d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > World Football - Soccer >
Poll > How Would You Complete The Season?
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 3.33
May 5 2020 11:05am
Quote (Pozer @ May 5 2020 02:47pm)
Bit of premature to say, they've not started yet - let's see how it works out first.

I don't think it is, they've controlled the virus on a country-wide level with a pop of 80m so ensuring the safety of a few thousand footballing staff will be a doddle.
Gold: 0.00
May 5 2020 11:21am
Quote (dro94 @ May 5 2020 01:40pm)
Why can the Germans get the virus under control and mass test players and staff to ensure safety but other countries can't?

How the fuck can you be surprised the germans do shit fast. Ain't you never heard of the blitzkrieg lad, it's in their blood.
Gold: 1,000.00
May 5 2020 04:27pm
Quote (WNxIrvine @ 4 May 2020 00:51)

This is what the teams at the bottom of the prem are saying. Brighton came out today crying about not wanting to play at neutral venues. I say fuck 'em. It's the same for every team and it's not other teams fault they are near the bottom. There's no fucking way we could run a prem season with 22/23 teams if we stick to the same time frame. We already have stupid fixture congestion as it is, and if the tv money is split another 3 ways, it's not fair on the teams that have done nothing wrong.

Delete the Mickey Mouse cup.

We all know it was out there just so that Arsenal could win something. Now, without Arsene, they can't even win that,i see no point in holding that competition any longer.

Personally would vote for a restart no matter the timeframe. In england the weather is shitty all year so doesn't really make a difference they're playing in april or july.

Although can't really see a lot of people upset at the thought of Liverpool not winning it for ...31 yeais, is it ?
Banned
Gold: 4,043.00
Warn: 10%
May 6 2020 08:56am
Quote (dro94 @ May 5 2020 06:05pm)
I don't think it is, they've controlled the virus on a country-wide level with a pop of 80m so ensuring the safety of a few thousand footballing staff will be a doddle.
It's probably something to do with the fact their general population isn't as full of pigshit stupid gammon.

There's very little detail so far how they're going through with this, what happens when a player tests positive before a match or immediately after?

This post was edited by Pozer on May 6 2020 08:58am
Gold: 245.00
May 6 2020 03:59pm
Its looking like they gonna just keep the season from last stop point, champion league has already dated
Gold: 4,575.00
May 7 2020 08:42am
Bundesliga is returning
Warn: 20%
May 9 2020 07:26pm
Quote (dro94 @ 5 May 2020 14:40)
Why can the Germans get the virus under control and mass test players and staff to ensure safety but other countries can't?

we're far from having it under control though. i think it's a rather risky endeavour to restart the league this early to be honest.
really torn on this though. on the one hand i miss football like crazy. it's almost as bad as not being able to play myself. but on the other hand, it seems like a rather unreasonable thing to prioritise to get running again.

then again, you could argue that considering how german clubs are structured and financed, it's vital for them to get back to generating revenue as early as possible. no billionaire backers to keep them afloat no matter what. also, if other football fans are only half as excited as i am about the return to SOME level of 'normalcy' (even though empty stadiums will be particularly strange in the football league that has by far the highest average attendance), one might say that it serves more than just the financial interests of the clubs and the league.

anyway, looking forward to next weekend, hoping that everything will work out ok...
May 10 2020 02:33am
Quote (fender @ May 10 2020 02:26am)
we're far from having it under control though. i think it's a rather risky endeavour to restart the league this early to be honest.
really torn on this though. on the one hand i miss football like crazy. it's almost as bad as not being able to play myself. but on the other hand, it seems like a rather unreasonable thing to prioritise to get running again.

then again, you could argue that considering how german clubs are structured and financed, it's vital for them to get back to generating revenue as early as possible. no billionaire backers to keep them afloat no matter what. also, if other football fans are only half as excited as i am about the return to SOME level of 'normalcy' (even though empty stadiums will be particularly strange in the football league that has by far the highest average attendance), one might say that it serves more than just the financial interests of the clubs and the league.

anyway, looking forward to next weekend, hoping that everything will work out ok...

What's the risk? They're all in their 20s/30s and in peak physical conditions, so the personal risk of coronavirus is incredibly low.

There could potentially be a risk to family members though, and that will need to be mitigated by not visiting older relatives.
Warn: 20%
May 10 2020 04:52am
Quote (dro94 @ 10 May 2020 10:33)
What's the risk? They're all in their 20s/30s and in peak physical conditions, so the personal risk of coronavirus is incredibly low.

There could potentially be a risk to family members though, and that will need to be mitigated by not visiting older relatives.

- there are serious concerns about fan groups congregating near stadiums (despite repeated pleas from health experts and club managers to stay away) to support their teams, leading to new infection hotspots.

- also, there's much more to a football match than just the 22 players 'in peak physical condition' on the pitch: people operating and preparing the stadium, drivers, caterers, tv crews, medical personnel... they all run an additional (and some might argue unnecessary) risk, and i would be genuinely surprised if they all were tested as regularly as those elite athletes, and could afford to just stay away from old people / family members for weeks.

- it could send the wrong signal and amplify the message of people who didn't take the virus seriously anyway, and opposed lockdown measures. they might argue that a restart of the bundesliga proves the limitations put on 'regular people' are unjustified and unreasonable.

- there's also the 'risk' for it to simply fail outright. there are strict quarantine measures (mandatory, two weeks) in place for teams that have positive tests. dynamo dresden, a club in 2. bundesliga, is currently affected by that, so their first two matches will be postponed. my guess is that if you have 2 or maybe 3 clubs in a league affected by that, it's basically impossible to guarantee a reasonably level playing field and fair schedule, and the whole thing could be canceled.

and those are just the first things that came to mind. again, i personally am excited, i see the positive sides of it, judging by my family's and friends' reactions probably more so than the average person. but i'm also well aware that a significant percentage of people aren't particularly reasonable, smart, or cautious - and that is, let's face it, even more true for football fans.

This post was edited by fender on May 10 2020 04:54am
May 10 2020 05:57am
Quote (fender @ May 10 2020 11:52am)
- there are serious concerns about fan groups congregating near stadiums (despite repeated pleas from health experts and club managers to stay away) to support their teams, leading to new infection hotspots.

- also, there's much more to a football match than just the 22 players 'in peak physical condition' on the pitch: people operating and preparing the stadium, drivers, caterers, tv crews, medical personnel... they all run an additional (and some might argue unnecessary) risk, and i would be genuinely surprised if they all were tested as regularly as those elite athletes, and could afford to just stay away from old people / family members for weeks.

- it could send the wrong signal and amplify the message of people who didn't take the virus seriously anyway, and opposed lockdown measures. they might argue that a restart of the bundesliga proves the limitations put on 'regular people' are unjustified and unreasonable.

- there's also the 'risk' for it to simply fail outright. there are strict quarantine measures (mandatory, two weeks) in place for teams that have positive tests. dynamo dresden, a club in 2. bundesliga, is currently affected by that, so their first two matches will be postponed. my guess is that if you have 2 or maybe 3 clubs in a league affected by that, it's basically impossible to guarantee a reasonably level playing field and fair schedule, and the whole thing could be canceled.

and those are just the first things that came to mind. again, i personally am excited, i see the positive sides of it, judging by my family's and friends' reactions probably more so than the average person. but i'm also well aware that a significant percentage of people aren't particularly reasonable, smart, or cautious - and that is, let's face it, even more true for football fans.

You can deploy police at the grounds to keep fans away if they do congregate.

Most people are still finding a way to do their jobs. Many have to go into work because they can't do it from home, and that inevitably puts them in more risk than if they stayed at home. Most people have to make sacrifices.

Outbreaks among players is a concern for restarting the season, that's the main point IMO. Many games would have to be delayed.
Go Back To World Football - Soccer Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll