d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > White Vga Light > Please Help!
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,604.79
Dec 5 2019 10:34pm
Newly built computer

CPU: Ryzen 3800
Motherboard: TUF Gaming X570 - Plus Wifi
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT

Used for accumulation of about 7 hours more or less

Randomly lose my display and the VGA light shines white on the motherboard.
Tried Different HDMI Cords
Tried Different Monitor
Tried reseating GPU in diff slots
Tried old GPU in current MOBO
Exchanged MOBO at store
Reseated Ram
Tried old PSU
Tried NO GPU and HDMI into MOBO

Please help, I've tried all these and the same white light stays on and I cannot get a display, nor can I get into BIOS.

Will pay if someone gives me the solution!
Gold: 10,655.00
Dec 6 2019 01:39am

First thing I would do is figure out why I couldn't get into the BIOS. You should be able to spam the DEL key (Delete key) during the beginning of the boot sequence, to get into the BIOS.

As for the vid card... quite a few folk have been having trouble with the drivers for the 5700 XT
Dec 6 2019 12:20pm
It’s kinda like my comp won’t boot... the MOBO usually runs through all the lights, but it stops at VGA
Dec 6 2019 02:53pm
Quote (dwarf1579 @ Dec 6 2019 01:20pm)
It’s kinda like my comp won’t boot... the MOBO usually runs through all the lights, but it stops at VGA

The vid card needs to be properly seated in the slot, and needs the proper power leads. If it has those and it's still failing POST (test), then you have a problem with the motherboard or the vid card, or the power supply.

IF you have a modular power supply, are you sure you have the power supply ends of the vid card cables attached properly.

/e What is the make/model of your power supply?

This post was edited by Ghot on Dec 6 2019 02:55pm
Dec 6 2019 05:42pm
Quote (Ghot @ Dec 6 2019 03:53pm)
The vid card needs to be properly seated in the slot, and needs the proper power leads. If it has those and it's still failing POST (test), then you have a problem with the motherboard or the vid card, or the power supply.

IF you have a modular power supply, are you sure you have the power supply ends of the vid card cables attached properly.

/e What is the make/model of your power supply?

I used my old 970, same result. I swapped for another MB at Canada Computers; same result.

Corsair TX750M 80 + Gold
Dec 6 2019 09:45pm
Quote (dwarf1579 @ Dec 6 2019 06:42pm)
I used my old 970, same result. I swapped for another MB at Canada Computers; same result.

Corsair TX750M 80 + Gold

IF you already connected the 8 pin CPU power cable in the top left of the motherboard... try to reset the BIOS to defaults, by turning off the computer, turning off the switch on the back of the power supply, then holding down the case power button for 5 seconds. Then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for about 60 seconds.

The problem could still be the motherboard or the power supply. I guess it could also be the motherboard standoffs as well. There should be one for each screw, no more, no less.

You didn't mention which store you bought the components from, but a store like Best Buy or even Micro Center could probably test the motherboard or the power supply for you.

It could even be the CPU thermal compound has leaked out into the CPU pins.

For some reason your motherboard is failing the POST. Is it making any "beep" sounds?

Dec 6 2019 09:54pm
Quote (Ghot @ Dec 6 2019 10:45pm)
IF you already connected the 8 pin CPU power cable in the top left of the motherboard... try to reset the BIOS to defaults, by turning off the computer, turning off the switch on the back of the power supply, then holding down the case power button for 5 seconds. Then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for about 60 seconds.

The problem could still be the motherboard or the power supply. I guess it could also be the motherboard standoffs as well. There should be one for each screw, no more, no less.

You didn't mention which store you bought the components from, but a store like Best Buy or even Micro Center could probably test the motherboard or the power supply for you.

It could even be the CPU thermal compound has leaked out into the CPU pins.

For some reason your motherboard is failing the POST. Is it making any "beep" sounds?

PSU and Motherboard from Canada Computers
GPU From Vuugo
CPU From Amazon

I tried resetting BIOS to default. Didn't work

I exchanged motherboards because I thought it might be a motherboard issue... but the new one I brought back had same issue right away.

Lets say the thermal paste did leak into the CPU pins.. would I use alcohol wipes to gentle and carefully remove?
Dec 6 2019 10:07pm
Quote (dwarf1579 @ Dec 6 2019 10:54pm)
PSU and Motherboard from Canada Computers
GPU From Vuugo
CPU From Amazon

I tried resetting BIOS to default. Didn't work

I exchanged motherboards because I thought it might be a motherboard issue... but the new one I brought back had same issue right away.

Lets say the thermal paste did leak into the CPU pins.. would I use alcohol wipes to gentle and carefully remove?

If it happened, I'd use Isopropyl alcohol, 90% or better (you can get it cheap at a drugstore. If not on the shelf ask the pharmacist for the 90%+ stuff)

Just so ya know it could still be the power supply or the motherboard. Two bad motherboards in a row is rare but it can happen.

You could also do the paperclip test on the power supply. But with the newer power supplies you may have to hook a case fan to it.

https://howchoo.com/g/nmu4mtjjnzq/how-to-diagnose-a-psu-without-any-tools

If the power supply fan doesn't turn... hook a case fan to the power supply. The case fan should turn. Some power supply fans won't come on till the power supply gets hot, so we use a case fan instead.

Another troubleshooting step would be to hook up the motherboard, RAM and vid card, outside the case. Like on the motherboard box.
The motherboard should pass the POST with just the 24 pin and the 8 pin CPU connector... and the CPU and cooler, RAM and Vid card, hooked up.

Dec 6 2019 10:16pm
Quote (Ghot @ Dec 6 2019 11:07pm)
If it happened, I'd use Isopropyl alcohol, 90% or better (you can get it cheap at a drugstore. If not on the shelf ask the pharmacist for the 90%+ stuff)

Just so ya know it could still be the power supply or the motherboard. Two bad motherboards in a row is rare but it can happen.

You could also do the paperclip test on the power supply. But with the newer power supplies you may have to hook a case fan to it.

https://howchoo.com/g/nmu4mtjjnzq/how-to-diagnose-a-psu-without-any-tools

If the power supply fan doesn't turn... hook a case fan to the power supply. The case fan should turn. Some power supply fans won't come on till the power supply gets hot, so we use a case fan instead.

Another troubleshooting step would be to hook up the motherboard, RAM and vid card, outside the case. Like on the motherboard box.
The motherboard should pass the POST with just the 24 pin and the 8 pin CPU connector... and the CPU and cooler, RAM and Vid card, hooked up.

I tried testing it outside the case. still stops at the same spot.

I tried my old power supply on the new system and it still didn't work
Dec 6 2019 10:25pm
Quote (dwarf1579 @ Dec 6 2019 11:16pm)
I tried testing it outside the case. still stops at the same spot.

I tried my old power supply on the new system and it still didn't work

I'm assuming your old power supply had an 8 pin CPU connector. I'm also assuming you checked the case front panel connectors on the motherboard.

Then I would call ASUS tech support. For all I know there may be some plastic stickers, somewhere on these new motherboards. Maybe on the CMOS battery, the vid card slot?

Only thing you haven't tried it seems is the RAM. Try ONE stick in each of the four slots, and then the other stick in each of the four slots.

/e Like I said before, some folk have been having issues with the drivers for the 5700 XT.

You could try this... on one of those times when it boots.

DDU Instructions - AMD
1. Get this program, here: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ ...get the latest version, and save it to your desktop.
2. Get your vid card driver here, use the Manual Search: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download ...save this to your desktop.
3. Run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) choose: AMD, then choose the "Highly Recommend Option", and just do what it tells you. If it wants to go into "Safe Mode", let it.
4. After it's done and comp has rebooted to normal mode, just double click the AMD driver ( that you saved to your desktop in step #2) ...to install. If it want's to reboot, let it.

/ee There's not much left except the motherboard. Like I said...you may have just gotten two bad ones in a row. I have no clue about Canada computers and their business practices.
Those are new motherboards so the CMOS batteries are probably good.

Take the board back again...it'd be faster than RMAing it.

This post was edited by Ghot on Dec 6 2019 10:51pm
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll