d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Massdrop Senn Hd 6xx Still Best In Price? > For Casual Music And Suggest An Amp
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,221.76
Nov 12 2019 01:27pm
Thanks for the input!

So, I just got the headphones HD6xx from massdrop. They sound great. My soundcard Xonar DGX seems to be able to power these quite well...

Most songs are loud enough between 60% to 100% volume. This is with the amp section turned on highest setting for the soundcard. I can definitely tell when the amp is not on then the headphones are very low in volume even at 100%.

So, I am debating if I actually need an external amp/dac? If it is plenty loud with the soundcard then it should not sound much better with an external amp/dac?

I don't hear any hissing. So chances are if I do get an amp, then a DAC isn't needed? Or is it possible an external amp can introduce issues that require a DAC?
Gold: 84.10
Nov 12 2019 03:09pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ Nov 12 2019 01:27pm)
Thanks for the input!

So, I just got the headphones HD6xx from massdrop. They sound great. My soundcard Xonar DGX seems to be able to power these quite well...

Most songs are loud enough between 60% to 100% volume. This is with the amp section turned on highest setting for the soundcard. I can definitely tell when the amp is not on then the headphones are very low in volume even at 100%.

So, I am debating if I actually need an external amp/dac? If it is plenty loud with the soundcard then it should not sound much better with an external amp/dac?

I don't hear any hissing. So chances are if I do get an amp, then a DAC isn't needed? Or is it possible an external amp can introduce issues that require a DAC?

if you can get ear damaging sound I think you will be fine unless you want to go the moneypit route lol
Nov 12 2019 03:20pm
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Nov 12 2019 04:09pm)
if you can get ear damaging sound I think you will be fine unless you want to go the moneypit route lol

Just checking if somehow an amp would be a benefit even if its loud enough. But other than the slight chance I am causing my sound card to clip the signal, which I doubt.

there might be just a few songs that are slightly lower and might benefit from an amp, like classical music or older stuff. But for the most part 60% of volume is decent listening but 100% I can handle, yet its very loud.

I guess I'd only get an amp/dac for my laptop? I think an O2 DAC/amp seems easiest/cheapest all-in-1 solution at $150 for laptop. Unless theres a portable one that doesnt need a wall outlet?
I do use my laptop to hook up to my projector and might want to use my headphones at times.

This post was edited by noob_whacker on Nov 12 2019 03:22pm
Nov 12 2019 03:29pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ Nov 12 2019 03:20pm)
Just checking if somehow an amp would be a benefit even if its loud enough. But other than the slight chance I am causing my sound card to clip the signal, which I doubt.

there might be just a few songs that are slightly lower and might benefit from an amp, like classical music or older stuff. But for the most part 60% of volume is decent listening but 100% I can handle, yet its very loud.

I guess I'd only get an amp/dac for my laptop? I think an O2 DAC/amp seems easiest/cheapest all-in-1 solution at $150 for laptop. Unless theres a portable one that doesnt need a wall outlet?
I do use my laptop to hook up to my projector and might want to use my headphones at times.

sdac o2 combo works

CTH + SDAC DAC/Amp hybrid would prolly be fun with those cans
Nov 12 2019 03:37pm
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Nov 12 2019 04:29pm)
sdac o2 combo works

CTH + SDAC DAC/Amp hybrid would prolly be fun with those cans

Ive read that tube amps can alter the sound and generally are specific in taste?
Gold: 10,655.00
Nov 12 2019 04:28pm
Any sound system is only as good as it's weakest link. OI dunno how you intend to wire this up, but if the sound is originating from the sound chip in the laptop, then that's as good as it will get. Amplifying it just makes it louder.

Tube amps are actually better, more true to sounds like the human voice. Tube amps are analog, so is the human voice. Digital devices necessarily "clip" the analog waveforms from say... the human voice.
The downside to tube amps is heat, money and they aren't as "sturdy" as digital amps. These days, digital is getting so good, only a true audiophile would hear the difference.

/e These two things are true of any audio setup. For the modern add on devices though, you'll need someone more modern than me. :D

This post was edited by Ghot on Nov 12 2019 04:41pm
Gold: 0.00
Nov 12 2019 09:01pm
So much wrong in that post, but im on my phone so.. 🤷‍♀️
Nov 12 2019 11:07pm
Rikuo, if u get a chance, curious what you think is wrong lol

I think the source of the music is what matters, such as the software player used as well as the file type and quality of the music.

Next is that a DAC is used to clean up the sound...?
Gold: 10,655.00
Nov 12 2019 11:37pm
I'm curious too. There's no way to make a signal better than it's source. You can dumb it down and make it seem better, I guess. But then it won't be the same signal any more. It's literally impossible to make it "better" than it's source, and still have the "same" signal when you're finished.

/e I spent 5 years of my life generating and transmitting this signal.... 24/7/365.

We started the generation with a cesium oscillator (accurate to a fempto-second for the very reason, that it can only degrade) and with various pieces of the best gear available in the world, created the signal you see above.

http://jproc.ca/hyperbolic/loran_c_sigchar.html

On the receiving end it has to be accurate to a fraction of a micro-second, or someone's head was gonna roll. :)

/ee As I said above... I have no clue about the new audio gear, but you still can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. At least not w/o a time machine. :)

This post was edited by Ghot on Nov 13 2019 12:01am
Nov 13 2019 12:39pm
Quote (Ghot @ Nov 12 2019 11:37pm)
I'm curious too. There's no way to make a signal better than it's source. You can dumb it down and make it seem better, I guess. But then it won't be the same signal any more. It's literally impossible to make it "better" than it's source, and still have the "same" signal when you're finished.

/e I spent 5 years of my life generating and transmitting this signal.... 24/7/365.

http://jproc.ca/hyperbolic/lorc_apulse.gif

We started the generation with a cesium oscillator (accurate to a fempto-second for the very reason, that it can only degrade) and with various pieces of the best gear available in the world, created the signal you see above.

http://jproc.ca/hyperbolic/loran_c_sigchar.html

On the receiving end it has to be accurate to a fraction of a micro-second, or someone's head was gonna roll. :)

/ee As I said above... I have no clue about the new audio gear, but you still can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. At least not w/o a time machine. :)

i agree on this
people make this such a huge deal
placebo effect is the raw

dac job is to do what?
amp job is to do what?

and both to make it as clean as possible this is where implementation is huge deal
after all that you are paying for micro measurements that pretty much go unnoticed by most
its like a pissing concest after the plateau

and on tubes though better is subjective because they actually color the sound which is altering the original
but headphones, amps, equalizing and speakers do the same thing all about implementation and if it alters the sound from the original
this is how sound becomes so subjective because of user preferences

This post was edited by yupitsmeh on Nov 13 2019 12:49pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll