d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Student Loans Vs Tax Cuts
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Nov 29 2020 09:47am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 29 2020 09:44am)
I wouldnt cap the costs directly, I would cap the maximum rate of repayment (as a percentage of income, minus some fixed exemption for cost of life) that colleges or banks are entitled to. So banks would have no prospect of getting back their money from loans for worthless degrees anymore, etc.

This would indirectly mean that colleges cannot overcharge average folks for low value degrees which struggle to amortize anymore. Thus, the market would automatically allocate appropriate prices to the various degrees and colleges, at least going forward. By contrast, if we just cap university costs, we would see a massive mispricing, with top performing degrees being too cheap relative to their value on the labor market; and low value degrees still being overpriced.

I don't think its possible to have a degree be too cheap relative to the labor market. If theres a huge demand then you should make it cheaper if anything to encourage talent into those fields so we all benefit from the roles being filled.
Gold: 4,400.67
Nov 29 2020 09:52am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 29 Nov 2020 16:47)
I don't think its possible to have a degree be too cheap relative to the labor market. If theres a huge demand then you should make it cheaper if anything to encourage talent into those fields so we all benefit from the roles being filled.

If there is huge demand, there should be more grants or subsidies to incentivize talent going into those fields.

But that's a rather peripheral point anyway. The more important problem is that caps on university costs would not prevent low value degrees from still being overpriced, and they wouldnt alleviate the burden on students who struggle at the start of their job life. My proposal of caping the repayment of student loans to a fixed percentage of monthly income achieves all of that.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Nov 29 2020 09:52am
Gold: 32,161.71
Nov 29 2020 09:55am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 29 2020 09:52am)
If there is huge demand, there should be more grants or subsidies to incentivize talent going into those fields.

But that's a rather peripheral point anyway. The more important problem is that caps on university costs would not prevent low value degrees from still being overpriced, and they wouldnt alleviate the burden on students who struggle at the start of their job life. My proposal of caping the repayment of student loans to a fixed percentage of monthly income achieves all of that.

I don’t understand tbh

So tuition wouldn’t exist and your repayment would be a function of whatever you’re making?
Nov 29 2020 09:55am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 29 2020 09:52am)

But that's a rather peripheral point anyway. The more important problem is that caps on university costs would not prevent low value degrees from still being overpriced, and they wouldnt alleviate the burden on students who struggle at the start of their job life. My proposal of caping repayment of student loans to a fixed percentage of income achieves all of that.

Caps on tuition absolutely would alleviate struggle at the start of the job life. A 200 payment is easier than a 500 payment. It would have the exact same effect as a cap on repayment.

Quote (Bazi @ Nov 29 2020 09:55am)
I don’t understand tbh

So tuition wouldn’t exist and your repayment would be a function of whatever you’re making?

Thats just taxes!

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Nov 29 2020 09:56am
Nov 29 2020 10:09am
Quote (Bazi @ 29 Nov 2020 16:55)
I don’t understand tbh

No, tuition would still exist, student loans would still exist, but there would be a legal framework preventing whichever entity granted the loan (typically banks) from being entitles to more than x% of your monthly income post-graduation (with some flat exemptions to account for basic costs of living). Therefore, banks would simply stop granting loans for degrees which, on average, fail to achieve salaries worthy of their cost. A JD might still be worth several hundred grand, but a degree in lesbian dance therapy or epistemiology of the Occident would not.

Quote (Thor123422 @ 29 Nov 2020 16:55)
Caps on tuition absolutely would alleviate struggle at the start of the job life. A 200 payment is easier than a 500 payment. It would have the exact same effect as a cap on repayment.

No, it would not, lmao.

Under your proposal, someone who doesnt find a job after graduation would still be on the hook for $200/month, while he would pay $0 under my proposal. Furthermore, under your proposal, those who do great after college would still only pay $200, while they would pay far more under mine.

Capping tuition does nothing to solve any of the underlying issues or misallocations, while a cap on repayment rates would tie the financial burden and the job success of graduates to each other. "From each according to his (financial) ability..."

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Nov 29 2020 10:09am
Nov 29 2020 10:15am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 29 2020 10:09am)
No, tuition would still exist, student loans would still exist, but there would be a legal framework preventing whichever entity granted the loan (typically banks) from being entitles to more than x% of your monthly income post-graduation (with some flat exemptions to account for basic costs of living). Therefore, banks would simply stop granting loans for degrees which, on average, fail to achieve salaries worthy of their cost. A JD might still be worth several hundred grand, but a degree in lesbian dance therapy or epistemiology of the Occident would not.

No, it would not, lmao.

Under your proposal, someone who doesnt find a job after graduation would still be on the hook for $200/month, while he would pay $0 under my proposal. Furthermore, under your proposal, those who do great after college would still only pay $200, while they would pay far more under mine.

Capping tuition does nothing to solve any of the underlying issues or misallocations, while a cap on repayment rates would tie the financial burden and the job success of graduates to each other. "From each according to his (financial) ability..."

Im assuming the current system is otherwise in place where you can get forebearance with low income. Your idea is basically just the current system with lower income based repayment options.

People doing well paying more isn't a good thing in student loans. Theyre already paying a higher progressive tax rate after all.

Capping tuition solves the problem at its root. I think we have different ideas of what the system should look like so youre seeing things as a problem when I see it as how it should be

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Nov 29 2020 10:16am
Gold: 8,684.00
Nov 29 2020 10:23am
Trash classes and degrees exist because they're subsidized by student loans. The government acts as an irresponsible parent who gives a credit card to a young adult who doesn't know any better and doesn't understand cause and effect fully.

You won't get wise investment from a macro perspective as long as this exists and forgiving this unwise spending is just going to further encourage it.

This kind of already exists to a large extent but most in-demand degrees and fields already have varying mechanisms that subsidize/pay for that education. Like companies paying for your CPA, companies paying for your MBA, CFA, series exams, certifications, and so on. Personally, I think there are industries that are worth subsidizing at the graduate/doctoral level even to a larger extent than they currently are, fields like physics, high tech, engineering, etc but like I said they kind of already are to a certain extent. The software engineer already graduates where he has companies fighting for him with a million perks.

Nov 29 2020 10:35am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 29 Nov 2020 17:15)
Im assuming the current system is otherwise in place where you can get forebearance with low income.

Yeah, and those with middle income are strangled by their repayment rates.

Your idea is basically just the current system with lower income based repayment options.

That's the key idea: if we base the repayment rates on the income a degree allows the average graduate from a field to achieve, then this will automatically take the air out of inflated degree prices. Banks wouldnt be willing give out loans of X dollars for degrees where they have to, on average, expect to only recuperate <X. This, in turn, would mean that colleges have to lower the price tag for low value degrees.

People doing well paying more isn't a good thing in student loans. Theyre already paying a higher progressive tax rate after all.

People who have the financial breathing room paying more, so that those who have little to no breathing room can pay less, is generally a good thing. That's the kind of solidarity the political left is always talking about. We just have to find a sensible definition of "breathing room", so that people doing fine but not great arent soaked.

Capping tuition solves the problem at its root. I think we have different ideas of what the system should look like so youre seeing things as a problem when I see it as how it should be

Your idea is a system where people can get high value degrees for cheap. Which is a fine concept, but ultimately only feasible if most of higher education is government-run instead of private. You basically want the university system from continental Europe. Which isnt even a point of view I can disagree with; I personally benefitted a lot from this system after all. ;)

I just think that going from America's current system to the continental European system would be too big a jump. Imho, the U.S. system can be improved, can be made more equitable and see its financial pressure defused, without requiring such a huge (and frankly unrealistic) paradigm shift.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Nov 29 2020 10:37am
Gold: 2,617.52
Nov 29 2020 10:39am
Quote (duffman316 @ Nov 29 2020 08:45am)
This has been trending on twitter lately, that it cost more to give billionaires their tax cuts than it would have to write off student loan debt. Aside from despising poor people getting stuff for free (which i do) is there a reason the tax cuts would've been better than to reduce the financial burden on a large demographic of society carrying student loans?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2019/jun/30/student-debt-loan-forgiveness-bernie-sanders

Student Loan forgiveness punishes people that actually plan their lives correctly.

Just make the School responsible for the interest, its much easier and would solve the problem overnight.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 29 2020 09:31am)
The tax cuts for billionaires were a (predictable) mistake. Doesnt mean that full student loan forgiveness would be good policy. In particular, it would further fuel the political divisions along educational lines. College- and non-college-educated America are increasingly apart in their worldview, their values, their outlook on life, their policy preferences and their economic situation. A massive transfer of wealth from the general public (all taxpayers) toward one group is divisive policy in general, and even more so when the beneficiaries tend to be (and come from) a more privileged class. Furthermore, it would be divisive because those who had just finished paying off their student loan debt in recent years would be fucked over too.

On the fly, I cant come up with a good proposal that would solve the issue in a fair manner, but a full government bailout of student loan debt is not the solution.

"Taxcuts on billionaires" is such a 60-IQ commie spin. Rich people pay 90% of taxes in America.

You should support making schools responsible for the loan interest with me!

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Nov 29 2020 10:40am
Gold: 32,161.71
Nov 29 2020 10:59am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 29 2020 10:09am)

No, it would not, lmao.

Someone with a biology major will still end up in ridiculous amounts of debt even if they have a maximum amount they are having to pay with your proposal
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll