d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Student Loans Vs Tax Cuts
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 32,161.71
Nov 29 2020 09:26am
The fact is in the US there has never been a generation more financial worse off at this point in their lives compared to preceding generation, than current younger generation. Something NEEDS to be done given this is the richest country in the world and can afford it. It just has to be done fairly to properly benefit that generation and class. For example u can’t write off all loans per 2019 and fk everything 2020 and later. If you earn less than X, should be automatically entitled to some form of student Loan forgiveness regardless of when u went to college. It will get murkier with private loans and I think that population cannot be neglected. The ultimate goal is to get colleges to adjust these absurd prices while also providing a degree of relief . At a Bare minimum these loans need to be interest free imo.

Colleges need a rework through and through. There are only a handful of specialities that are worth going to college for now. A lot of high school graduates fell into the trap of just going to college because it will work out in the end. I feel you can only blame that demographic so much. A lot of shams when it comes to college. The text book industry is one of the biggest. As if general chemistry or general physicals have changed over the last 2 decades.

Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Nov 29 2020 09:28am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 29 Nov 2020 16:13)
Burger flippers and Amazon box slaves paying taxes to bail out college kids (who look down on them and proceed to vote for all the policies which make life harder for blue collar people like them) would of course be divisive policy, lol. One must be severely detached from reality to think otherwise.

This point is entirely unrelated to trickle down economics being a fraud. There is no logical incoherence in my position, which is that both wall street tax cuts and (blanket) student loan forgiveness are bad policy. But keep trying to stack even more tired buzzwords like "debunked" on top of each other, perhaps you'll some day convince someone with it.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ 29 Nov 2020 16:16)
How about we let the billionaire class pay a larger share, and use the money raised this way for policy which benefits everyone instead of policy which exclusively helps an already privileged segment of society?

the problem is not the consistency within your imaginary scenario, it's your ridiculous CHOICE of framing. refer to my previous post (and just for the record, many of those burger flippers are those college kids - the one's looking down on them are the spoiled brats of the people whose boots you love to lick so much): don't let the amazon box slaves pay for it, let jeff bezos, rex tillerson, and wilbur ross pick up the tab.
Gold: 4,400.67
Nov 29 2020 09:29am
Quote (krackprophet @ 29 Nov 2020 16:24)
The best argument is that a tax cut for the rich isn't giving people anything or costing us anything. Its simply taking less from someone and the government overspending.

Forgiving student debt is a literal wealth transfer from anyone who pays taxes to people in debt with student loans.

The best solution is to refinance with low interest rates, remove loan guarantees and let the market handle the rest. Those stuck paying those loans are a good reminder of what happens when government policy gives banks and universities free reign to suck trillions out of people with no way out.

Join the military if you want free college or do well in school and get some grants/scholarships.

Opportunity costs are a thing, you know? We can rail against overspending and waste all we want, in reality, reducing government spending will negatively affect the common people - even worse, making the state more "skinny" will disproportionately hurt the poor and the lower middle class.

I agree with the rest of your post though.
Gold: 0.00
Nov 29 2020 09:31am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 29 2020 09:29am)
Opportunity costs are a thing, you know? We can rail against overspending and waste all we want, in reality, reducing government spending will negatively affect the common people - even worse, making the state more "skinny" will disproportionately hurt the poor and the lower middle class.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

Didn't say good argument. Just the best one :)
Gold: 260.11
Nov 29 2020 09:35am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Nov 29 2020 08:56am)
Cap the interest rate on student loans to something like the current yield on a 10 year bond.

As far as forgiveness? Maybe after like 20 years which would also depend on how much they make and what % of income that payment is.

I don’t think forgiveness is a good idea though and I say that as someone that paid out of pocket for a bachelors and now a masters.

Part of being an adult is making sacrifices. If you want to have a nice job with a decent salary it’s on you to pick up the tab not have Joe Shmoe working at Dollar General making 12 dollars an hour pay for it in taxes.

If prices werent so out of line with the rest of the world and previous generations id agree.

IMO we should cap university cost as a minimum.
Nov 29 2020 09:37am
Quote (Bazi @ 29 Nov 2020 16:26)
The fact is in the US there has never been a generation more financial worse off at this point in their lives compared to preceding generation, than current younger generation. Something NEEDS to be done given this is the richest country in the world and can afford it. It just has to be done fairly to properly benefit that generation and class. For example u can’t write off all loans per 2019 and fk everything 2020 and later. If you earn less than X, should be automatically entitled to some form of student Loan forgiveness regardless of when u went to college. It will get murkier with private loans and I think that population cannot be neglected. The ultimate goal is to get colleges to adjust these absurd prices while also providing a degree of relief . At a Bare minimum these loans need to be interest free imo.

Colleges need a rework through and through. There are only a handful of specialities that are worth going to college for now. A lot of high school graduates fell into the trap of just going to college because it will work out in the end. I feel you can only blame that demographic so much. A lot of shams when it comes to college. The text book industry is one of the biggest. As if general chemistry or general physicals have changed over the last 2 decades.

Perhaps the most straightforward solution is to let the student loan bubble burst while we make sure that it's the colleges instead of the young generation who soak the damage. (I'll admit, however, that I'm unsure if it's possible to make that happen.)
Nov 29 2020 09:40am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 29 2020 09:37am)
Perhaps the most straightforward solution is to let the student loan bubble burst while we make sure that it's the colleges instead of the young generation who soak the damage. (I'll admit, however, that I'm unsure if it's possible to make that happen.)

How does it even burst ? U can’t declare bankruptcy on student loans
Gold: 260.11
Nov 29 2020 09:41am
Quote (Bazi @ Nov 29 2020 09:40am)
How does it even burst ? U can’t declare bankruptcy on student loans

You can but the standard is really high.

There was a case recently where somebody actually got away with it that made headlines.
Nov 29 2020 09:42am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Nov 29 2020 09:41am)
You can but the standard is really high.

There was a case recently where somebody actually got away with it that made headlines.

Interesting

I still don’t think you can at a systematic or statistically significant level with the way things currently stand
Nov 29 2020 09:44am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 29 Nov 2020 16:35)
If prices werent so out of line with the rest of the world and previous generations id agree.

IMO we should cap university cost as a minimum.

I wouldnt cap the costs directly, I would cap the maximum rate of repayment (as a percentage of income, minus some fixed exemption for cost of life) that colleges or banks are entitled to. So banks would have no prospect of getting back their money from loans for worthless degrees anymore, etc. It would also reduce the burden on those who struggle to find a job coming out of college.

This would indirectly mean that colleges cannot overcharge average folks for low value degrees (which struggle to amortize) anymore. Thus, the market would automatically allocate appropriate prices to the various degrees and colleges, at least going forward. By contrast, if we just cap university costs, we would see a massive mispricing, with top performing degrees being too cheap relative to their value on the labor market; and low value degrees still being overpriced.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Nov 29 2020 09:48am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll