d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Cant Download Files From The Internet In Windows10
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 15,001.93
Trader: Trusted
Sep 14 2021 07:48pm
How long have you had this Laptop?
How much storage space do you have on your Windows C and D drives? If they are full this would be a good indication of why your download is failing at 90%.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/free-up-drive-space-in-windows-a18fae02-a0fa-8df9-9838-8970f9939de4

here is a couple solutions for you to try

Code
Fix 1: Change Internet Option Settings
When your drive location in your Internet Options is not the system drive, it can prevent you from downloading files. How to set the drive location as the system drive on Windows 10? Refer to the following tutorial.

Step 1: Press Windows + R, input control in the Run dialogue box, and hit the Enter key.

Step 2: Once Control Panel opens, click the Network and Internet option.

Step 3: Locate the Internet Options option on the right side.

choose Internet Options
Step 4: On the Internet Properties window, click the Settings button under the General tab. Then, view the drive location under Current location.

view drive location
If the drive location is C:, you can close this window and move to the next workaround. If not, continue performing the following operations.

Step 5: Click the Move folder button under Current location and select a folder in drive C:. After selecting a folder, click the OK button to save the change.

Step 6: Restart your system and see if the issue gets solved.

If you still can’t download anything, please try resetting your internet security settings.

Step 1: Reopen the Internet Properties window.

Step 2: Switch to the Security tab, click the Internet icon, and click the Custom level… button.

click the Custom level button
Step 3: Scroll to Downloads and make sure all options are enabled.

locate Downloads on the Security Settings window
Step 4: If you make certain changes, save the changes, and then restart your computer.

Code
Fix 2: Clear Your Browser’s Cache
When you can’t download anything from a browser, clearing the browser’s cache could be helpful. Here take Google Chrome for example.

Steps to clear cache and data in Google Chrome.

Step 1: Click the three dots at the top-right corner in Google Chrome.

Step 2: Choose the More tools option from the drop-down menu.

choose More tools
Step 3: Choose the Clear browsing data from the sub-menu.

Step 4: On the Clear browsing data window, what should be done is:

Switch to the Advanced tab.
Select Time range based on your needs.
Check the boxes next to Browsing history, Cached images and files, and Cookies and other site data (optional).
Click the Clear data button.
clear data and cache in Google Chrome
When data and cache have been removed from Google Chrome, check whether you can download your files now.

Code
Fix 3: Run SFC Scan
If system files have some issue, you can’t also download anything. You can run the SFC tool to repair these files.

Now, run the SFC tool on your computer.

Step 1: Open Command Prompt as administrator.

Type Command Prompt in the search bar.
Right-click the result and choose Run as administrator.
Step 2: On the Command Prompt window, type the command sfc/scannow command and hit the Enter key to run this command.

run sfc/scannow in Command Prompt

Step 3: Wait for the process to finish. Then, restart your computer.

Code
Fix 4: Adjust File Type Settings on Firefox
If you can’t download anything from Firefox, there is a chance that this browser is set to handle different types of files in different ways, and this could prevent you from downloading a certain type of file.

How to change the situation? Rest the file type settings to default.

Step 1: Launch the Firefox app on your computer.

Step 2: Open the Firefox menu by clicking the three-striped button. From the menu, select Help, and select Troubleshooting information.

select Troubleshooting Information
Step 3: Locate Profile Folder in the Application Basic section. Then, click the Open Folder button following Profile Folder and a window pops up.

click Open Folder button following profile Folder
Step 4: Relaunch the Firefox menu and choose the Exit option from the menu.

Step 5: On the popping-up window, locate the handlers.json file and delete or rename it. If you choose to rename it, you can rename it “handlers.json.old”.

locate the handlers.json file
Now, you can relaunch Firefox and try downloading files again.

Code
Fix 5: Reset Your Computer
If all the above workarounds are not helpful, the last resort you can take is to reset your computer. Here are steps.

Step 1: Click the Windows icon on the taskbar and then click the Settings icon.

Step 2: Choose the Update & security setting on the Settings window.

Step 3: Choose the Recovery option on the left side and then click the Get Started button under Reset this PC on the right side.

click the Get started button
Step 4: Choose Keep my files.

Step 5: Click Reset to actually commit.

Your computer will restart and it will boot back up again after several minutes.

This post was edited by Definite on Sep 14 2021 07:57pm
Gold: 10.00
Sep 14 2021 07:59pm
Quote (Definite @ Sep 14 2021 09:48pm)
How much storage space do you have on your Windows C and D drives? If they are full this would be a good indication of why your download is failing at 90%.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/free-up-drive-space-in-windows-a18fae02-a0fa-8df9-9838-8970f9939de4

Code
When your drive location in your Internet Options is not the system drive, it can prevent you from downloading files. How to set the drive location as the system drive on Windows 10? Refer to the following tutorial.

Step 1: Press Windows + R, input control in the Run dialogue box, and hit the Enter key.

choose Internet Options
Step 4: On the Internet Properties window, click the Settings button under the General tab. Then, view the drive location under Current location.

view drive location
If the drive location is C:, you can close this window and move to the next workaround. If not, continue performing the following operations.

Step 5: Click the Move folder button under Current location and select a folder in drive C:. After selecting a folder, click the OK button to save the change.

If you still can’t download anything, please try resetting your internet security settings.

Step 2: Switch to the Security tab, click the Internet icon, and click the Custom level… button.

Step 4: If you make certain changes, save the changes, and then restart your computer.

Code
When you can’t download anything from a browser, clearing the browser’s cache could be helpful. Here take Google Chrome for example.

choose More tools

Check the boxes next to Browsing history, Cached images and files, and Cookies and other site data (optional).
When data and cache have been removed from Google Chrome, check whether you can download your files now.

Code
If system files have some issue, you can’t also download anything. You can run the SFC tool to repair these files.

Step 2: On the Command Prompt window, type the command sfc/scannow command and hit the Enter key to run this command.

Code
If you can’t download anything from Firefox, there is a chance that this browser is set to handle different types of files in different ways, and this could prevent you from downloading a certain type of file.

Step 2: Open the Firefox menu by clicking the three-striped button. From the menu, select Help, and select Troubleshooting information.

Step 3: Locate Profile Folder in the Application Basic section. Then, click the Open Folder button following Profile Folder and a window pops up.

Step 5: On the popping-up window, locate the handlers.json file and delete or rename it. If you choose to rename it, you can rename it “handlers.json.old”.

Code
If all the above workarounds are not helpful, the last resort you can take is to reset your computer. Here are steps.

Step 3: Choose the Recovery option on the left side and then click the Get Started button under Reset this PC on the right side.

Your computer will restart and it will boot back up again after several minutes.

There’s plenty of space available. It said ‘Network Issue’

Not sure :unsure:
Sep 14 2021 08:00pm
Quote (FunkDoc @ Sep 14 2021 07:59pm)
There’s plenty of space available. It said ‘Network Issue’

Not sure :unsure:

Can you go into your windows 10 update settings and scan for any optional updates?
Sep 14 2021 08:04pm
Quote (Definite @ Sep 14 2021 10:00pm)
Can you go into your windows 10 update settings and scan for any optional updates?

I’ll do it now..

It shows there’s an Update and says Restart Required.

I commenced the Restart so I’ll see what happens.

I was also thinking maybe it has something to do with Windows Protection/Virus Security?

What do you think if I turn Firewall off and try to download? If it works then turn it back on again?

Sorry, I’m not a computer guy. Trying to follow along with computer terminology sometimes is like staring at ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs for me lol..
Sep 14 2021 08:06pm
Quote (FunkDoc @ Sep 14 2021 08:04pm)
I’ll do it now..

It shows there’s an Update and says Restart Required.

I commenced the Restart so I’ll see what happens.

I was also thinking maybe it has something to do with Windows Protection/Virus Security?

What do you think if I turn Firewall off and try to download? If it works then turn it back on again?

Sorry, I’m not a computer guy. Trying to follow along with computer terminology sometimes is like staring at ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs for me lol..

I usually like to deal with fire wall/security last as you want a solution that allows you to keep them open.
Sep 14 2021 08:07pm
Quote (Definite @ Sep 14 2021 10:06pm)
I usually like to deal with fire wall/security last as you want a solution that allows you to keep them open.

Cool, it’s just restarting after the update. I’ll let you know what happens. Thanks!
Sep 14 2021 08:12pm
Quote (Definite @ Sep 14 2021 10:06pm)

Updated, still not working. Tried to download the battle.net app and it says Failed (again, there’s plenty of space on the drive, I have hardly anything on the laptop)
Sep 14 2021 08:38pm
Quote (FunkDoc @ Sep 14 2021 08:12pm)
Updated, still not working. Tried to download the battle.net app and it says Failed (again, there’s plenty of space on the drive, I have hardly anything on the laptop)

Please double check your updates to make sure they all downloaded (some may of failed).

I would also reference some of the other solutions I provided above.

Quote (Definite @ Sep 14 2021 07:48pm)

Code

choose Internet Options

view drive location

Code

choose More tools

Code

Code

Code

Sep 14 2021 09:07pm
Quote (Definite @ Sep 14 2021 10:38pm)
Please double check your updates to make sure they all downloaded (some may of failed).

Alright, just ran SFC scan and rebooting again.

I’ll check to make sure all updates were completed. If they were I will try and download the file again and see what happens.

If they weren’t, I’ll update them restart again. Then I will try and download the file and see what happens.

Thanks
Sep 14 2021 09:22pm
Quote (Definite @ Sep 14 2021 10:38pm)

Still doesn’t work. I’m on the last step of Resetting.

My only concern is the loss of applications/games during reset. I’m worried if I reset and the issue still persists, I won’t be able to download those games/applications back (obviously) and would be further behind from where I am now..
Go Back To General Help Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic