d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Why Did(nt) You Get Vaccinated?
Prev1636465666770Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 500.00
Sep 10 2021 02:35pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Sep 10 2021 04:04pm)
The #1 issue here, Duff, is that I'm pro vaccine, and pro bodily autonomy. I think anyone who wants a vaccine should get it. I think anyone in an at risk group should be encouraged to get it. However, based on the most current studies, which align very well with everything we know of immunology, natural immunity is king.I also have extreme reservations about trying to "protect yourself" from a virus that you're at low risk of severe symptoms of, when similar viruses could come along later that're worse. Most of the people posting on this forum about not personally taking the Vaccines have a similar stance. There's nothing "antivax" about any of this.

My only real concern at this time is mandates relating to the vaccines, especially where schools and employers are concerned. Covid is literally less deadly to those under 19 (those under 29, tbh) than the flu. That's what the data gathered over the last 20 months has indicated. We have death rates, we have hospitalization rates, and children are not impacted in any notable measure. Why would we mandate vaccination to a group who doesn't need it, and who would likely derive greater benefit from simply catching the cold and moving on?

Im curious about the consensus of the medical community on the bolded as opposed to your interpretation of the data.

I don't think anyone is saying you should get the vaccine strictly to avoid dying yourself. They're saying you should get it for yourself and those who are more at risk for whom exposure to covid could prove lethal despite being vaccinated.

Complications from the covid vaccine are orders of magnitude less common than complications from the coronavirus. This is why getting the vaccine was a nobrainer for most people and its also why i support the mandates.

This post was edited by duffman316 on Sep 10 2021 02:36pm
Gold: 260.11
Sep 10 2021 02:38pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Sep 10 2021 03:35pm)
Im curious about the consensus of the medical community on the bolded as opposed to your interpretation of the data.

I don't think anyone is saying you should get the vaccine strictly to avoid dying yourself. They're saying you should get it for yourself and those who are more at risk for whom exposure to covid could prove lethal despite being vaccinated.

Complications from the covid vaccine are orders of magnitude less common than complications from the coronavirus. This is why getting the vaccine was a nobrainer for most people and its also why i support the mandates.

Hes presenting a false dichotomy. You can get vaccinated and that will reduce your symptoms when you get the real thing.
Gold: 2,617.52
Sep 10 2021 02:38pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 10 2021 04:32pm)
The amount of obese people is relatively constant over time and the resources in the healthcare system are calibrated accordingly. The number of fatties and the associated burden on the healthcare system only changes over periods of years, if not decades, there cannot be a sudden surge of cases of obesity-related diseases. By contrast, the number of covid patients has the potential to grow 5-, 10- or even 20-fold within a few weeks, creating such a rapid surge in the burden on the hospitals that they cannot possibly cope.

You can lose 5 pounds a week reasonably.

Quote (duffman316 @ Sep 10 2021 04:35pm)

Israel studies find natural immunity 30x more effective than the vaccines.

The biggest risk factors are age followed by hypotension and obesity.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Sep 10 2021 02:40pm
Gold: 6,376.70
Sep 10 2021 02:39pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 10 Sep 2021 13:28)
Only when it actually becomes an issue, which covid has and obesity hasnt

66% of all hospitalized patients, according to a (pre-covid) recent study, were either overweight or obese. Comorbidities associated with these patients were: "Comorbidities and their prevalence included, hypertension (68%), diabetes mellitus (35%), hyperlipidemia (36%), coronary artery disease (18%), chronic kidney disease (17%), congestive heart failure (18%) and COPD (24%)."

As it turns out, Obesity (and being overweight in general) sounds a lot like covid, in hospitalizations and comorbidities both. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6111619/

Now put down your 2 pound brick of cheese. We know you're hungry, but it's time to hit the Stairmaster. We don't want to see anything bad happen to you. ♥
Sep 10 2021 02:41pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Sep 10 2021 03:38pm)
You can lose 5 pounds a week reasonably.

Lol no. Unless you are 600+ lb then 5lb a week is not healthy. You should go for 1-4lb when actively dieting and adjust that number based on your weight. You arent going to go from 250 to 200 as fast as you will 450 to 400
Sep 10 2021 02:43pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Sep 10 2021 03:39pm)
66% of all hospitalized patients, according to a (pre-covid) recent study, were either overweight or obese. Comorbidities associated with these patients were: "Comorbidities and their prevalence included, hypertension (68%), diabetes mellitus (35%), hyperlipidemia (36%), coronary artery disease (18%), chronic kidney disease (17%), congestive heart failure (18%) and COPD (24%)."

As it turns out, Obesity (and being overweight in general) sounds a lot like covid, in hospitalizations and comorbidities both. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6111619/

Now put down your 2 pound brick of cheese. We know you're hungry, but it's time to hit the Stairmaster. We don't want to see anything bad happen to you. ♥

And yet we weren't filling hoapitals until covid happened. Almost like covid is the real cause and we should be putting more emphasis on fighting that.
Gold: 6,376.70
Sep 10 2021 02:47pm
Quote (duffman316 @ 10 Sep 2021 13:35)

And this is the exact point I was making regarding spreading the virus. When the CDC and WHO claim that vaccines are 88% effective in preventing the symptoms (Covid-19), and help reduce the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, what they're saying is, vaccines don't prevent the spread. Their lack of any data or even numbers regarding how much it may or may not "reduce" the spread of the virus is even worse. As for all we know, it's a 1% reduction.

Likewise, natural immunity has the same impact of providing immunity, but again, has the same questions regarding spread of the actual virus. Thus, this leads to the rather logical conclusion that whether or not anyone else gets the vaccine may or may not "limit the spread" of the virus. What it will do is help to protect THEM from developing the symptoms aka "Covid-19".

Thus we get back to bodily autonomy. If you get vaccinated, you're unlikely to develop the Covid-19 disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, but you may still spread the virus. If you catch the virus and fight it off (whether you develop full Covid-19 or not), you're unlikely to develop the symptoms if you become a carrier again, but you may still spread the virus.

Thus, the ultimate conclusion? Everyone who wants to be protected from the virus needs the vaccine, or to catch the virus. Meaning, you cannot blame "the unvaccinated" if you get sick. You're vaccinated. As it stands, it's more likely that you become an unknowing carrier/spreader, and make the unvaccinated sick than that they make you sick.

And... This is the justification being used for our new and improved (outdoor included!) mask mandates.

See? Science!

Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 10 Sep 2021 13:43)
And yet we weren't filling hoapitals until covid happened. Almost like covid is the real cause and we should be putting more emphasis on fighting that.

Hospitals became strained literally every flu season every year since I was born. You're speaking nonsense. They work on a high capacity business model. Any abrupt surge of patients strains a hospital.

This post was edited by InsaneBobb on Sep 10 2021 02:52pm
Gold: 4,400.67
Sep 10 2021 02:48pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ 10 Sep 2021 22:39)

This number actually seems low, considering that 73.6% of the US adult population* are either overweight or obese according to the CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

*since minors don't make up a significant share of hospitalized covid patients, these two numbers can be compared.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Sep 10 2021 02:49pm
Gold: 4,400.67
Sep 10 2021 02:51pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ 10 Sep 2021 22:38)
Israel studies find natural immunity 30x more effective than the vaccines.

No, it does not, the factor ranged between 6 and 13. Furthermore, the real headline coming out of the Israeli study is that a single dose of the vaccine can further cut the risk of infection in half among the previously infected.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Sep 10 2021 02:52pm
Sep 10 2021 02:53pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Sep 10 2021 03:47pm)

Hospitals became strained literally every flu season every year since I was born. You're speaking nonsense. They work on a high capacity business model. Any abrupt surge of patients strains a hospital.

Oh is flu season starting in May now?

We are seeing nationwide maxing out of medical resources. Its covid, not obesity lol.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1636465666770Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll