d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows >
Poll > Chernobyl (2021) Russia Version Vs 2019 Tv Series
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 427,013.99
Jun 7 2021 08:06am
Chernobyl: Abyss (2021 made by the Russians) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10648714/

Chernobyl (TV Mini Series 2019) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/

Discuss.

This post was edited by ImVeryFood on Jun 7 2021 08:08am
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 7 2021 10:44am
A dramatized story about how Russia fucked up and caused a disaster and then worked to mitigate it's damage, versus propaganda that shows Russia helping to save all of Europe from an unavoidable accident that was in no way their fault.

I think I'll take the former, but I may still watch this film, although the trailer paints a pretty clear picture of what it's going to be.
Jun 7 2021 03:26pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 7 2021 09:44am)
A dramatized story about how Russia fucked up and caused a disaster and then worked to mitigate it's damage, versus propaganda that shows Russia helping to save all of Europe from an unavoidable accident that was in no way their fault.

I think I'll take the former, but I may still watch this film, although the trailer paints a pretty clear picture of what it's going to be.

I just finished watching it. It's not as in-depth and intense as the TV series. It's a movie about one of the firemen who sacrifice himself to get something arranged for his family. They just focus on painting the fireman as a hero despite his fucked up past. They don't really go into what cause the reactor explosion and how they fixed it.

They don't show severe radiation poisoning like the TV show where the guy in unrecognizable in the hospital scene with the reporter interviewing him. In this movie, everyone either not showing symptoms yet or are in the early stages: nosebleed, puking, and minor skin burns. Everyone who died or are dying are still recognizable.

Overall, I rank it average. It's still worth watching if you're curious. The whole movie is in Russian, so you'll need English subtitles.
Jun 7 2021 05:57pm
Quote (ImVeryFood @ Jun 7 2021 02:26pm)
I just finished watching it. It's not as in-depth and intense as the TV series. It's a movie about one of the firemen who sacrifice himself to get something arranged for his family. They just focus on painting the fireman as a hero despite his fucked up past. They don't really go into what cause the reactor explosion and how they fixed it.

They don't show severe radiation poisoning like the TV show where the guy in unrecognizable in the hospital scene with the reporter interviewing him. In this movie, everyone either not showing symptoms yet or are in the early stages: nosebleed, puking, and minor skin burns. Everyone who died or are dying are still recognizable.

Overall, I rank it average. It's still worth watching if you're curious. The whole movie is in Russian, so you'll need English subtitles.

That's what I'm saying.....

That's the whole point, rather than actually discuss the event or anything that matters in it, they use a tragedy as an opportunity to portray Russians as heroes who saved all of Europe by sacrificing themselves. It's propaganda through and through, which in film is almost always mediocre at best, or outright horrible at worst. America does the same thing all the time, especially with films about our service members, and the same mediocre to utter shit scale holds true in my opinion.

My biggest beef, is that the Chernobyl series was condemned by Russia and they countered saying they'd make their own story to show the truth. Two years of waiting and this is what they come out with, a fucking fluff piece. Maybe they still plan to do a series, or more realistically after digging through what they had on file, they realized there was no realistic way to tell this story and paint themselves in a positive light.

It was a catastrophic and completely avoidable accident that could have absolutely obliterated Europe
In truth, those brave men who did go in believing it to be a suicide mission, all lived well past the event. They were also ordered to do so though, and it wasn't an option or something they could have bargained for. It's just an embarrassing way to go about telling such an epic story, especially after such a detailed and truly magnificent show already shed so much light on it. The HBO show did play the drama game and changed things to make it easier to stomach, but a lot of it was accurate based on actual eye-witness accounts, while other than three men went into the water, there doesn't seem to be anything even remotely substantial to this film.

e: I personally was excited to see Russia tell this story from their perspective. I wanted more information and to learn as much as I could about such a horrible event, so I got pretty excited when I saw your post. After watching the trailer and reading a bit about it, I'm just irked that Russia went with a total fucking Russian's are amazing copout, rather than telling the story.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jun 7 2021 06:02pm
Jun 7 2021 06:29pm
Once the reviews are out, the director is probably going to get the firing squad.
Gold: 144.33
Jun 8 2021 08:41pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 8 2021 12:57am)

That's the whole point, rather than actually discuss the event or anything that matters in it, they use a tragedy as an opportunity to portray Russians as heroes who saved all of Europe by sacrificing themselves. It's propaganda through and through, which in film is almost always mediocre at best, or outright horrible at worst. America does the same thing all the time, especially with films about our service members, and the same mediocre to utter shit scale holds true in my opinion.

My biggest beef, is that the Chernobyl series was condemned by Russia and they countered saying they'd make their own story to show the truth. Two years of waiting and this is what they come out with, a fucking fluff piece. Maybe they still plan to do a series, or more realistically after digging through what they had on file, they realized there was no realistic way to tell this story and paint themselves in a positive light.

It was a catastrophic and completely avoidable accident that could have absolutely obliterated Europe
In truth, those brave men who did go in believing it to be a suicide mission, all lived well past the event. They were also ordered to do so though, and it wasn't an option or something they could have bargained for. It's just an embarrassing way to go about telling such an epic story, especially after such a detailed and truly magnificent show already shed so much light on it. The HBO show did play the drama game and changed things to make it easier to stomach, but a lot of it was accurate based on actual eye-witness accounts, while other than three men went into the water, there doesn't seem to be anything even remotely substantial to this film.

e: I personally was excited to see Russia tell this story from their perspective. I wanted more information and to learn as much as I could about such a horrible event, so I got pretty excited when I saw your post. After watching the trailer and reading a bit about it, I'm just irked that Russia went with a total fucking Russian's are amazing copout, rather than telling the story.

I watched it today, none of what you said happens. It isn't a fluff piece at all and they don't shy away from the blame, they directly mention it is multiple times. Stysin says; "We should have thought better when they were building the damned thing, but we allowed it to be built so it would blow up. That's what I'm going to tell them. They can cover their asses all they want". To which Tropin replies; "Why don't you just mind your own business? Who are you fighting? The system? It's like radiation. Invisible, ever-present, and everlasting. Stop acting like a child". To which Stysin replies; "But I am a child. I'm a child of the Soviet regime". It's very clear what the message is from the interactions in this film, it's not propaganda.

It feels more authentic and accurate than the series, but less added drama. There really isn't that much difference between them.

It's a decent movie. It's basically episode 1 and 4 of Chernobyl, focusing on the firemen first responders then the volunteers who manually operated the valves.

More information about the true story: https://www.history.co.uk/article/the-real-story-of-the-chernobyl-divers

This post was edited by piatek on Jun 8 2021 09:11pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 9 2021 12:48am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 7 Jun 2021 17:57)

Just because the government handled the entire situation very poorly doesn't mean you should minimize the actual people on the ground who have nothing to do with the government corruption and did in fact sacrifice their lives to save a significant portion of Europe, and millions of lives.
Jun 9 2021 08:43am
Quote (piatek @ Jun 8 2021 07:41pm)
I watched it today, none of what you said happens. It isn't a fluff piece at all and they don't shy away from the blame, they directly mention it is multiple times. Stysin says; "We should have thought better when they were building the damned thing, but we allowed it to be built so it would blow up. That's what I'm going to tell them. They can cover their asses all they want". To which Tropin replies; "Why don't you just mind your own business? Who are you fighting? The system? It's like radiation. Invisible, ever-present, and everlasting. Stop acting like a child". To which Stysin replies; "But I am a child. I'm a child of the Soviet regime". It's very clear what the message is from the interactions in this film, it's not propaganda.

It feels more authentic and accurate than the series, but less added drama. There really isn't that much difference between them.

It's a decent movie. It's basically episode 1 and 4 of Chernobyl, focusing on the firemen first responders then the volunteers who manually operated the valves.

More information about the true story: https://www.history.co.uk/article/the-real-story-of-the-chernobyl-divers

That sounds a lot more like them blaming nuclear as a whole and their government for using it, versus a couple fucking idiots who pushed things because they were specifically told to do so..... Does it not? Shifting blame is what propaganda does. I stated I hadn't seen it yet and was making assumptions, but if that's the best example you have for the whole movie, I feel a lot more confident now than I did before.

Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 8 2021 11:48pm)
Just because the government handled the entire situation very poorly doesn't mean you should minimize the actual people on the ground who have nothing to do with the government corruption and did in fact sacrifice their lives to save a significant portion of Europe, and millions of lives.

What a pointless thing to say. Again, the three men who actually did save millions did not in fact sacrifice their lives. While it was an amazingly brave thing to do, they were following direct orders and would have suffered SEVERE consequences had they not done as they were told,
Gold: 144.33
Jun 9 2021 09:13am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 9 2021 03:43pm)
That sounds a lot more like them blaming nuclear as a whole and their government for using it, versus a couple fucking idiots who pushed things because they were specifically told to do so..... Does it not? Shifting blame is what propaganda does. I stated I hadn't seen it yet and was making assumptions, but if that's the best example you have for the whole movie, I feel a lot more confident now than I did before.

What a pointless thing to say. Again, the three men who actually did save millions did not in fact sacrifice their lives. While it was an amazingly brave thing to do, they were following direct orders and would have suffered SEVERE consequences had they not done as they were told,

No. They clearly state on multiple occasions that the people of the Soviet regime were responsible for building it incorrectly.

This post was edited by piatek on Jun 9 2021 09:18am
Jun 9 2021 09:48am
Quote (piatek @ Jun 9 2021 08:13am)
No. They clearly state on multiple occasions that the people of the Soviet regime were responsible for building it incorrectly.

That’s not true though? So…. Again, blaming workers and the product, not the people who actually caused the accident. Seems like a recurring thing throughout the movie, almost like it’s trying to fortify a false narrative. I wonder what else does that when trying to paint certain aspects in a better light? Oh, right, propaganda….

I guess by design you could blame the safety mechanisms in place that stopped their idiotic and dangerous experiment from working as intended. Otherwise, the blame rest solely on said experiment and the person who ordered the full stop. That’s the singular reason it exploded. A test the government wanted to be run by poorly trained and unqualified personnel.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jun 9 2021 09:51am
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll