d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows >
Poll > Chernobyl (2021) Russia Version Vs 2019 Tv Series
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 144.33
Jun 9 2021 09:50am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 9 2021 04:48pm)
That’s not true though? So…. Again, blaming workers and the product, not the people who actually caused the accident. Seems like a recurring thing throughout the movie, almost like it’s trying to fortify a false narrative. I wonder what else does that when trying to paint certain aspects in a better light? Oh, right, propaganda….

Yes it is true. They cut corners when making it to save money and time, which they also state when showing the blueprints and the fireman tells them about how some of it is wrong because they cut corners to meet deadlines set by the Soviet government. Workers don't act independently, they follow strict orders set by the state.

Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 9 2021 04:52pm)
So the explosion wasn’t a direct result of an experiment done on the morning of April 25th in 1986? Good to know.

A combination of multiple things, from it being built wrong to not following guidelines. https://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/safety-and-security/safety-of-plants/appendices/chernobyl-accident-appendix-1-sequence-of-events.aspx

Which is why in the film they state that 'people' caused it. It was a number of different peoples fault, which all lead up to it. Power stations aren't built the same way now where incorrect control rods can cause a spike.

Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 9 2021 04:52pm)
E: As I said before, my biggest gripe is that after the series came out, Russia was pissed, stating it was completely inaccurate and that they'd tell the story right at a later date. Two years later we get a superficial "they" fucked up, when we know EXACTLY who fucked up, and a fluff piece about the government helping out a guy's family for sacrificing himself. It couldn't be anymore of a fluff piece, especially with the precursor.

Fortunately it isn't a fluff piece, there's nothing cute, funny or unimportant about it. They didn't shy away from anything, they tackled it head on that the government and operators screwed up.

This post was edited by piatek on Jun 9 2021 10:15am
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 9 2021 09:52am
Quote (piatek @ Jun 9 2021 08:50am)
Yes it is true. They cut corners when making it to save money and time, which they also state when showing the blueprints and the fireman tells them about how some of it is wrong because they cut corners to meet deadlines set by the Soviet government.

So the explosion wasn’t a direct result of an experiment done on the morning of April 25th in 1986? Good to know.

It totally would have just blown up on it's own in a catastrophic way if they weren't doing stupid shit with it, again, makes sense and I appreciate the well thought out argument.

E: As I said before, my biggest gripe is that after the series came out, Russia was pissed, stating it was completely inaccurate and that they'd tell the story right at a later date. Two years later we get a superficial "they" fucked up, when we know EXACTLY who fucked up, and a fluff piece about the government helping out a guy's family for sacrificing himself. It couldn't be anymore of a fluff piece, especially with the precursor.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jun 9 2021 10:08am
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 9 2021 11:10am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 9 Jun 2021 08:43)
What a pointless thing to say. Again, the three men who actually did save millions did not in fact sacrifice their lives. While it was an amazingly brave thing to do, they were following direct orders and would have suffered SEVERE consequences had they not done as they were told,

Talking about pointless things to say. Do you not have any actual knowledge of the events? Hundreds of thousands of people were involved with doing many different things to keep the disaster contained. Not a single person kept track of everyone involved, but it is definitely likely that a number of them died earlier than they should have. Not to mention the men who you are referencing were volunteers. Yes, if no one volunteered some would have been forced, but that isn't what happened is it?

Around 600,000 decontamination workers, known as ‘liquidators’, were brought in to help clean up after the accident. They significantly helped to limit the short and long-term damage that the disaster had caused but thousands of them paid the ultimate price. Their bravery and sacrifice should also be remembered alongside the heroism of the Chernobyl divers.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Jun 9 2021 11:11am
Jun 9 2021 11:28am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 9 Jun 2021 09:52)

It totally would have just blown up on it's own in a catastrophic way if they weren't doing stupid shit with it, again, makes sense and I appreciate the well thought out argument.

You should probably watch this to better understand what happened.
https://youtu.be/hIGtTImeYU4

This post was edited by Blah58 on Jun 9 2021 11:37am
Jun 9 2021 12:24pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 9 2021 10:28am)
You should probably watch this to better understand what happened.
https://youtu.be/hIGtTImeYU4

Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 9 2021 10:10am)
Talking about pointless things to say. Do you not have any actual knowledge of the events? Hundreds of thousands of people were involved with doing many different things to keep the disaster contained. Not a single person kept track of everyone involved, but it is definitely likely that a number of them died earlier than they should have. Not to mention the men who you are referencing were volunteers. Yes, if no one volunteered some would have been forced, but that isn't what happened is it?

My understanding of what happened is fine, it's you who's fallen back on your all too familiar strategy of bringing up irrelevant information to try and *win* an online argument. The entirety of the discussion has been about what the movie portrayed, versus the reality of the situation....

The major incident that would have impacted millions of people and the majority of Europe (as explicitly stated), was in fact stopped by three individuals (and the people who planned it), which is what was being discussed when you interjected yourself into a conversation you apparently weren't following. Thousands of individuals played a role in the cleanup process that helped slow the fallout in the immediate area, I never claimed otherwise, but again, it's irrelevant to literally everything that was being discussed.

Maybe if the movie showed that these people were ordered without mercy to clean it up, given improper protective gear, and lied about how hazardous it was, then I'd have a little more respect for the film. It's a tragedy when people die like this, but being cannon fodder doesn't exactly make you a hero.... A hero would be someone who knowingly and willingly endangers themselves in a situation for the greater good. That's not the situation here, as saying no was never an option for any of these people, many of them didn't understand the risks and even after the fact many were denied fucking benefits because the government couldn't even keep track of who helped and who didn't.

From what I've read, the divers did know the risks, but hardly any of the other grunts did. It could be argued that those three were heroes, but as none of them died, your comment about sacrificed lives remains as irrelevant as I said it was.

Here's where you get angry and do absolutely everything but admit that you made a mistake, since we all know you're perfect.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jun 9 2021 12:45pm
Gold: 144.33
Jun 9 2021 03:20pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jun 9 2021 07:24pm)
My understanding of what happened is fine, it's you who's fallen back on your all too familiar strategy of bringing up irrelevant information to try and *win* an online argument. The entirety of the discussion has been about what the movie portrayed, versus the reality of the situation....

The major incident that would have impacted millions of people and the majority of Europe (as explicitly stated), was in fact stopped by three individuals (and the people who planned it), which is what was being discussed when you interjected yourself into a conversation you apparently weren't following. Thousands of individuals played a role in the cleanup process that helped slow the fallout in the immediate area, I never claimed otherwise, but again, it's irrelevant to literally everything that was being discussed.

Maybe if the movie showed that these people were ordered without mercy to clean it up, given improper protective gear, and lied about how hazardous it was, then I'd have a little more respect for the film. It's a tragedy when people die like this, but being cannon fodder doesn't exactly make you a hero.... A hero would be someone who knowingly and willingly endangers themselves in a situation for the greater good. That's not the situation here, as saying no was never an option for any of these people, many of them didn't understand the risks and even after the fact many were denied fucking benefits because the government couldn't even keep track of who helped and who didn't.

From what I've read, the divers did know the risks, but hardly any of the other grunts did. It could be argued that those three were heroes, but as none of them died, your comment about sacrificed lives remains as irrelevant as I said it was.

Here's where you get angry and do absolutely everything but admit that you made a mistake, since we all know you're perfect.

They say that in the movie, that the soldiers have no choice. You said at least 3 times in this thread that you haven't seen the film, yet you're written multiple paragraph critiques of what happens in it...

It's very clear from your first reply in this thread that your mind was already made up.

Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 9 2021 06:10pm)

He's an idiot with an agenda, which failed.

This post was edited by piatek on Jun 9 2021 03:21pm
Jun 9 2021 06:36pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 9 Jun 2021 12:24)

Reportedly 1/4 of Chernobyl’s miners later died of cancer and disease connected to radiation poisoning. There was a chance that the core would melt through the concrete and poison the black sea forever. But fuck all the miners that sacrificed to build a protective containment just because it luckily didn't happen right? Fucking losers provided no actual help to the containment.

You are so predictable. "I'm going to say something stupid, then when it's pointed out that what I said is stupid I'm going to derail the conversation in a hostile way because I can't take any amount of criticism without turning red, then I'm going to say 'Here's where you get angry and do absolutely everything but admit that you made a mistake, since we all know you're perfect.' Which is the exact same thing I say every time I want to stop being called out"

😂😂😂

Watch the video, educate yourself. Maybe you will look less stupid when talking about this subject in the future.

Quote (piatek @ 9 Jun 2021 15:20)

yeah I mean he is very clearly an extreme nationalist patriotic American. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he is a Trump supporting republican.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Jun 9 2021 06:38pm
Jun 10 2021 09:07am
Quote (piatek @ Jun 9 2021 02:20pm)
They say that in the movie, that the soldiers have no choice. You said at least 3 times in this thread that you haven't seen the film, yet you're written multiple paragraph critiques of what happens in it...

It's very clear from your first reply in this thread that your mind was already made up.

Did the lead of the film not get something arranged for his family prior to the final events, something that would have never happened? If this didn't happen and earlier comments were misleading and/or a false representation of what happened in the film, then I withdraw that particular point.

I explained what I was irritated about and you've provided absolutely nothing to dissuade that ire. How does this movie prove the events of the other series false? What is being clarified that wasn't previously? Is it a piece that adds anything at all to the events, or as you already said, does it just retell a small portion of the events, while painting Russian people in a more positive light? All of these are legitimate concerns, and you agreeing with someone who calls one of the most outspoken critics of the current American political system a "nationalist patriotic American" (especially when you consider that I explicitly mentioned America doing the same propaganda garbage in their films, like holy shit is this guy dumb or what?), should at least be disconcerting for you. I know I personally would have doubts, if only braindead dipshits like that agreed with me.

Once again, I already explained what I was hoping to see, and when the end result is the exact opposite, discontent should be anticipated. We can agree to disagree if you'd like, but nothing you've said has changed my opinion regarding this films lack of substantive content (which imo, is what makes something a fluff film). The narrative has been altered slightly and rather than showing the people as the expendable trash they were (this is not my personal opinion, but how the government treated them), they're painted as heroes. I mean, it works, look at the other dipshit in this thread. According to him, every single person who's ever been lied to and thrown away by their government, is a hero. Kinda makes sense for him, he can't even follow a conversation, but based on other posts I've seen of yours, you should be able to understand the context outside the film itself, and understand my irritation with it.

Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 9 2021 05:36pm)
Reportedly 1/4 of Chernobyl’s miners later died of cancer and disease connected to radiation poisoning. There was a chance that the core would melt through the concrete and poison the black sea forever. But fuck all the miners that sacrificed to build a protective containment just because it luckily didn't happen right? Fucking losers provided no actual help to the containment.

You are so predictable. "I'm going to say something stupid, then when it's pointed out that what I said is stupid I'm going to derail the conversation in a hostile way because I can't take any amount of criticism without turning red, then I'm going to say 'Here's where you get angry and do absolutely everything but admit that you made a mistake, since we all know you're perfect.' Which is the exact same thing I say every time I want to stop being called out"

😂😂😂

Watch the video, educate yourself. Maybe you will look less stupid when talking about this subject in the future.

yeah I mean he is very clearly an extreme nationalist patriotic American. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he is a Trump supporting republican.

I mean again, look how angry this fragile boy gets when anyone calls him out , is that truly the type of person you want to align with?

The guy is so braindead he can't even comprehend a simple response, yet alone respond to it without throwing a fit.... It's really sad to see the effects of narcissism on a person, but Blah is your textbook example.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jun 10 2021 09:36am
Jun 11 2021 02:12am
Luldidntread get mad bro.
Jun 12 2021 03:34am
Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 11 2021 01:12am)
Luldidntread get mad bro.

We both know that’s not true lol. I am proud of you though, you’ve learned to cut your losses and lie your way out of a situation, rather than embarrass yourself further. While everyone knows your ego holds you hostage in situations like these, learning some techniques to minimize your interactions, making yourself slightly less insufferable, will make for an easier life all around. Seriously buddy, I’m so proud of you.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll