d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Mortal Kombat Fans
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
May 23 2021 05:39pm
Quote (izParagonzi @ May 19 2021 11:21pm)
Quite interesting reading the posts from jadeoshbogosh and Kayeto.

Now... Mortal Kombat 1 ... Game and their storyline started years beforehand.

And it was NOT just on Earth.

Now, the later games and movies fill in the gaps... yes, it is similar to Star Wars or Peter Jacksons Lord of the Rings, but, how does one direct backlog of history here to bring it up to date for Mortal Kombat 1, shit, this doesn't include any other sequels.

Basically, the so called B-grade acting in Mortal Kombat movies are based on the fact that the Director or whatever was focused on the ACTION, thus hiring actual martial artists with skill, but NOT acting skill.

I mean for fudge sake... Jason Stratos (hopefully correct) would have been a GREAT actor for Johnny Cage). Liu Kang... who would you like to act for him? Jet Li maybe? or maybe Tony Jaa? there are multitudes of actors and CGI can change their age.

Sorry, see a lot of b-gen MK movies with no substance to the actual storyline of the game, they only give a minimal amount of history... maybe that is the issue.

Neither of those guys are good actors lol. Don't get me wrong, I like them both and enjoy their movies, but they can't act for shit.

I personally like the idea of going away from Kang as the lead. If they had someone who wasn't utterly trash play Cole (could have picked thousands of competent actors), then the movie would have been more enjoyable overall. The biggest fuck-ups on casting were Cole, Sonja, and Raiden. Kano was the only one that was actually good, but Kang, Lao, and Jax I could at least stomach. They somehow made the original Raiden by Lambert, one of the most outlandishly bad performances in video game film history, the better Raiden of the two. As Raiden wasn't involved in combat at all, there's ZERO justification for allowing his performance to be that painfully bad.

All that being said, it's still a combination of things. They could have casted all A-Listers for this and if they don't rewrite that dumpster fire of a script, it's still going to be the same end result.

Until a studio is willing to actually spend the necessary cash to start with a decent script and build a competent cast around it, we're not going to see a good film in this genre. The continuing trend has been to go all-in on special effects, violence, choreography, etc... Resident Evil, Silent Hill, WoW, MK, Prince of Persia, Rampage, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, it goes on and on and on. Even when they do put a TON of money into them for a cast + effects, they think we the viewers are stupid, so they massively change/dumb shit down, and put together a bland/boring script and try to make us ooh and awe with cool effects. It works with superhero films and your run-of-the-mill summer blockbusters, but that shit isn't going to fly with video game films. When you put together a shitty script and completely butcher the source material, you alienate fans of the franchise (who are the ones writing reviews online in the first place), and your casual viewers come away confused as fuck lol.

This is why I for one am so fucking ecstatic with the rise of premium streaming channels. We're in the golden age of television, where truly phenomenal shows, that cover every genre, are coming out multiple times a year. I think loads of comic/video-game/nerdy source material would be fucking PERFECT for this type of adaptation, but I've lost all hope in it ever happening on the big screen.
Gold: 10,025.00
May 23 2021 06:26pm
Quote (izParagonzi @ 20 May 2021 00:21)
Basically, the so called B-grade acting in Mortal Kombat movies are based on the fact that the Director or whatever was focused on the ACTION, thus hiring actual martial artists with skill, but NOT acting skill.

You don't need to give up acting to get good action. You just need to be willing to put in the time, which is something US media isn't willing to do. Jackie Chan has talked about this issue before, when he makes movies he spends weeks or months on each action sequence to get them down perfectly, in Hollywood you get maybe 2 days.

They aren't bad cuz you can't have both, they are bad cuz they don't give a fuck about spending the time to make it good cuz they know they will get a profit either way.

This post was edited by Blah58 on May 23 2021 06:26pm
Gold: 0.00
May 24 2021 08:15am
big hope for the 2021 movie
Gold: 130.00
May 25 2021 07:37am
Quote (scarecrow13 @ May 24 2021 05:15pm)
big hope for the 2021 movie

ull only be disappointed
Gold: 427,013.99
May 25 2021 05:07pm
Quote (CMBurns @ Apr 30 2021 08:23am)
Because they got a guy with martial arts experience working on blockbuster movies doing that first scene.

Dunno what the fuck happened for the rest of the movie. It was watchable, but not great. Kinda sad, cause I saw the first scene on Youtube and was pretty hyped when I got in the theater.

Exactly what I said. I thought the first part had the influence of the Machinma directors. The rest is not that great. Imagine if Cole had never existed in the movie.

This post was edited by ImVeryFood on May 25 2021 05:08pm
Gold: 15,078.06
Jun 1 2021 12:50am
I'm watching it now. Better than the 90s movie but still trash.
Gold: 130.00
Jun 1 2021 09:43am
Quote (Calipso @ Jun 1 2021 09:50am)
I'm watching it now. Better than the 90s movie but still trash.

i kinda like the 90s movies more lol
idk

was decent though, entertaining... exactly wat i was expecting to be honest
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll