d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Mortal Kombat Fans
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 30%
May 1 2021 02:39am
Quote (Secksii @ Apr 30 2021 02:38pm)
The first 7min was legit, then it felt like they said fuck it

That's what it felt like rofl. A few subzero fights and the fatality scene with kung lao were decent along with Kano but the rest were garb. The whole script was budget
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
May 1 2021 11:29pm
Quote (Secksii @ Apr 29 2021 07:38pm)
The first 7min was legit, then it felt like they said fuck it

Because the only dialogue was Im a foreign language, where it's harder to tell how hard they're phoning it in. Scorpion is also the only real actor in the entire film, which is probably why he only has 5M total of screen time lol.

As an answer to OPs question, it's a niche market. It's a video game movie, which attracts lower numbers and brings instant skepticism from previous track record. Then the big one, your average blockbuster isn't rated R, so that's a HUGE factor when they attempt to figure out the funding for the project. With that in mind, they then skimp on the cast/script/director, and they can go all out on the special effects, which outside a few moments, looked solid, and every other cent goes into advertising, including a fucking bait move by posting the first 7 minutes. Another huge problem, most *nerdy* films have time to ease you in with a single or a couple characters, this allows them to test the waters and see what works, while adjusting and signing big names to compensate. I would have prefer they tried for even some B listers at least, but considering the amount of effects and the heavy adds, 50M just wasn't close to enough.

Would I prefer that any studio takes a gamble and drops a ton of money on a real cast, a script that I wouldn't wipe my ass with, and a director who doesn't make his entire cast appear to have the range of Keanu Reeves? Absofuckinglutely, but Im a realist lol, and I don't see a studio dropping the necessary 100-120m needed to do this film properly with todays effects and the price for decent actors.

E: Seeing as the gains are only at 2M right now, we might not even get a sequel and this will again be a setback for video game adaptations.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on May 1 2021 11:33pm
Gold: 130.00
May 2 2021 01:22am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 2 2021 08:29am)
Because the only dialogue was Im a foreign language, where it's harder to tell how hard they're phoning it in. Scorpion is also the only real actor in the entire film, which is probably why he only has 5M total of screen time lol.

As an answer to OPs question, it's a niche market. It's a video game movie, which attracts lower numbers and brings instant skepticism from previous track record. Then the big one, your average blockbuster isn't rated R, so that's a HUGE factor when they attempt to figure out the funding for the project. With that in mind, they then skimp on the cast/script/director, and they can go all out on the special effects, which outside a few moments, looked solid, and every other cent goes into advertising, including a fucking bait move by posting the first 7 minutes. Another huge problem, most *nerdy* films have time to ease you in with a single or a couple characters, this allows them to test the waters and see what works, while adjusting and signing big names to compensate. I would have prefer they tried for even some B listers at least, but considering the amount of effects and the heavy adds, 50M just wasn't close to enough.

Would I prefer that any studio takes a gamble and drops a ton of money on a real cast, a script that I wouldn't wipe my ass with, and a director who doesn't make his entire cast appear to have the range of Keanu Reeves? Absofuckinglutely, but Im a realist lol, and I don't see a studio dropping the necessary 100-120m needed to do this film properly with todays effects and the price for decent actors.

E: Seeing as the gains are only at 2M right now, we might not even get a sequel and this will again be a setback for video game adaptations.

guess i thought MK had more fans than it does

thx for a great answer
Gold: 0.00
May 8 2021 03:37pm
Just watched the newest MK movie on HBO Max. It wasn't so bad. The acting was average but could have been much better. The story could also use improvements too. I felt some of the actors were not the best fit for there character especially how awful of a job they did with Kano. Liu Kang's actor did a good job with the calm voice to reflect his personality though.

Overall I would rate this 7/10

This post was edited by OrDe on May 8 2021 03:37pm
Gold: 100.00
May 9 2021 06:14am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 2 2021 06:29am)

dang you bodied dem into Oblivion :rofl: :rofl:
Gold: 63,142.89
May 19 2021 08:27pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 2 2021 01:29am)

I don't understand how studios aren't looking at the superhero formula and trying to replicate it with video game stories.

The Tobey Maguire Spiderman movie totally rewrote the landscape. They made a real movie with real actors and created a trend that now dominates the industry. This launched at a time when comic book movies were viewed as niche. RDJ turned Iron Man from something that people barely knew into one of the most recognizable movie characters of the generation.

-If Hollywood could adapt Final Fantasy 6 or 7 for the screen, they'd have a audience lined up to spoonfeed it to. But it would require them to go full "Peter-Jackson-LotR" with it and do it right.

-Apparently the Fast&fFurious movies do well. What's stopping them from copying the formula with a new movie branded as *Grand Theft Auto*? Low-hanging fruit if you ask me.

-Mario and Zelda could be turned into real movies, but it would take someone who could come up with a creative angle to make it feel grounded. Hell, maybe give it a comedy vibe (such as what was done with *Sonic* or *Your Highness*)
Gold: 8,888.88
May 19 2021 08:55pm
Don't think I watched this MK movie.
Watched others, all B-grade acting, so guess that is why I don't bother looking for new MK movies.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
May 19 2021 09:26pm
Quote (Kayeto @ May 19 2021 07:27pm)
I don't understand how studios aren't looking at the superhero formula and trying to replicate it with video game stories.

The Tobey Maguire Spiderman movie totally rewrote the landscape. They made a real movie with real actors and created a trend that now dominates the industry. This launched at a time when comic book movies were viewed as niche. RDJ turned Iron Man from something that people barely knew into one of the most recognizable movie characters of the generation.

-If Hollywood could adapt Final Fantasy 6 or 7 for the screen, they'd have a audience lined up to spoonfeed it to. But it would require them to go full "Peter-Jackson-LotR" with it and do it right.

-Apparently the Fast&fFurious movies do well. What's stopping them from copying the formula with a new movie branded as *Grand Theft Auto*? Low-hanging fruit if you ask me.

-Mario and Zelda could be turned into real movies, but it would take someone who could come up with a creative angle to make it feel grounded. Hell, maybe give it a comedy vibe (such as what was done with *Sonic* or *Your Highness*)

The problem is that most games have such convoluted and over-complicated plots, that doing a movie would be nearly impossible. A TV show though on a premium channel, something like what we're seeing with the Witcher, I'm all on board for that. FF7 has a fucked up nonsensical story and as much as I'd LOVE to see it adapted, it'd be straight cancer lol.

I'm with you though, I don't know why the studios refuse to take a chance on these. They ALWAYS go with fringe actors, or actors towards the end of their career that everyone thinks will bomb (Carrey in Sonic + fucking Cyclops), and they focus 100% on pumping everything into special effects, completely abandoning decent writing/acting/directing.

There are plenty that could be done well, Uncharted or Horizon Zero Dawn just to name a couple big titles would all be amazing and both have straight forward and easy to follow story lines, that could be fucking awesome on the big screen. I keep hoping that eventually a studio will take a chance and we'll see someone else put the right budget forward to rival other top tier action films and then we'll finally fucking see videogames break into cinema in a positive way. As soon as it happens, the flood gates will fucking open, just like with Spider-Man
May 20 2021 12:21am
Quite interesting reading the posts from jadeoshbogosh and Kayeto.

Now... Mortal Kombat 1 ... Game and their storyline started years beforehand.

And it was NOT just on Earth.

Now, the later games and movies fill in the gaps... yes, it is similar to Star Wars or Peter Jacksons Lord of the Rings, but, how does one direct backlog of history here to bring it up to date for Mortal Kombat 1, shit, this doesn't include any other sequels.

Basically, the so called B-grade acting in Mortal Kombat movies are based on the fact that the Director or whatever was focused on the ACTION, thus hiring actual martial artists with skill, but NOT acting skill.

I mean for fudge sake... Jason Stratos (hopefully correct) would have been a GREAT actor for Johnny Cage). Liu Kang... who would you like to act for him? Jet Li maybe? or maybe Tony Jaa? there are multitudes of actors and CGI can change their age.

Sorry, see a lot of b-gen MK movies with no substance to the actual storyline of the game, they only give a minimal amount of history... maybe that is the issue.
May 20 2021 01:00am
Okay... could not edit my previous post. Now, after looking at Martial artists and Actors I came across something interesting on IMDB:

"Auditioned for the role of Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat (1995), but lost out to Robin Shou."

The person that auditioned and lost was Jason Scott Lee who acted in as Bruce Lee in "Dragon" in 1993.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll