has said some dumb shit at some point. It happens because ignorance is something we tend to be ignorant of.

What happens most of the time=/=scientific law. So while that's "usually how it goes" it's terrible practice to ignore that it doesn't always go that way.
Jan 4 2022 05:34am
Quote (Subwoofer @ Jan 4 2022 03:55am)
Linking a youtube video from someone you yourself say is iffy as a source is a bad way to inform people of any subject.

Funny thing about med school and science field in general....you can get bad information. I think we all can name a Dr in any field that has said some dumb shit at some point. It happens because ignorance is something we tend to be ignorant of.

What happens most of the time=/=scientific law. So while that's "usually how it goes" it's terrible practice to ignore that it doesn't always go that way.

hes a good source and good at what he does, just not very good at math. overall, hes trusted :blush: about doctors saying dumb shit, that happens all the time yes! but this makes sense and ive seen it in practice so i value that more than googling stuff. everyone expected the virus to get weaker and it did, its as in the books :blush: !

Quote (Humbletrader @ Jan 4 2022 02:43am)
If you went to med school please explain why some people bleed out of ears and cannot hear sound anymore after an infection with sars cov 2, thanks in advance.

i dont really know as i havent seen that one. doctors basically dont know shit if they havent seen something in practice :cry: but i guess its most likely that it probably just directly infects the cells in the ear :unsure: ! now lets hope its just the conductive part of the ear since you can deal with that, if its important cells in the inner ear, thats not good :cry:
Jan 4 2022 08:25am
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jan 4 2022 05:34am)
hes a good source and good at what he does, just not very good at math. overall, hes trusted :blush: about doctors saying dumb shit, that happens all the time yes! but this makes sense and ive seen it in practice so i value that more than googling stuff. everyone expected the virus to get weaker and it did, its as in the books :blush: !

i dont really know as i havent seen that one. doctors basically dont know shit if they havent seen something in practice :cry: but i guess its most likely that it probably just directly infects the cells in the ear :unsure: ! now lets hope its just the conductive part of the ear since you can deal with that, if its important cells in the inner ear, thats not good :cry:

"I got told once and refuse to look into it more."

I got that right?

You aren't allowed to use youtube personalities in an argument then try to pretend a search engine isn't a credible way to find information.
Jan 4 2022 01:30pm
Quote (Subwoofer @ Jan 4 2022 03:25pm)
"I got told once and refuse to look into it more."

I got that right?

You aren't allowed to use youtube personalities in an argument then try to pretend a search engine isn't a credible way to find information.

are you understanding it wrongly on purpose or what <_< ?

it makes logical sense and ive read it and heard it multiple times in med school, and we are seeing the damn thing right now man :wacko: basically its something every doctor knows. its not really up for debate unless you want to look ridiculous, at least it wasnt until the tech lords decided its up for debate again <_<

now if you google it, you get 20 pages of "fact checks", which should be a red flag by itself. i dont know what else to tell you, you dont have to trust me, i wont play fauci and arrogantly say "im the science". im just telling you its common knowledge among doctors and pretty much everyone who has any medical experience :zzz:

my advice: if you dont trust me, dont trust the tech either. find a doctor you know and ask him, see what you get :blush:
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll