d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Building From Scratch - Budget $10k
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Sep 3 2021 10:55am
I'm looking to get a PC built by the end of the month. I will require everything, and have never built one before, only upgraded components in a pre-built. Here's what I've got so far:

MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
GPU: RTX 3090
HD: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 802 ATX Mid Tower Case ---------------------> Might go liquid cooling, don't know if this is a good case for that
PSU: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling: I feel like this is the most important part and I'm a little lost as how to go about it

I guess I'm asking for resources or direction. I might do the nand 2 tetris course, not sure if that's the most efficient way to do this or not.
Not sure what kind of cards I'd need either. It looks like the MB has onboard network and audio adapters, but I'm not entirely certain. Any help or comments appreciated. I'll need a K+M and a monitor as well.
Gold: 40,605.01
Sep 3 2021 11:22am
With the AMD 5600X, it comes with a stock cooler. So in terms of your CPU cooling options, you don't need to go above and beyond.

If you went with the AMD 5800X, you do need to purchase a separate CPU cooler. A heavy duty fan should suffice, like the Noctua NH-D15. However, take note of the RAM height/clearance that could interfere with the CPU cooler.

If you went with the AMD 5900X or 5950X, you can get by with a heavy duty fan, but an AIO or custom liquid cooling would be my recommendation.

Most of the high-end motherboards should have built in WiFi/Bluetooth. Unless you want your PC to be a movie theater or whatever, you don't need a sound card and the built-in sound card should suffice.

Try out various keyboards and mice to your own fit.

At the bare minimum, your monitor should be 27", IPS, QHD/1440p resolution.

This post was edited by Xet on Sep 3 2021 11:23am
Sep 3 2021 12:15pm
Quote (Xet @ Sep 3 2021 12:22pm)
With the AMD 5600X, it comes with a stock cooler. So in terms of your CPU cooling options, you don't need to go above and beyond.

Ok, temp is the thing I'm most concerned about, and I really want to give liquid cooling a go for the noise reduction, but I don't want to fuck it up. I don't need anything more than a 5600x, is thermal paste still a good idea?

However, take note of the RAM height/clearance that could interfere with the CPU cooler.

Yeah this is why I wanted to build in a roomy case, you figure a full tower would be overkill for a single PC?

Most of the high-end motherboards should have built in WiFi/Bluetooth. Unless you want your PC to be a movie theater or whatever, you don't need a sound card and the built-in sound card should suffice.

I did want to add a sound system but will probably hold off for awhile.

At the bare minimum, your monitor should be 27", IPS, QHD/1440p resolution.

I'm looking at 27-28" 4k monitors, but they seem scarce. There's a high end 32" display but it's super expensive and the size alone might be overkill. There's supposed to be a rash of new displays around the corner but really no word on them and it's almost Q4. I guess I should just start ordering what I know I want and go from there.
Sep 3 2021 12:49pm
With an AMD 5600X, temperature shouldn't really be too big of a concern. The stock cooler or any other fan cooler is ok.

I don't know what kind of question is "is thermal paste still a good idea" because in both fan coolers and AIO coolers, you have to use thermal paste or any other medium (it could also be liquid metal) to make sufficient contact between CPU and its cooler. This question almost feels like if you purchased a car...and you're asking me if you should fill it up with gas. Obviously the answer is yes, but the type of gas can be different.

With an air cooler, a mid-tower is sufficient. But there are small form factor (SFF) builds that uses SFF cases and do run on fan cooler. But these build tend to use a lower/weaker CPU. If they want more CPU power, then the SFF build will use AIO cooler.

I think the reason why 27" monitors at 4k resolution are rare is because I can't see the difference between 1440p and 4k at 27". If the screen was bigger like 32", maybe I can tell the difference. It's like laptops with 15" screens and they either have 1440p or 4k resolution. I can't tell. I just bought a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen9 with 4k resolution and I can't tell it from a 1440p resolution.

I also forgot to mention that an AIO will be a constant noise level with its pump. The fans on the AIO radiator may also add to the noise depending on CPU activity/load. A fan cooler (similar to the fans on the AIO radiator) will vary depending on the CPU activity/load.

This post was edited by Xet on Sep 3 2021 12:51pm
Sep 3 2021 01:02pm
Quote (Xet @ Sep 3 2021 01:49pm)
With an AMD 5600X, temperature shouldn't really be too big of a concern. The stock cooler or any other fan cooler is ok.

I don't know what kind of question is "is thermal paste still a good idea" because in both fan coolers and AIO coolers, you have to use thermal paste or any other medium (it could also be liquid metal) to make sufficient contact between CPU and its cooler. This question almost feels like if you purchased a car...and you're asking me if you should fill it up with gas. Obviously the answer is yes, but the type of gas can be different.

With an air cooler, a mid-tower is sufficient. But there are small form factor (SFF) builds that uses SFF cases and do run on fan cooler. But these build tend to use a lower/weaker CPU. If they want more CPU power, then the SFF build will use AIO cooler.

I think the reason why 27" monitors at 4k resolution are rare is because I can't see the difference between 1440p and 4k at 27". If the screen was bigger like 32", maybe I can tell the difference. It's like laptops with 15" screens and they either have 1440p or 4k resolution. I can't tell. I just bought a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen9 with 4k resolution and I can't tell it from a 1440p resolution.

I thought it came with stock paste, I was thinking of prebuilts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vjWtUpItk

According to goofy tech man a good noctua air cooler beats AIO in performance, and since this is my first build and I don't know how to build one with a custom loop and all that shit I'll just stick to the simple solution. Have you ever used a 32" monitor before? I've had tv's that size.
Sep 3 2021 01:15pm
Not sure if I wasn't clear earlier but with a 32" monitor, I can slightly tell the difference between 1440p or 4k resolution.
Gold: 24,401.00
Sep 3 2021 02:32pm
Quote (Rodyon @ Sep 3 2021 09:55am)
I'm looking to get a PC built by the end of the month. I will require everything, and have never built one before, only upgraded components in a pre-built. Here's what I've got so far:

MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
GPU: RTX 3090
HD: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 802 ATX Mid Tower Case ---------------------> Might go liquid cooling, don't know if this is a good case for that
PSU: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling: I feel like this is the most important part and I'm a little lost as how to go about it

I guess I'm asking for resources or direction. I might do the nand 2 tetris course, not sure if that's the most efficient way to do this or not.
Not sure what kind of cards I'd need either. It looks like the MB has onboard network and audio adapters, but I'm not entirely certain. Any help or comments appreciated. I'll need a K+M and a monitor as well.

10k budget to upgrade this...

id get a processor some cooling like a 3 fan aio, and a nice looking giant argb case.
then with the other 8,500.00$ id buy a really nice desk, executive chair, sound sytem and the samsung odyssey neo g9 monitor.
Sep 3 2021 02:52pm
Quote (UsEr_SeLeCtEd @ Sep 3 2021 03:32pm)
neo g9 monitor.

Isn't that shit too wide and will cause problems? I'm really just trying to set myself up for 4k gaming, maybe the CPU I picked isn't actually the greatest now that I've been looking more, it's just the best bang for your buck. I'm not necessarily trying to spend all that dough and also I hate RGB.
Sep 3 2021 03:16pm
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fTpb7X

If you're not looking for RGB, and you want something priced fairly, with the 4k gaming, then try this build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9qr7K3

This post was edited by Xet on Sep 3 2021 03:28pm
Sep 3 2021 04:20pm
Quote (Xet @ Sep 3 2021 04:16pm)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fTpb7X

If you're not looking for RGB, and you want something priced fairly, with the 4k gaming, then try this build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9qr7K3

This is great, thanks. Might go with something very similar to what you picked. I appreciate the help.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll