d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Iran Boogaloo
Prev17980818283Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Jan 19 2020 10:52am
Quote (bogie160 @ Jan 19 2020 08:49am)
Just as planned.

If you really think that then I have a bridge to sell you
Gold: 285.00
Jan 19 2020 11:07am
Quote (krackprophet @ Jan 19 2020 11:35am)
8d chess. All according to plan.

American state = George Zimmerman's girlfriend - start some shit with an asshole

Iran = George Zimmerman - can't strike at person who made then mad directly

That air plane = Trayvon Martin --gets shot instead of person starting fight

This post was edited by Skinned on Jan 19 2020 11:07am
Gold: 0.00
Jan 19 2020 11:11am
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 19 2020 11:07am)
American state = George Zimmerman's girlfriend - start some shit with an asshole

Iran = George Zimmerman - can't strike at person who made then mad directly

That air plane = Trayvon Martin --gets shot instead of person starting fight

The real question I have: Trump Nobel for droning Solemeni?
Gold: 633.87
Jan 19 2020 11:31am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 19 2020 11:52am)
If you really think that then I have a bridge to sell you

This is the victory Obama could (read should) have had. All he had to do was keep pressure on the regime and let them bumble into making mistake after mistake.

Instead he overcomplicated a very easy position and found himself flying secret cash to Iranian clerics running their best version of a theocratic police state.

If Trump is having success here, just how dumb was Obama?
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 19 2020 11:43am
Quote (bogie160 @ 19 Jan 2020 18:31)
This is the victory Obama could (read should) have had. All he had to do was keep pressure on the regime and let them bumble into making mistake after mistake.

Instead he overcomplicated a very easy position and found himself flying secret cash to Iranian clerics running their best version of a theocratic police state.

If Trump is having success here, just how dumb was Obama?

The time wasnt ripe yet for such a development during Obama's term. For example, the cracks caused by them overextending militarily, economically and politically with their overseas adventures are now starting to show. This couldnt have happened yet in 2014 or even 2016.
Also, we really dont know how Iran would have reacted, and how the domestic situation in Iran would have unfolded, without the fluky shooting down of the airplane.

Gold: 260.11
Jan 19 2020 12:21pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 19 2020 11:43am)
The time wasnt ripe yet for such a development during Obama's term. For example, the cracks caused by them overextending militarily, economically and politically with their overseas adventures are now starting to show. This couldnt have happened yet in 2014 or even 2016.
Also, we really dont know how Iran would have reacted, and how the domestic situation in Iran would have unfolded, without the fluky shooting down of the airplane.

It's also worth noting that a total collapse of Iran's government is something we should want to avoid at all costs. A total revolution would be very very bad for the stability of the region so keeping total pressure on Iran isn't a good strategy. Applying pressure and then giving them opportunity to alleviate pressure with positive reforms is the best way to go about this kind of situation, which was what Obama's goal was, and was the point of his "terrible deal". The Iran deal was pretty much how Obama operates, by making slow concessions to the other side and giving them an opportunity to act in good faith in return. My biggest point of criticism is how he then handles the other side not acting in good faith afterwards, he basically just lets them get away with it. He did it with Republicans and he did it to some extent with Iran. Obama was too bland to really hold his opposition's feet to the fire.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jan 19 2020 12:22pm
Gold: 1.93
Jan 19 2020 12:34pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 20 2020 05:21am)
It's also worth noting that a total collapse of Iran's government is something we should want to avoid at all costs. A total revolution would be very very bad for the stability of the region so keeping total pressure on Iran isn't a good strategy. Applying pressure and then giving them opportunity to alleviate pressure with positive reforms is the best way to go about this kind of situation, which was what Obama's goal was, and was the point of his "terrible deal". The Iran deal was pretty much how Obama operates, by making slow concessions to the other side and giving them an opportunity to act in good faith in return. My biggest point of criticism is how he then handles the other side not acting in good faith afterwards, he basically just lets them get away with it. He did it with Republicans and he did it to some extent with Iran. Obama was too bland to really hold his opposition's feet to the fire.

Rather see them toppled and replaced with a secular government, iraq too.
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 19 2020 12:58pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ 19 Jan 2020 19:34)
Rather see them toppled and replaced with a secular government, iraq too.

If any nation in the Middle East is ready for a secular government, it has to be Iran. The chances of a secular state working out and not being swallowed up by islamists at the next best opportunity (like what happened in Egypt or Libya) are highest in Iran. But I still doubt it; I'd still estimate this chance at sub-50%.
Gold: 8,933.00
Jan 19 2020 01:01pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 19 2020 12:21pm)

Why? Because a fundamentalist theocracy might emerge?
Gold: 1.93
Jan 19 2020 01:02pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 20 2020 05:58am)
If any nation in the Middle East is ready for a secular government, it has to be Iran. The chances of a secular state working out and not being swallowed up by islamists at the next best opportunity (like what happened in Egypt or Libya) are highest in Iran. But I still doubt it; I'd still estimate this chance at sub-50%.

Iraq is begging for one.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev17980818283Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll