d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Joker > The Jokes On You
12313Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.66
Oct 5 2019 04:14am
Saw it and loved it. I give it 9/10. The movie is darker than The Dark Knight. Joaquin knocked this one out the park. I was cheering for him all the way. Finally, DC makes a good live action film for fuck sakes. It’s long overdue. Nothing but garbage movies after The Dark Knight Rises. That was 7 years ago!
Gold: 2,094.99
Oct 5 2019 10:24am
I saw it Thursday night & loved it. Phoenix knocked it out of the fucking park. He absolutely killed it. The cast was great, the music was perfect, the script was awesome & it had some really funny parts, although most of it was some fucked up dark humor. It’s hard to de-throne Heath’s joker.....but Phoenix might have done it. With Heath’s joker, & really every other joker, when we met them, they’re already “the Joker”. However with Phoenix’s portrayal you have the privilege of seeing him devolve from a full fledge human, albeit with some a major mental health problems, to a complete psychopath....& it’s phenomenal. I was rooting for him the entire movie. This was the first movie I’ve seen in a long time that fully matched my expectations. Easy 9/10

This post was edited by IgoSoHard on Oct 5 2019 10:25am
Gold: 8,355.04
Oct 5 2019 04:24pm
Quote (IgoSoHard @ Oct 5 2019 12:24pm)
I saw it Thursday night & loved it. Phoenix knocked it out of the fucking park. He absolutely killed it. The cast was great, the music was perfect, the script was awesome & it had some really funny parts, although most of it was some fucked up dark humor. It’s hard to de-throne Heath’s joker.....but Phoenix might have done it. With Heath’s joker, & really every other joker, when we met them, they’re already “the Joker”. However with Phoenix’s portrayal you have the privilege of seeing him devolve from a full fledge human, albeit with some a major mental health problems, to a complete psychopath....& it’s phenomenal. I was rooting for him the entire movie. This was the first movie I’ve seen in a long time that fully matched my expectations. Easy 9/10

The two really shouldn’t be compared. They have the same name but other than that they are completely different characters

Anyway the movie gets an 8 from me
Gold: 3.33
Oct 5 2019 05:00pm
I thought it was very good but I take issue with some of Arthur's personality traits. He isn't intelligent in the film but he's supposed to be a smart guy who is capable of understanding complex chemistry. Hope Phoenix plays the Joker in the next Batman film because he's quite captivating to watch.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 5 2019 06:50pm
Quote (dro94 @ Oct 5 2019 04:00pm)
I thought it was very good but I take issue with some of Arthur's personality traits. He isn't intelligent in the film but he's supposed to be a smart guy who is capable of understanding complex chemistry. Hope Phoenix plays the Joker in the next Batman film because he's quite captivating to watch.

He's socially broken, but his intelligence is never actually tested throughout the film. Someone this awkward can come off as dumb or slow, but it's often the exact opposite. Him breaking the restraints of societal norms that have held him in check and made him a freak when attempting to pretend to be normal, should allow for a seamless transformation to the mastermind Joker that we know and love.

I don't know if Phoenix will ever continue his portrayal, but he was brilliant. I have a few minor gripes with pacing, escalation points, and minor character performances (absolutely hated the portrayal of Thomas Wayne), but outside that, it was an enjoyable flick that had me laughing in all the most fucked up places.

I'd go 8.5/10 and I would be extremely interested in seeing a follow up film.

SPOILERS

That scene where his coworkers come and visit him and Gary the midget can't reach the fucking chain lock had me dying. It was a fairly empty theater, but it was like me and two girls on the other side of the theater dying while no one else was really laughing. Little bit awkward, but that shit slayed me.
Gold: 3.33
Oct 6 2019 01:34am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 6 2019 01:50am)
He's socially broken, but his intelligence is never actually tested throughout the film. Someone this awkward can come off as dumb or slow, but it's often the exact opposite. Him breaking the restraints of societal norms that have held him in check and made him a freak when attempting to pretend to be normal, should allow for a seamless transformation to the mastermind Joker that we know and love.

I don't know if Phoenix will ever continue his portrayal, but he was brilliant. I have a few minor gripes with pacing, escalation points, and minor character performances (absolutely hated the portrayal of Thomas Wayne), but outside that, it was an enjoyable flick that had me laughing in all the most fucked up places.

I'd go 8.5/10 and I would be extremely interested in seeing a follow up film.

SPOILERS

That scene where his coworkers come and visit him and Gary the midget can't reach the fucking chain lock had me dying. It was a fairly empty theater, but it was like me and two girls on the other side of the theater dying while no one else was really laughing. Little bit awkward, but that shit slayed me.

His intelligence is definitely tested throughout the film. The delusion at the start where Murray picks him out of the audience and talks about his mother proudly without the realisation it's something viewers would pick up as a negative point. When he takes at face value that he's Thomas Wayne's son.
Gold: 15,241.22
Oct 6 2019 01:42am
overall i liked the movie. after getting burned by ad astra i really didnt like the long drawn out pace of this movie. but its definitely the best dc has done in a long time.

Quote (dro94 @ Oct 6 2019 02:34am)
His intelligence is definitely tested throughout the film. The delusion at the start where Murray picks him out of the audience and talks about his mother proudly without the realisation it's something viewers would pick up as a negative point. When he takes at face value that he's Thomas Wayne's son.

spoiler

i mean tbh in that universe im not totally convinced he isnt waynes illegitimate bastard.

does it seem unlikely, definitely. but throwing that photo in after he has already forsaken his mother and embraced the madness casts a shadow of doubt about what is reality.

Gold: 0.00
Oct 7 2019 09:53am
Movie looks like more Hollywood liberal garbage.
Gold: 250.00
Oct 7 2019 04:22pm
Quote (dro94 @ Oct 6 2019 12:34am)

Again, these are social interactions. He took his mother at her word and upon learning of her deceit, fucking murdered her lol. Socially awkward to the point of coming off as slow? most definitely. Actually slow? Highly doubtful, but again, his intelligence was never actually tested in the film. A son trusting their mother doesn't make you stupid. Continuing to trust after being clearly lied to is another matter all together. Killing someone after they lie just makes you a psychopath.
Gold: 2,094.99
Oct 7 2019 04:45pm
I agree with you Josh, the Thomas Wayne thing was kind of weird....it just...didn’t do it for me, idk. Then the scene where the midget walks by, & Arthur fake jumps at him....gold
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
12313Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll